Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funniest things you get asked about Japan
@Riktov

The thing is that what bothers me is this:

When I say I am Japanese... From Japan, speaking Japanese and then the other person say oh.. in China do u blah blah.. As I said, the problem is NOT that they dont know.. they have every right NOT to know... BUT!!!! When u tell someone u r Japanese, getting a quesTIon the next minute including a different country name even if its a neighboring one, IS STUPIDDDDD!! [Image: mad.gif]

And just for the record:
Greek indEed DONT sound like Hebrew or Turkish AT ALL!! The only thing in common is a few Turkish words we use for certain dishes... [Image: rolleyes.gif]

I mean... if someone told me he was Nigerian, I wouldnt ask him back if he can speak Ethiopian... u know what I am trying to say? ... the least I could do (cause to be honest I am not good with African geography) is to ask questions to find out more about Nigerian.....
@NWM... [Image: hugs.gif] I can tape my voice and send it over....

the things is.. u r right.... one just because he hasnt ever heard a certain language can not automatically assume its similar do a few other languages...

Ahhh...rrr.....g..h... I wish this Boards' main language was Greek... that would be easy for me [Image: tongue.gif]
I have to admit that sometimes, if someone tells me they're Norwegian or Danish, for some reason I get them mixed up. [Image: blush21.gif]

Although I feel that I know a few things about most countries, sometimes you are stumped when you meet someone who is from a country that you've never even thought about. In order to make small talk you talk about stuff that is close enough but then you end up offending them.
Make every moment count!
NOT ME!! I NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG!! I AM A WOMAN!! [Image: dry.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=173951:date=Mar 26 2007, 10:29 PM:name=maeku 476)-->QUOTE(maeku 476 @ Mar 26 2007, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->@NWM... [Image: hugs.gif] I can tape my voice and send it over....

the things is.. u r right.... one just because he hasnt ever heard a certain language can not automatically assume its similar do a few other languages...

Ahhh...rrr.....g..h... I wish this Boards' main language was Greek... that would be easy for me [Image: tongue.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes send it over, that would be cool hahaha, im curious what greek sounds like now.
oh.. its something between Hebrew and Turkish!! [Image: laughlong.gif] [Image: laughlong.gif]

oh sorry guys I am doing this... I am just so happy I say stupid things today.. gomen, ne?

when Nez comes to Greece I will ask him to help me record my voice in Greek and post it...
<!--quoteo(post=173956:date=Mar 27 2007, 03:38 PM:name=maeku 476)-->QUOTE(maeku 476 @ Mar 27 2007, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->NOT ME!! I NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG!! I AM A WOMAN!! [Image: dry.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
hahaha [Image: w00t.gif]

That's good.

Do all women put their clocks 3 hours ahead? [Image: wink2.gif]
Make every moment count!
Damn.. I should have seen this coming... [Image: dry.gif]
how about this?
No
Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoloy card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game UNO.

Jesus's Birthday isn't December 25 but Chuck Norris once sent him a birthday card for that day, Jesus was too scared to tell Chuck the truth. Thats why we celebrate Christmas.
[Image: dry.gif]
The most recent question I've been asked to my memory -- does your mother wear white make-up?
@a_yuki.. hahaha yeah... a lot of peopel ask me that as well.. everyone seems to think that GEISHA is ALL Japanese women....

I mean if they see someone dressed in a kimono they automatically think :ah.. here is a geisha!" ... that is why we had the kimono show.. to explain to Greek people the differences and all...
When I used to work as a PA in a company here, we once had this Korean client. Well, this Korean lady told the consultant she wanted green tea. A very unusual request in Italy. Luckily someone had received some as a gift, so we happened to have some. The consultant who was meeting with her came to me and said 'since you're Japanese you must know all about green tea, so please make some for the client". Unfortunately I'm not in the habit of drinking green tea, so I don't actually know if you're supposed to make it differently from Lipton's teabags. I told the consultant that and she just looked at me and said, 'well, you Japanese know all about this stuff so you do it." So I put the leaves into the pot and filled it with hot water and brought the whole set to the client, hoping that was the right way to do it. A few minutes later the consultant comes to my desk with the tea pot and tells me that the client said it was undrinkable and looks at me like it's my fault. I hate it when people assume that just because you're Japanese (forget the half part, that doesn't even register) you're supposed to know how to do all things Japanese.
wakaroo [Image: yes2.gif]
Make every moment count!
<!--quoteo(post=185900:date=Jun 14 2007, 06:09 AM:name=Global Nomad)-->QUOTE(Global Nomad @ Jun 14 2007, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hate it when people assume that just because you're Japanese (forget the half part, that doesn't even register) you're supposed to know how to do all things Japanese.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. I don't even like green tea ... unless it's green tea ice cream. I also hate it when people assume I eat sushi every night for dinner or marvel when I use chopsticks ... although I was eating ravioli so I guess I can understand the strange looks.
I can totally relate. For instance I find it much easier to eat salad with chopsticks. Once I brought a salad to work for lunch, and all my coworkers were totally amazed when they saw me pull out my waribashi. They actually stopped eating to watch me and said "you don't mind if we watch, do you?" I mean, how the hell am I supposed to reply to being asked whether I mind being stared at like some animal at the zoo??? Needless to say, it made me feel incredibly uncomfortable!
Oh, I get that too. It put me off eating lunch for a couple of years but then I realised how stupid that is, and just made myself eat anyway. I find that if you stare back at them they get bored or uncomfortable and stop staring.

Then again, I don't blink so maybe that's what makes them uncomfortable?
<!--quoteo(post=185966:date=Jun 14 2007, 12:30 PM:name=Hester)-->QUOTE(Hester @ Jun 14 2007, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Oh, I get that too. It put me off eating lunch for a couple of years but then I realised how stupid that is, and just made myself eat anyway. I find that if you stare back at them they get bored or uncomfortable and stop staring.

Then again, I don't blink so maybe that's what makes them uncomfortable?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just sat here and tried not to blink for as long as possible. It's hard [Image: tongue.gif]
Don't hurt your eyes, okay?
I don't blink naturally (well, I blink like, once every few minutes) so I guess my eyes are used to it.

Great way to win staring contests!