Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
スキンシップ
I got into a little discussion with a Japanese coworker yesterday about the word スキンシップ. She was surprised to learn that there was no direct translation of the word in English, most likely due to the fact that touching is not that big of a deal in the West (well, I suppose it depends on who is doing the touching and who is being touched...)

What's the best definition you can think of in English for it? And do you think it's weird that it's a concept that's difficult to translate into English, without making it sound sexual?
I found this definition, but I don't know if it is satisfactory... [Image: eh.gif]
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE<!--quotec-->the relationship between mother and baby established by physical contact<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd--> (language.tiu.ac.jp)
i thought it was more "physical affection" in general--more often in regards to that between men and women. [Image: unsure.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=179007:date=Apr 26 2007, 08:15 PM:name=beebs)-->QUOTE(beebs @ Apr 26 2007, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i thought it was more "physical affection" in general--more often in regards to that between men and women. [Image: unsure.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yappari socchi kanaa... Watashimo yoku wakaranai... [Image: blink.gif]
But, skinship is also used in terms of building bonds with pets or even between same-sex friends. It can be loosely translated to physical affection, but I doubt most Japanese men would be happy with that definition when they talk about skinship between male friends... [Image: smile.gif]