Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Itadakimasu Translation Challenge
wai? [Image: eh.gif]
[color="#9ACD32"]Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

[/color]
Thai prayer hand thing.
[url="http://sasasunakku.com"]Sasasunakku[/url]
<!--quoteo(post=174344:date=Mar 28 2007, 08:35 PM:name=chiquita)-->QUOTE(chiquita @ Mar 28 2007, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I've never received a business card and held it above my head. But that's just me.
I do make it hover at face level, though. Never really thought about the proper height of business card receiving. Ah, a whole new topic.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, in Japan, you're suppose to treat the card as if it's the person themselves, to show respect. So when I get a card, while I don't hold it about my head (if I did that with a card, would mean that I did that to the person, and having to lift everyone I meet professionally over my head would really do my back in), what I do is give the card a seat of its own at the meeting table, and put a glass of water in front of it. That way people know I respect them.
Oh. This, eh:

[Image: wai.jpg]

There's a whole argument too, as to whether Japanese people should do this wai-like hand thingy (合掌:gasshou = hands together) while saying Itadakimasu...a lot of people do, and some schools (esp. Kindergartens) teach kids to do it, but nobody seems to be 100% sure why they do it, or whether it's necessary.

[/color]
<!--quoteo(post=174350:date=Mar 28 2007, 03:46 PM:name=Zashikibuta)-->QUOTE(Zashikibuta @ Mar 28 2007, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->what I do is give the card a seat of its own at the meeting table, and put a glass of water in front of it. That way people know I respect them.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Just a measly glass of water? [Image: wtf.gif]
I think doing a tea ceremony in its honor is more respectful, and proper.

[/color]
Don't be silly, can't be messing around with tea ceremonies when you have important meetings with agendas you have to cover in a limited time.

Water has no status. Therefore it is the safest thing to offer people. Nobody complains about water.
Speedy tea. Okay, it's not ceremonious, but it's the next best thing. Far better than water, at any rate.

[/color]
You're supposed to close the business deals during tea ceremonies, preferably with hostesses and companions [Image: smile.gif]
Japanese hockey, Asian sports and whatnot:

[url="http://jhockey.wordpress.com/"]http://jhockey.wordpress.com/[/url]
^
SEE?

We mustn't forget, of course, the obligatory Nyotaimori once the deal has been closed...in celebration.

[/color]
"otsukaresama" = "you're tired" ? [Image: blink.gif] i don't think Z would make a good translator. (although she would make a hilarious one.)

how about "dozo yoroshiku onegaishimasu!"
<!--quoteo(post=174485:date=Mar 29 2007, 06:39 AM:name=beebs)-->QUOTE(beebs @ Mar 29 2007, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->how about "dozo yoroshiku onegaishimasu!"<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's "Please, take it!"
Ok, so how do you say, 「あたしの青春、返して!」(Atashi no seishun kaeshite!) in English?
^
Ahahahaha. Why? Who d'you want to say it to?

"Give me back my youth/my teen years/my 20s/my virginity/my sanity"...whatever you consider your seishun to be, I suppose.

A friend and I at uni used to say "bon fatigué" (word for word, "good tired"...but we just made it up [Image: biggrin.gif] ) as our own little personal aisatsu for "otsukaresama".

[/color]
you can use いただきます in a sexual way, very polite.
<!--quoteo(post=174549:date=Mar 29 2007, 02:50 PM:name=chiquita)-->QUOTE(chiquita @ Mar 29 2007, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->^
Ahahahaha. Why? Who d'you want to say it to?

"Give me back my youth/my teen years/my 20s/my virginity/my sanity"...whatever you consider your seishun to be, I suppose.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the most accurate way to say it would be "Give me back my blue spring!"
<!--quoteo(post=174612:date=Mar 29 2007, 10:29 PM:name=namie wants me)-->QUOTE(namie wants me @ Mar 29 2007, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->you can use いただきます in a sexual way, very polite.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can also say 「わぁ〜!おいしそう!」and 「ああ、食った、食った』in a sexual way too.
                      (ああ、くった、くった)
haha.
That would be so sexy, ne..."ahhh, kutta kutta" after sex. Must try it some day.

[/color]
AHAHAHAHA!!!
I am going to say it to Falco this very afternoon.
[url="http://sasasunakku.com"]Sasasunakku[/url]
HOw about:

Marietta nantoka nantoka des... douzo yoroshiku onegaitashimasu?!!! [Image: tongue.gif] thats tricky too