Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funniest things you get asked about Japan
Sometimes I get asked really random things about Japan.. usually from people who think China and Japan are the same thing... [Image: laughlong.gif]

Here's the most asked question I have had...

'Does Japan really have vending machines on every street which sells girls' used pants?'

What random questions do you get asked?!

or alternatively, do you get asked weird questions about your home country when in Japan?
"If you're half Japanese, why are you so tall? I thought all Japanese were about 5'."

"Can you use chopsticks?"

"How can you eat that sh*t?!"

"What kinda camera do you have?"

"Why do all you Japanese wear glasses?"
[color="#0000FF"]Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak....or in some cases, post.[/color]
WHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

those are hilarious 73bonneville and steph!

Ive just come here to Japan... and I went onto MSN and my friend asked me..

"So how's China?"

WWAAAT THE HELL!!
...yet another quality post...
Quite innocent, but a Finnish girl asked me a few years ago, do all Japanese hold their teacup in the palm of their hand when drinking tea.
Sushi.... no thanks I don't eat fish.

I couldn't eat raw fish, it smells.....

How come you're so tall? Big? Good looking?...... well I get questioned about 2 of those..
GH, you forgot "How come you're so modest?"
[color="#0000FF"]Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak....or in some cases, post.[/color]
What? No one tells me I'm fat, well at least to my face.... [Image: rolleyes.gif]
I think the japanese enjoy telling people they are fat!
I used to get told it all the time when i was younger when i went there... didnt think I was THAT fat though! [Image: crazy.gif]

now its... oh you havent seemed to put on any weight sice you were young, you still look the same...
ah, that probably means im still fat! ha ha ha
"Do you know Ichiro?"

"Was one of your relatives a kamikaze?"

"How many samurai swords do you have?"

"Is that a Seiko?"

"Do you guys really have Chinese Fire Drills?"

"Why do you like British motorsickles?"

"What's a good brand of TV to buy?"

"Do you know kung fu?"

"Were you born in Hong Kong, or Tokyo?"

"Can you get cheap firecrackers from your relatives in Chinatown?"

"Can you give me a good recipe for Kim-chee?"
<!--quoteo(post=173530:date=Mar 24 2007, 07:59 AM:name=Steph)-->QUOTE(Steph @ Mar 24 2007, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think the japanese enjoy telling people they are fat!
I used to get told it all the time when i was younger when i went there... didnt think I was THAT fat though! [Image: crazy.gif]

now its... oh you havent seemed to put on any weight sice you were young, you still look the same...
ah, that probably means im still fat! ha ha ha<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See, and this, is why I have reservations about going to Japan. [Image: rolleyes.gif] [Image: dry.gif]
woah 73bonneville u get asked a heap!!

another one is...

"what martial art do u do?"

"so do u see samurai walking down the street?"

"do ninjas come out at night" (in primary and early high school)
...yet another quality post...
I got this one by an ignorant mixed black chick:

"Is it true that in Japan, there are laws against laughing while you're driving because then you guys can't see and can get into accidents?"

So, I told her.. "That's about as stupid as asking if there's a law in Africa that forces blacks to smile and keep their eyes open at night so people can see them in the dark." [Image: dry.gif] [Image: rolleyes.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=173543:date=Mar 24 2007, 05:21 AM:name=kristina)-->QUOTE(kristina @ Mar 24 2007, 05:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->See, and this, is why I have reservations about going to Japan. [Image: rolleyes.gif] [Image: dry.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kristina, please dont have reservations about going to Japan because of what ive said... [Image: unsure.gif]
The people that say that stuff are small minded people, and you just ignore it and keep your head up. And that's just a few instances that ive come across, not everyone is like that... Although ive found many japanese speak without thinking quite a lot, but you just gotta be above it and realise that they just dont know any better...
It's hard cos in Japan all the girls seem to be really tiny and i feel huge compared to them, but its different cultures/countries..
But when they come here for example, they are too small, they cant find clothes to fit them and people tell them all the time that they are tiny, which im sure they probably dont appreciate too much too!

Come to Japan with me and we'll go paint Tokyo and its pants vending machines red :-)
"Why don't you have slanty eyes?"

"Why isn't your hair straight and black?"

"Why aren't you yellow?"

"Are you Buddhist?"

"Can you show me how to make a bonsai tree?"

"How do you guys make those fortune cookies?"

