Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funniest things you get asked about Japan
<!--quoteo(post=173556:date=Mar 25 2007, 12:44 AM:name=kristina)-->QUOTE(kristina @ Mar 25 2007, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I got this one by an ignorant mixed black chick:

"Is it true that in Japan, there are laws against laughing while you're driving because then you guys can't see and can get into accidents?"

So, I told her.. "That's about as stupid as asking if there's a law in Africa that forces blacks to smile and keep their eyes open at night so people can see them in the dark." [Image: dry.gif] [Image: rolleyes.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Hahaaaaa! [Image: rofl.gif]
Classic! [Image: clap.gif]

I hope you told her that [Image: wink2.gif]
Make every moment count!
YEAh how did the mixed black girl react??! [Image: w00t.gif]

Kristina i know how u feel...
A japanese man (family friend) who used to live in the same state in Australia as us... saw me as a little kid (tiny) and then as a small boy (and i was chubby).. and I smiled and was really happy to see him.. he looked at me blankley and said.. "omae debu da... kenji u are fat" .. THAT made me feel so shit.. I still cant believe he said it with the English translation with a massive emphasis on FFFFAT (said with disgust)... such a kind way to greet someone... I just smiled and said "yes" cos he was "to be respected"....

I told my dad about it straight after.. and the bastard went and asked the Japanese man (embarrasing for me).. and then the Japanese man was trying to be all friendly saying "I dont think ur fat.. come here and give me a hug".. and he tried to engulf me in a hug.. but the damage has been done and i scrunched my fat little face up and ran off...

a number of years later, he was diagnosed with cancer and was getting treatment for it. and my family was going to visit him..u know just in case.. and he wanted to see me.. but like i said the damage had been done... this was like 8years or snmething after the event... i didnt go to see him... it was his karma... he didnt die by the way

Now I have done powerlifting i have put on some chub.. but it made me more secure doing that kind of stuff... so i get a lot of "dekai" but sometimes someoen might say myh face is round... or chotto debu.. but I can now just laugh it off.. but i know wat its like to feel paranoid and stuff especially around Japanese people...

I think Image is everything to Japanese people.

I guess wat im going to say is much like wat steph said.. the people who say mean things, dont know anything.. if u truley believe in that, then it becomes easy to laugh back at them..

WOO HOOO EARTHQUAKE.. MY FIRST ONE WHILE WRITING the word "AUSTRALIA"
...yet another quality post...
<!--quoteo(post=173543:date=Mar 24 2007, 11:21 AM:name=kristina)-->QUOTE(kristina @ Mar 24 2007, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->See, and this, is why I have reservations about going to Japan. [Image: rolleyes.gif] [Image: dry.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha
Don't worry ! It's usually just your family who say that .
You should go one day Kris. [Image: smile.gif]
I think the stupidest thing I was asked was whether I could understand Chinese. [Image: unsure.gif]
There are some similarities, but on the whole, they are very different sounding languages,
<!--quoteo(post=173556:date=Mar 25 2007, 12:44 AM:name=kristina)-->QUOTE(kristina @ Mar 25 2007, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I got this one by an ignorant mixed black chick:

"Is it true that in Japan, there are laws against laughing while you're driving because then you guys can't see and can get into accidents?"

So, I told her.. "That's about as stupid as asking if there's a law in Africa that forces blacks to smile and keep their eyes open at night so people can see them in the dark." [Image: dry.gif] [Image: rolleyes.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm trying desperately to come up with a clever joke about the blind Japanese driver hitting the invisible African pedestrian... and then the two falling in love, and having a mixed-race child.
I shall serve no fries before their time.
<!--quoteo(post=173635:date=Mar 25 2007, 10:12 AM:name=Marisuke)-->QUOTE(Marisuke @ Mar 25 2007, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think the stupidest thing I was asked was whether I could understand Chinese. [Image: unsure.gif]
There are some similarities, but on the whole, they are very different sounding languages,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually don't think it's all that ignorant (and certainly not "stupid") for people to ask Japanese people if they understand Chinese!

If you consider other parts of the world where there are several countries that share the same ethnic stock and cultural roots, why shouldn't you assume that the languages are somewhat similar? If anything, it's pretty bizarre that Japan, China, and Korea share the same written script (in part) for three completely different languanges!

Off the top of your head, can you tell me, how close / mutually intelligible are:

Thai, Vietnamese, and Cambodian?

Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, and Finnish?

Turkish, Hebrew, and Greek?

