Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funniest things you get asked about Japan
i get that too maeku about china..
someone said to me last weekend, so did you have fun on your holiday to chin or whereeer you went?
I said no, i went to japan... later on they said: oh i like your camera, did you get that in china? [Image: mad.gif]

someone also said to me a few days ago: so whats the difference between a geisha and a prostitute... i explained what i know...
then later they said, Oh... ive seen photos of you dressed up as a geisha on your blog thing... why did you do that?
(I was dressed in my mums Kimono)

but i just sit and laugh in my head... its just ignorance...

Global Nomad - I cant believe peopleactually asked if they could watch you eat!!!!! aww guess they were just fascinated by your awesomeness! he he
I went to Japan on vacation way back in September 1989, Kyu gatsu Hesei ga nen. When I got back to California my coworkers asked my what the Great Wall looked like.

Not a stupid question, but an ignorant one.

<!--quoteo(post=173950:date=Mar 26 2007, 08:26 PM:name=maeku 476)-->QUOTE(maeku 476 @ Mar 26 2007, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->@Riktov

The thing is that what bothers me is this:

When I say I am Japanese... From Japan, speaking Japanese and then the other person say oh.. in China do u blah blah.. As I said, the problem is NOT that they dont know.. they have every right NOT to know... BUT!!!! When u tell someone u r Japanese, getting a quesTIon the next minute including a different country name even if its a neighboring one, IS STUPIDDDDD!! [Image: mad.gif]

And just for the record:
Greek indEed DONT sound like Hebrew or Turkish AT ALL!! The only thing in common is a few Turkish words we use for certain dishes... [Image: rolleyes.gif]

I mean... if someone told me he was Nigerian, I wouldnt ask him back if he can speak Ethiopian... u know what I am trying to say? ... the least I could do (cause to be honest I am not good with African geography) is to ask questions to find out more about Nigerian.....<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Matthew Ota
I went to Japan on vacation way back in September 1989, Kyu gatsu Hesei ga nen. When I got back to California my coworkers asked my what the Great Wall looked like.

Not a stupid question, but an ignorant one.

<!--quoteo(post=173950:date=Mar 26 2007, 08:26 PM:name=maeku 476)-->QUOTE(maeku 476 @ Mar 26 2007, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->@Riktov

The thing is that what bothers me is this:

When I say I am Japanese... From Japan, speaking Japanese and then the other person say oh.. in China do u blah blah.. As I said, the problem is NOT that they dont know.. they have every right NOT to know... BUT!!!! When u tell someone u r Japanese, getting a quesTIon the next minute including a different country name even if its a neighboring one, IS STUPIDDDDD!! [Image: mad.gif]

And just for the record:
Greek indEed DONT sound like Hebrew or Turkish AT ALL!! The only thing in common is a few Turkish words we use for certain dishes... [Image: rolleyes.gif]

I mean... if someone told me he was Nigerian, I wouldnt ask him back if he can speak Ethiopian... u know what I am trying to say? ... the least I could do (cause to be honest I am not good with African geography) is to ask questions to find out more about Nigerian.....<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Matthew Ota
<!--quoteo(post=186112:date=Jun 15 2007, 11:32 PM:name=Matthew Ota)-->QUOTE(Matthew Ota @ Jun 15 2007, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I went to Japan on vacation way back in September 1989, Kyu gatsu Hesei ga nen. When I got back to California my coworkers asked my what the Great Wall looked like.

Not a stupid question, but an ignorant one.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

actually, Matthew, that is a really stupid question. You have permission to slap your coworker with a natto roll.