"Which is a better city to visit, Shanghai or Hong Kong?"

and on, and on, ad infinitum....btw, Kuso Gaki, I've been around a bit longer than most on this forum... [Image: crazy.gif], either that, or I just happen to meet more than my share of ignorant f*cks.
<!--quoteo(post=173556:date=Mar 25 2007, 12:44 AM:name=kristina)-->QUOTE(kristina @ Mar 25 2007, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, I told her.. "That's about as stupid as asking if there's a law in Africa that forces blacks to smile and keep their eyes open at night so people can see them in the dark." [Image: dry.gif] [Image: rolleyes.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hehe, what was her reaction? [Image: blink.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=173557:date=Mar 24 2007, 08:45 AM:name=Steph)-->QUOTE(Steph @ Mar 24 2007, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Kristina, please dont have reservations about going to Japan because of what ive said... [Image: unsure.gif]
The people that say that stuff are small minded people, and you just ignore it and keep your head up. And that's just a few instances that ive come across, not everyone is like that... Although ive found many japanese speak without thinking quite a lot, but you just gotta be above it and realise that they just dont know any better...
It's hard cos in Japan all the girls seem to be really tiny and i feel huge compared to them, but its different cultures/countries..
But when they come here for example, they are too small, they cant find clothes to fit them and people tell them all the time that they are tiny, which im sure they probably dont appreciate too much too!

Come to Japan with me and we'll go paint Tokyo and its pants vending machines red :-)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, it's not just what you've said. I can remember someone telling me that someone told her, to her face, "We don't have clothes for fat people..." when she was just browsing around a store and she wears about a Size 12. 12!? Since when did 12 = fat?!? Ugh.

Anyways, I definitely want to go to Japan someday, but given how I feel right now.. I have to say that if I encountered anyone that said anything to me or whatever, I'd be devastated and I worry about what kind of feelings I'd come back to the US with. I'd probably become overly hateful towards Japan and Japanese people.

What I don't get is that for a country that prides itself on a culture that is so conservative and "respectful" and about manners and showing respect.. how can people be this way? If they think that, fine. I'm sure there are people that think that about me here in the US, but I'll be downright livid if someone in Japan actually says something to me.

Cause I'm not just 5' tall and big. I'm 5'11" and big and I can really just see it now. I don't know what would encourage me to want to spend my time and money to subject myself to that (at least at the moment).
<!--quoteo(post=173561:date=Mar 24 2007, 08:49 AM:name=caddie)-->QUOTE(caddie @ Mar 24 2007, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->hehe, what was her reaction? [Image: blink.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

She didn't say much after that. [Image: shutup.gif] [Image: biggrin.gif]
have you ever thought about going into law, kristina? a quick-witted tongue like that shouldn't go to waste! [Image: laugh.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=173562:date=Mar 24 2007, 05:51 AM:name=kristina)-->QUOTE(kristina @ Mar 24 2007, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, it's not just what you've said. I can remember someone telling me that someone told her, to her face, "We don't have clothes for fat people..." when she was just browsing around a store and she wears about a Size 12. 12!? Since when did 12 = fat?!? Ugh.

Anyways, I definitely want to go to Japan someday, but given how I feel right now.. I have to say that if I encountered anyone that said anything to me or whatever, I'd be devastated and I worry about what kind of feelings I'd come back to the US with. I'd probably become overly hateful towards Japan and Japanese people.

What I don't get is that for a country that prides itself on a culture that is so conservative and "respectful" and about manners and showing respect.. how can people be this way? If they think that, fine. I'm sure there are people that think that about me here in the US, but I'll be downright livid if someone in Japan actually says something to me.

Cause I'm not just 5' tall and big. I'm 5'11" and big and I can really just see it now. I don't know what would encourage me to want to spend my time and money to subject myself to that (at least at the moment).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah i understand how you feel... but dont let their attitudes get to you. For some reason, a lot of japanese say things without thinking if they are going to hurt someone, but if someone was to say it back to them, they would hurt... they just dont think that way. I guess until someone does say something back to them they wont know either...
It is strange how Japan does pride itself on being respectful/conservative, and i can certainly see why... but theres this whole other side which i guess comes out in the pressure of having to be so polite etc all the time!

When i went to japan with my friend (who is a size 8-10) we were looking at jeans and the owner told her she was probably too fat to fit into any of his jeans... we both stood there laughing...
<!--quoteo(post=173570:date=Mar 24 2007, 09:02 AM:name=Steph)-->QUOTE(Steph @ Mar 24 2007, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->yeah i understand how you feel... but dont let their attitudes get to you. For some reason, a lot of japanese say things without thinking if they are going to hurt someone, but if someone was to say it back to them, they would hurt... they just dont think that way. I guess until someone does say something back to them they wont know either...
It is strange how Japan does pride itself on being respectful/conservative, and i can certainly see why... but theres this whole other side which i guess comes out in the pressure of having to be so polite etc all the time!

When i went to japan with my friend (who is a size 8-10) we were looking at jeans and the owner told her she was probably too fat to fit into any of his jeans... we both stood there laughing...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And for me, with my insecurities, I couldn't just sit there and laugh. I'd probably start crying or something.

I would never go to Japan with the intention of going clothes shopping. That'd just be setting myself up for punishment, but the last thing I'd ever want is for the friggin' store owner to point something out like that to me. I mean, how does he know that I'm shopping for myself anyways? But, yeah.. I couldn't laugh about something like that and since I don't know Japanese, I couldn't even tell him off either. [Image: tongue.gif]