Hungarian, Czech, and Romanian?
<!--quoteo(post=173530:date=Mar 24 2007, 11:59 PM:name=Steph)-->QUOTE(Steph @ Mar 24 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think the japanese enjoy telling people they are fat!
I used to get told it all the time when i was younger when i went there... didnt think I was THAT fat though! [Image: crazy.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In what way did they say it, perhaps as a compliment? Because in East Asian cultures, traditionally being fat meant you had more than enough to eat, which was an enviable thing in a largely subsistence farming culture. When I was a little kid, I was pretty skinny and picky about food, and my Japanese obaachan would always want me to eat more and become fat. She said she wished I would ぶくぶく太る. Hearing that was a rather traumatic childhood experience for me. [Image: crazy.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=173741:date=Mar 26 2007, 03:28 AM:name=Riktov)-->QUOTE(Riktov @ Mar 26 2007, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In what way did they say it, perhaps as a compliment? Because in East Asian cultures, traditionally being fat meant you had more than enough to eat, which was an enviable thing in a largely subsistence farming culture. When I was a little kid, I was pretty skinny and picky about food, and my Japanese obaachan would always want me to eat more and become fat. She said she wished I would ぶくぶく太る. Hearing that was a rather traumatic childhood experience for me. [Image: crazy.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not in Japan, not least in my experience does anyone ever say you're fat as a compliment.
[center]Nobody knows who I am on this forum...!

Except that I'm in all the Tokyo meetup pics... hah

[/center]
This is one of the best threads ever!!!

so here are some questions from some veeery ignorant Greeks:

About Japan:
1. Do u eat cats , dogs and snakes?
2. do u live in little wooden houses on the rivers?
3. are there ninjas?
4. is everyone as tall as 1.50 centimeters tops?

About me being half Japanese:
1. your greek family must be the tall ones, right?!! - no.. its my Japanese family who are the talls ones actually
2. u eat and know how to amke sushi, right? - no. no idea.. my dad and chefs do that!
3. why u have curly hair? - err.. cause I am half...
4. why dont u look more Japanese:... err.. again... cause I am half
5. do u speak Japanese:... a bit
6. say SOMETHING in japanese!! ... - *mute*
7. do u do KARATE?!! (Combined with funny hands movement).... no I did ju-jitsu...
"(whats that?!!!)... never mind.. yes.. I did karate!
8. how did your parents meet?

oh God.. this list can be soooooo long!!!

The thing is... I dont mind being asked the stupidest questions... cause noone is obliged to know things about Japan... What bothers me though is that when I have explained something, and they just dont listen or something.. like,... I am half japanese ... oh really?!! Have u been to China?!!! --- no..... oh poor thing u have never visited your homeland? [Image: wtf.gif]
maeku... I completely relate to your points:

About Japan:
1. Do u eat cats , dogs and snakes?
3. are there ninjas?

About me being half Japanese:

ha ha ha!! [Image: laughlong.gif]

i used to hate getting asked to say SOMETHING in japanese.. and id say: tell me what to say and ill say it... then they'd usually come up with some swearing and the conversation would end in me saying, I dont know how to say that and walk off..
probably partly because of not wanting to speak japanese in front of english kids when i was younger....

Riktov, hmm i dont think it was such a compliment in Japan to be called fat, especially when i was like a size 12 or something... wakaranaikedo.. i just see it now as a difference in culture...
@Steph..

talking about difference in Culture:

IN GREECE:
My Greek grandmother would hold my arm and say "Mariettta! u dont eat enough!! eath this spaggheti, combined with Mousaka and lazagne and soup and french fries...., u r not healthy!!"

IN JAPAN:
(Not my granmother cause SHE thinks I am perfect [Image: tongue.gif]) but other relatives:
"Marietta-chan!!.. kawaiso.... u got Greek genes and u r fat! here.. we bought u some clothes from the men's department cause girl clothes in Japan will NEVER fit u " [Image: dry.gif] ..... this can seriously cause big complexes to kids u know!! Funny thing that I am probably thinner than all my cousins.... I just HAVE BIG HAIR PEOPLE!!! THATS WHY I LOOK FAT! [Image: mad.gif] but seriously.. my aunties would give me as presents, men clothes... trousers and polo shirts and shirts that were size L.... [Image: unsure.gif] I have never used them and actually my dad uses them....

I really felt fat when I was in Japan when I was younger... now I just dont mind
<!--quoteo(post=173772:date=Mar 26 2007, 12:27 PM:name=Steph)-->QUOTE(Steph @ Mar 26 2007, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->About me being half Japanese:

ha ha ha!! [Image: laughlong.gif]

i used to hate getting asked to say SOMETHING in japanese.. and id say: tell me what to say and ill say it... then they'd usually come up with some swearing and the conversation would end in me saying, I dont know how to say that and walk off..
probably partly because of not wanting to speak japanese in front of english kids when i was younger....<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I hated this question too...
I still get asked to say "something" in Japanese and I say "nantoka".
Ahahahaha.
[url="http://sasasunakku.com"]Sasasunakku[/url]
<!--quoteo(post=173737:date=Mar 25 2007, 10:43 PM:name=Riktov)-->QUOTE(Riktov @ Mar 25 2007, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I actually don't think it's all that ignorant (and certainly not "stupid") for people to ask Japanese people if they understand Chinese!

