Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tasuketeeee! kanji ga hetakuso..
right now i am attempting to memorise basic kanji.. sho-gako, chu-gako, ko-ko..

i had my first japanese

class at uni yesterday, and felt like an absolute idiot because i could read hardly ANY of the kanji..i

seriously suck at it. but i figured that id be better off doing stream B japanese, because beginner level would

be..well u know. [Image: blink.gif]

but this means that im

gonna have to study extra hard at reading and writing..
[Image: unsure.gif]

does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to make it a bit

easier..? any type of methods, or structure or something...anything?
[center]captured in this light

beauty will survive[/center]
kanji

doriru dana...

Kanji is always so daunting to learn, because there are so many.

I think you should

set yourself small goals, not think about the totality, and satisfy yourself that you are achieving the goals

that you set yourself.

Easy to say... [Image: hmm.gif]
Make every moment count!
i only

studied the first 300. then I became lazy. that's the reason why I can only write sentences consisting of

医者、病気 and 行く...

there are actually good books to study

kanji. I bought a kanji-goi-book last month. I think it's good. I haven't read it yet, though, but...
魂の獄に封じられしモノたちが解き放たれた!
<!--QuoteBegin-danielyuki+Jul 25 2005, 05:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (danielyuki @ Jul 25 2005, 05:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> kanji doriru dana...

Kanji is always so daunting to learn, because there

are so many.

I think you should set yourself small goals, not think about the totality, and satisfy

yourself that you are achieving the goals that you set yourself.

Easy to say... [Image: hmm.gif] [/quote]

haha yea it sure is easy to say!

it is quite daunting, especially when its already expected that we

know the basics..which i dont..and at the same time, don don motto kanji wo narawa nakucha..

[Image: unsure.gif]

but thanks for the advice

anyway..kanji doriru wo shitemiyoto! [Image: happy.gif]

[Image: blink.gif]

I

think since you already know how to speak, it's best if you read read read after you learned how to write

the first 50. Cause then you'll have gotten used to the stroke order and radicals and it will be very easy

to remember the others. Just look up every word you can't read and you'll know them kanji really fast

and learn to love them.

I used this book when I was studying for the Nihongo Nouryoku Shiken

<a

href='http://www.3anet.co.jp/nihongo/text_no_12kyuu_goi.html'

target='_blank'>http://www.3anet.co.jp/nihongo/text_no_12kyuu_goi.html</a>

It's quite

"fun", cause it comes with a CD and you can take dictations and stuff.
魂の獄に封じられしモノたちが解き放たれた!
...so many kanji...just looking at the site scares me [Image: unsure.gif]
have to face my demons tho huh.

thanks for your tip tho..i guess

after i get the basics mastered and just read every chance i get, it might make it much easier.

[Image: happy.gif]

hehe actually that reminds me..when i

was little i used to try and read (hiragana and katakana ONLY) those huuuge billboards, and whatever else neon

lighted signs they have in Japan..it actually did help. i can read haragana and katakana!

[Image: w00t.gif]

man im a dork.. [Image: sweat.gif]

<!--QuoteBegin-aya_papaya87+Jul 26 2005, 01:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (aya_papaya87 @ Jul 26 2005, 01:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ...so many kanji...just looking at the site scares me [Image: unsure.gif]
have to face my demons tho huh. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div

class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's what I'm saying. Don't look at the

totality.
Concentrate on your own short term goals. USE the kanji that you learn, read books, write letters

to your relatives.

Perhaps I should be saying that to myself [Image: hmm.gif]
Make every moment count!
<!--QuoteBegin-danielyuki+Jul 25 2005, 08:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (danielyuki @ Jul 25 2005, 08:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-aya_papaya87+Jul 26 2005, 01:50 PM--></div><table border='0'

align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (aya_papaya87 @ Jul

26 2005, 01:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ...so many kanji...just looking at the site

scares me  [Image: unsure.gif]
have to face my demons tho

huh. [/quote]
That's what I'm

saying. Don't look at the totality.
Concentrate on your own short term goals. USE the kanji that you

learn, read books, write letters to your relatives.

Perhaps I should be saying that to myself

[Image: hmm.gif] <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div

aha yeahh..guess theres always room for improvement for everyone.

[Image: wink2.gif]

i asked my mum if she had any kanji

doriru (she's a japanese teacher)..

she got out the unused ninen-sei booklet that i never ended up

doing.

[Image: tongue.gif]

better late than never!

Aya,

Rule no. 1: Don't panic!

DY is right on the Kanji Doriru point. It's the best

way forward. However, go slowly. You CANNOT master the whole lot in one go. Small amounts of kanji

practised/learned regularly will stand you in good stead. If you do not understand the meaning of an example

word that uses the kanji in question: look it up in the dictionary. If you understand what it means then it will

stick. Have a go at making up sample sentences using the kanji: if you know how to use a kanji it will stick.

But I will repeat myself: DO NOT PANIC.