The best one so far was when I was a state university in New York:

"Do they have T.V.'s in Japan?"
"Wait... they have Japanese movies?! Who would watch those?! Who acts in those anyway?!"
On the first day of my college course I had a funny exchange with the girl sitting next to me (who, funnily, I haven't spoken to since [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hmm.gif[/img] )

"Hi, I'm Daniel blablabla, I've been living in Tokyo for the past 4 years or so."
"Wow, cool. Have you seen Rush Hour 4?"
"Why? Is it set in Tokyo?" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
"No, but it's got Jackie Chan in it innit" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/doofywave.gif[/img]

man [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]
Make every moment count!
Innit, indeed.
What is scariest is that this girl will soon be a teacher, responsible for ejukating ver Bri'ish yoof... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crazy.gif[/img]
Make every moment count!
Scary enough is the idea of such a person procreating and spreading her genes, but even scarier is such a person 'influencing' a vast number of young minds!
"do you really eat dogs?"

most asked question.... next time i'll say "yes, of course. they taste a little bit like chicken. especially chihuahuas are very delicious!"
<!--quoteo(post=194201:date=Oct 12 2007, 09:19 PM:name=Nez)-->QUOTE(Nez @ Oct 12 2007, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Innit, indeed.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

tangent:
This reminded me of a EF! woman at my old church who goes by Innit.
she used to call me firefly .... \
[color="#dddd00"][center][size="1"][/size] [/center][center][size="1"]"for Zen's belief in Sudden illumination, a fleeting glimpse of existence just as it really is."[/size][/center][/color]
I once had someone ask me "is it true that you eat ants in Japan?" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
"Do you have a Geisha dress?"
"Can I see you as a Geisha?"
"Why don't you know everything about Japan?"
"Do you know how to make sushi?"
"Oh! You're Asian (Japanese)! Are you good at math?"
"Do you have a Japanese name?"
"Can you like switch into engrish?"
"Does everyone wear a kimono?"
"Oh! Do you know of this anime then?"

I cant think of anymore that i've been asked in the past but I'll probably remember later.
[Image: thShinChangif.gif]

Quote:Capitalization is everything, for example: "Helping your Uncle Jack off a horse." And "helping your uncle jack off a horse."
<!--quoteo(post=213160:date=Dec 5 2008, 06:11 AM:name=Ghetto.Samurai)-->QUOTE(Ghetto.Samurai @ Dec 5 2008, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->"Do you have a Geisha dress?"
"Can I see you as a Geisha?"
"Why don't you know everything about Japan?"
"Do you know how to make sushi?"
"Oh! You're Asian (Japanese)! Are you good at math?"
"Do you have a Japanese name?"
"Can you like switch into engrish?"
"Does everyone wear a kimono?"
"Oh! Do you know of this anime then?"

I cant think of anymore that i've been asked in the past but I'll probably remember later.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
God... us halvsie s to be getting the same questions no matter WHERE on Earth we are located....

What pisses me off a lot is that when I say I am (half)/(Partly) etc Japanese, they instantly assume I am 100% Japanese and also that I MUST be speaking,eating, acting, knowing everything about Japan... and when I TRY to explain that learning Japanese is a process and it dosnt just come right with u when u are born and that learning about Japanese history and culture again is a matter of how much u care, you read and study and ask your Japanese parent/family.... and that it is NOT in your genes, as a born-with-knowledge...

"Oh, you're half-Japanese? Do you speak Chines-I mean Japanese?"

"Wait, are there seasons in Japan? Like do they know what seasons are?"

My friend was trying to give my Mom directions, and was describing one specific intersection which she was not familiar with (location wise).... "Wait, does she not know what an intersection is? Like do they have them in Japan?"

"WHAT'S MY JAPANESE NAME!?"

"Wait, if you don't like fish, what do you EAT when you're in Japan?"

"Why are your eyes sort of round though?"

Needless to say, the people where I live are not so cultured. Just a bunch of rich white kids.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Some kid in grade 7: "Do you eat snake?"

Me: "Yes.... I have some for luch today, would you like to try some?" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

[Image: snake%20burger.jpg]

Don't you just love snake burgers everyone?
^ Kuro-goma manjuu burger?
Is snake with cheese kosher?
@Nez: ...sure i guess it could be kurogoma manjuu [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

@doorknobdeity: have no idea.... i think not though [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
ahahaha this thread is hilarious...actually its sad..but u know...