If you consider other parts of the world where there are several countries that share the same ethnic stock and cultural roots, why shouldn't you assume that the languages are somewhat similar? If anything, it's pretty bizarre that Japan, China, and Korea share the same written script (in part) for three completely different languanges!

Off the top of your head, can you tell me, how close / mutually intelligible are:

Thai, Vietnamese, and Cambodian?

Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, and Finnish?

Turkish, Hebrew, and Greek?

Hungarian, Czech, and Romanian?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I never thought of what you wrote.
I have actually only heard Hebrew being spoken so I'm not sure what the other languages sound like. And my brain is made out of lard so I never thought of the geography and similarites in the languages spoken.

Anywho, the person who asked me was pretty ignorant (she later asked if Canada was a colony of America) so I doubt she used your logic that you have presented when asking me. [Image: smile.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=173743:date=Mar 25 2007, 11:54 PM:name=Eddie)-->QUOTE(Eddie @ Mar 25 2007, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not in Japan, not least in my experience does anyone ever say you're fat as a compliment.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same here. [Image: unsure.gif]
It's more of an insult, no?
<!--quoteo(post=173773:date=Mar 26 2007, 06:37 AM:name=maeku 476)-->QUOTE(maeku 476 @ Mar 26 2007, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->IN JAPAN:
(<b>Not my granmother cause SHE thinks I am perfect :</b>P) but other relatives:
"Marietta-chan!!.. kawaiso.... u got Greek genes and u r fat! here.. we bought u some clothes from the men's department cause girl clothes in Japan will NEVER fit u " [Image: dry.gif] ..... this can seriously cause big complexes to kids u know!! Funny thing that I am probably thinner than all my cousins.... I just HAVE BIG HAIR PEOPLE!!! THATS WHY I LOOK FAT! [Image: mad.gif] but seriously.. my aunties would give me as presents, men clothes... trousers and polo shirts and shirts that were size L.... [Image: unsure.gif] I have never used them and actually my dad uses them....

I really felt fat when I was in Japan when I was younger... now I just dont mind<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

awww that made me think of my late grandma. [Image: cry.gif]
she always told me that no matter what she would always be my mikata.
whenever my mum would say nasty things she defended me.

ok.. sorry... totally off topic.
<!--quoteo(post=173737:date=Mar 25 2007, 06:43 PM:name=Riktov)-->QUOTE(Riktov @ Mar 25 2007, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I actually don't think it's all that ignorant (and certainly not "stupid") for people to ask Japanese people if they understand Chinese!

Turkish, Hebrew, and Greek?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i think they are idiots and ignorant and need to be punched in the face for saying to the japanese do you speak chinese, what kind of shit is that? they should know just by common sense that japanese people speak japanese and chinese people speak chinese(manderan and cantonese).

and i never heard of the greek language but im sure it does not sound anything like hebrew and turkish does not sound like hebrew.

maybe polish is the closest to hebrew, but not really.
^ agreed.. [Image: dry.gif]
[color="#FF8C00"]..,:;"{/'-*~human rights~*-'\}";:,..[/color]

[color="#000080"]I am a citizen of the world[/color]

[color="#008080"]We can not plead against inhuman tyrannies if we don't know what it is to be human. - Robin Fox, anthropologist

[/color]

[color="#00FF00"][url="http://www.racefortibet.org"]Race For Tibet[/url][/color]

YOU ARE SAYING IMPUDENCE TO ME! THAT IS IMPUDENCE!
<!--quoteo(post=173930:date=Mar 27 2007, 11:04 AM:name=namie wants me)-->QUOTE(namie wants me @ Mar 27 2007, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i think they are idiots and ignorant and need to be punched in the face for saying to the japanese do you speak chinese, what kind of shit is that? they should know just by common sense that japanese people speak japanese and chinese people speak chinese(manderan and cantonese).

and i never heard of the greek language but im sure it does not sound anything like hebrew and turkish does not sound like hebrew.

maybe polish is the closest to hebrew, but not really.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here's two punches in the face for you, one from me and one from maeku476. Anyone who's never heard of the Greek language (yet even claims to know what it doesn't sound like!) is an ignorant idiot lacking common sense. [Image: tongue.gif]
im sure there alot of other people who havent heard greek being spoken other than me.