Best of luck,

Hanako ( currently revising 3rd and

4th grade Kanji)
I know your problems, I started a while ago, I'm somewhere at 500 now. (and need another

500 'cause I want to take the 2-kyu this year [Image: crazy.gif] )
One thing I can tell you from my experience is that after the first 100,

200 it gets a lot easier because then you can practice new Kanji in combination to other Kanji you already know.

The first 150 are really tough, but after that you can make it.
[Image: nerd.gif] [Image: nerd.gif] [Image: nerd.gif]
"Once you figure out what a joke everything is, being the Comedian's the only thing that makes sense."
People will often come up with magical ways to learn kanji but the best, most effective way is just to do it the

way Japanese kids learn it, and that is by rote memorisation.

Learn a character, write it over and over,

use it in a sentence, use it in another sentence, read a passage that has it in multiple times...that kind of

thing.

There are all sorts of colourful ways of learning kanji like trying to associate radicals with

images (could help with the meaning but not really for the pronunciation) but I think all that just ends up

confusing you more.

Do it old-school style.

Also, I highly recommend getting an electronic

dictionary so that when you are reading you can look up kanji quickly. Absolutely invaluable.
[Image: 567684843_0c6866679f_m.jpg]
<!--QuoteBegin-yongfook+Jul 27 2005, 11:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (yongfook @ Jul 27 2005, 11:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Also, I highly recommend getting an electronic dictionary so that when you are

reading you can look up kanji quickly. Absolutely invaluable. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div

Where is that thread that recommends which ones are good for this

use.

Is there a dictionary that is good for looking up kanji that you can't read? [Image: eh.gif]
Make every moment count!
I

should send my scary mum in a package to Oz. Then you'll be memorizing kanji in no time~

[Image: laugh.gif]
If

you're reading stuff on the Internet, Jim Breen is very useful as you can copy and paste kanji into the

dictionary. This means that you can look up stuff even if you can't read it. [Image: smile.gif]
<!--QuoteBegin-Nez+Jul 27 2005, 02:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Nez @ Jul 27 2005, 02:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If you're reading stuff on the Internet, Jim Breen is very useful as you can

copy and paste kanji into the dictionary. This means that you can look up stuff even if you can't read it.

[Image: smile.gif] <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div

class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
ne, I use it all the time [Image: thumbup.gif]

How do they fund it? [Image: eh.gif]
Make every moment count!
also

useful is:

<a href="http://www.rikai.com/perl/Home.pl" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.rikai.com/perl/Home.pl" target="_blank">http://www.rikai.com/perl/Home.pl</a></a>

You can browse any Japanese website and get

readings for the kanji you don't understand. A very clever web application.
[Image: 567684843_0c6866679f_m.jpg]
<!--QuoteBegin-yongfook+Jul 27 2005, 03:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (yongfook @ Jul 27 2005, 03:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> also useful is:

<a href="http://www.rikai.com/perl/Home.pl" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.rikai.com/perl/Home.pl" target="_blank">http://www.rikai.com/perl/Home.pl</a></a>

readings for the kanji you don't understand. A very clever web application. <!--QuoteEnd-->

</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
woah, I've never heard of this site.

I'll check it out sometime.
Make every moment count!
<!--QuoteBegin-Marisuke+Jul 27 2005, 04:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Marisuke @ Jul 27 2005, 04:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I should send my scary mum in a package to Oz. Then you'll be memorizing

kanji in no time~ [Image: laugh.gif] <!--QuoteEnd-->

</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
We can add my primary school teacher ( and

equally scary) mother and Aya can have Kanji terror in stereo!

( Mari-chan: you and I are both

scarred, bruised children...)
<!--QuoteBegin-danielyuki+Jul 27 2005, 07:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (danielyuki @ Jul 27 2005, 07:36

AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-yongfook+Jul 27 2005, 03:23

PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3'

cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (yongfook @ Jul 27 2005, 03:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> also useful is:

readings for the kanji you don't understand.  A very clever web application.

[/quote]
woah, I've never heard of this

site. I'll check it out sometime. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div

This is bloody amazing!

EDIT:I have just managed to zip

through several articles on yomiuri.co.jp at superfast speed. Someone deserves a thank-you pint.
<!--QuoteBegin-Hanako+Jul 26 2005, 11:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Hanako @ Jul 26 2005, 11:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Marisuke+Jul 27 2005, 04:20 AM--></div><table border='0'

align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Marisuke @ Jul 27

2005, 04:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I should send my scary mum in a package to Oz.

Then you'll be memorizing kanji in no time~  [Image: laugh.gif] <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div

We can add my primary school teacher ( and equally scary) mother and Aya

can have Kanji terror in stereo!

( Mari-chan: you and I are both scarred, bruised children...)

[/quote]
thanks for the offer hanako and

marisuke..but my mother is scary enough..TRUST ME.

[Image: blink.gif]

thanks to everyone for the help too..i shall check out the

sites..2morro.
i really have had enough of practicing kanji 2day! [Image: ph34r.gif]