Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
family talk
Hello everyone [Image: smile.gif]

As I’ve mentioned in some of my earlier posts, I’m having a baby soon. (I’m one week shy of 8 months now). As I’ve also mentioned before; my Japanese isn’t the best, not 100% rather. -My mother spoke very limited Japanese to me as a child. Since then, I’ve began studding Japanese on my own, but I think it has left my conversational skills as rather…”text-bookish”, or at least, that’s what I fear.

So, as of lately I’ve been looking for material stoutly teaching colloquial speech. But what I really want is lessons on Japanese limited to small children. I want to know how to reprimand, tease and converse with my child, still with the right usage and correct grammar, exc. (BTW, if anyone has seen books are sites on this matter, I would love to know!)

I know this mostly calls for dictionary form… but I am sure there are a few things shared within family not reviewed in books, simply for the fact most wouldn’t see it necessary to learn.

Could some of you, whose parents spoke fluently in your home growing up, share with us some of the common phrases/talk/scolding/cute words used in your household?

It would be very much appreciated [Image: smile.gif]
Aya
There's specific words in Japanese for baby-talk... i.e. "manma" for "food," "poppo" for "fish" etc. Not sure if there's specifically a book on that sort of thing, or if that's really what you're looking for, though.

However, my mom/grandparents just spoke to me in simple sentences and whatnot. They used a few child-oriented words (like "okushu" for "kusuri"), but for the most part, it was just "softer" Japanese. Kids seem to respond better to feminine Japanese, than the harder male tones/words.

When scolded, I was often told, "Kora! Ikemasen!" or "Dame!" [Image: tongue.gif] But, I have friends whose grandparents told them, "Yakamashii!" when they were loud, etc. Those are both fairly strict, though.

Possibly a good way to learn is to learn children's songs in Japanese. Like old nursery rhymes and whatnot...
So you are going to talk to your child in Japanese?

Anyway ...

dame = no
waruiko = bad boy/girl
ohirune = nap

hmmm what else??
<!--quoteo(post=183285:date=May 24 2007, 11:33 AM:name=hapacheese)-->QUOTE(hapacheese @ May 24 2007, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There's specific words in Japanese for baby-talk... i.e. "manma" for "food," "poppo" for "fish" etc. Not sure if there's specifically a book on that sort of thing, or if that's really what you're looking for, though.

However, my mom/grandparents just spoke to me in simple sentences and whatnot. They used a few child-oriented words (like "okushu" for "kusuri"), but for the most part, it was just "softer" Japanese. Kids seem to respond better to feminine Japanese, than the harder male tones/words.

When scolded, I was often told, "Kora! Ikemasen!" or "Dame!" [Image: tongue.gif] But, I have friends whose grandparents told them, "Yakamashii!" when they were loud, etc. Those are both fairly strict, though.
Possibly a good way to learn is to learn children's songs in Japanese. Like old nursery rhymes and whatnot...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

UUn, this is perfect! [Image: happy.gif] I didn't know some of those. Any one else?
Howabout Japanese nursery rhymes or songs...

There's one about a pigeon... hata-popo... ?
Howabout Japanese nursery rhymes or songs...

There's one about a pigeon... hata-popo... ?
Actually, yeah, I want to speak in Japanese to him as much as possible. His father doesn't know Japanese, so there is already limitations, so I like to do it 100% of the time we are alone and even part of the time when others are around. haha.

nursery rhymes or songs would also be great if anyone knows any [Image: smile.gif]
Japanese Nursery Rhymes

That site has a decent selection, although I just listened to some of the sample music, and it's pretty crappy quality [Image: smile.gif]
Nenne (neru),...
It may help if you show him Japanese videos. I used to watch "Okâsan to issho" and stuff when I was a child... [Image: ninja.gif]
I learnt colloquial Japanese from games and anime, me being an absolute nerd, ofcourse, but if you're looking for something related to children, might I suggest some of those old-time favourite animes? Doraemon, Sazae-san, Anpanman... Crayon-shin-chan.... lol Sure it won't be a concentrated course on colloquial Japanese, but hell actually seeing/hearing it being used should help in some way.

Depends how you learn Japanese though, I guess, my way was very very different (and not all that effective) compared to other people, hahaha
[center]Nobody knows who I am on this forum...!

Except that I'm in all the Tokyo meetup pics... hah

[/center]