Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with a "grammar pattern"
Hey guys.

Now, me have few brain cells left due to finals, so me make short. (Kittens are soft.)

I am really confused about the difference between the usage of ~のだったら vs. ~ら. According to my text, which has a tendency not to elaborate very much on confusing concepts, ~のだったら is use to describe "if it is the case that" and ~ら describes "if/when." It could be my melting brain cells, but I was wondering if someone could give me a few examples of their proper usage. My sensei lumped the two forms into one group, so attempting to differentiate between them has been difficult for my tiny brain.

Please, fellow nihongo-speakers, save my wee mind from more research! I need your non-fried minds! Brains, brains! [Image: drool.gif]
Oh crap. Good question.... Any fluent Japanese speakers in the house???
<!--quoteo(post=180372:date=May 7 2007, 09:06 PM:name=Jessica Emi)-->QUOTE(Jessica Emi @ May 7 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hey guys.

Now, me have few brain cells left due to finals, so me make short. (Kittens are soft.)

I am really confused about the difference between the usage of ~のだったら vs. ~ら. According to my text, which has a tendency not to elaborate very much on confusing concepts, ~のだったら is use to describe "if it is the case that" and ~ら describes "if/when." It could be my melting brain cells, but I was wondering if someone could give me a few examples of their proper usage. My sensei lumped the two forms into one group, so attempting to differentiate between them has been difficult for my tiny brain.

Please, fellow nihongo-speakers, save my wee mind from more research! I need your non-fried minds! Brains, brains! [Image: drool.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm not sure if you mean this:
彼女が来ないのだったら、私は帰る。(If she is not coming, I will go home.)
学校に行ったら、だれもいなかった。(When I went to school, nobody was there.)
^That's how I would use them too.
Sorry, my Japanese language prog is a bit fecked so roomaji but:
Kono enpitsu wa kare no dattara, watashi wa tsukaitakunai.(If (it is the case that) this pencil is his, I don't want to use it).
Tabetara onaka ga ippai ni naru. (If you eat, your stomach will become full.)
[url="http://sasasunakku.com"]Sasasunakku[/url]
<!--quoteo(post=180375:date=May 7 2007, 03:17 PM:name=miel)-->QUOTE(miel @ May 7 2007, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm not sure if you mean this:
彼女が来ないのだったら、私は帰る。(If she is not coming, I will go home.)
学校に行ったら、だれもいなかった。(When I went to school, nobody was there.)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes! I think that's it!

I think it may be my continuing problem with particles (Damn you, の!), but my professor had this phrase: "フリードマンさんが食べるのだったら、私も食べる。" immediately following this phrase: "ねむかったら、早く寝た方がいい。" and "明日雨だったら、ピクニックはない。" and it confused the hell out of me. (There wasn't even an explanation for this. I felt stupid. I was sad. [Image: cry.gif]) Anyway, so ~のだったら refers to a future/possible condition while ~ら refers to an event that has all ready occurred? (I guess that would explain the past tense needed before the ~ら, hehe. [Image: doofywave.gif] )

Thanks you guys! Me brain needed the relief!