Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how often do you study Japanese?
I

really have to start studying kanji again.

I haven't translated anything properly since completing my

translation course [Image: dry.gif]
Make every moment count!
Whoa this

topic got wiped out too. I wonder what the pattern was for topics that got completely wiped out. It's not

like this topic was just started right before the Great Data Loss of 2004-05 ???
Japanese hockey, Asian sports and whatnot:

[url="http://jhockey.wordpress.com/"]http://jhockey.wordpress.com/[/url]
Maybe it

wasn't as accidental as we think. The admins could've just gone through the threads looking for the

naked topics and deleted everything else. [Image: hmmm.gif]
"Drink wine, and you will sleep well. Sleep, and you will not sin. Avoid sin, and you will be saved. Ergo, drink wine and be saved." -- Medieval German saying
<!--QuoteBegin-tanpopo+Feb 23 2005, 06:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (tanpopo @ Feb 23 2005, 06:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Maybe it wasn't as accidental as we think.  The admins could've

just gone through the threads looking for the naked topics and deleted everything else. 

[Image: hmmm.gif] <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div

class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[Image: perv.gif] [Image: unsure.gif] [Image: ph34r.gif]
Make every moment count!
[Image: laugh.gif] haha
A lot of

stuff got wiped out when Saren upgraded I think - i remember my post count went down lol. I should study a bit

of Japanese every day, but I start off well and then after I fall asleep trying to work out some Kanji I end up

waking up and forgetting everything I spent all day learning - give up and when I forget about my failure try

again. One of these days I will (!) keep at it, need to do a Japanese test at some point anyway at the end

of the year.
I want

to study Japanese....and I was taking lessons from my friend Kurt...but I have since lagged on it. I've been

using/studying that book I think Bobby D. knows the title to it (Japanese For Busy People By Kodansha

International, Ltd.)...good book at least I think so for learning/communicating in Japanese. [Image: smile.gif]
never [Image: blush21.gif]

if i had a japanese boyfriend or

girlfriend i am sure i would tho..... i am not good with books. i bet traveling extensively or living in japan

would do me just fine as i'd have no choice but to pick up at least more japanese than i am learning now.

ie: what does yoroshiku mean??
hokubeinews.com/en/columns/Tomi-Talk
<!--QuoteBegin-HapaYonsei+Feb 25 2005, 05:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (HapaYonsei @ Feb 25 2005, 05:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ie: what does yoroshiku mean?? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div

class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
yoroshiku = regards [Image: smile.gif]
There

are so many Kanji's
Trying to Live Life For What its Worth
I need to

live in Japan for a while again to pick up "prope" Japanese....
It's really difficult to speak

"keigo" at work/university etc etc. [Image: sad.gif]
pineapple and peanut butter rock!
<!--QuoteBegin-yumi+Mar 15 2005, 04:57 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (yumi @ Mar 15 2005, 04:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I need to live in Japan for a while again to pick up "prope"

Japanese....
It's really difficult to speak "keigo" at work/university etc etc.

[Image: sad.gif] <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div

class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
yumi what's "probe" Japanese..i'm not familiar with

that term? [Image: blink.gif]
<!--QuoteBegin-SWC+Mar 16 2005, 12:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SWC @ Mar 16 2005, 12:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-yumi+Mar 15 2005, 04:57 AM--></div><table border='0'

align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (yumi @ Mar 15

2005, 04:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I need to live in Japan for a while again to

pick up "prope" Japanese....
It's really difficult to speak "keigo" at

work/university etc etc.  [Image: sad.gif]

[/quote]
yumi what's "probe"

Japanese..i'm not familiar with that term? [Image: blink.gif] <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

<!--QuoteEEnd-->
proper Japanese... like polite Japanese that you can use for senpais or people you

don't know well
<!--QuoteBegin-Marisuke+Mar 15 2005, 09:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Marisuke @ Mar 15 2005, 09:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-SWC+Mar 16 2005, 12:37 AM--></div><table border='0'

align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SWC @ Mar 16 2005,

12:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-yumi+Mar 15 2005, 04:57

AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3'

cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (yumi @ Mar 15 2005, 04:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I need to live in Japan for a while again to pick up "prope"

Japanese....

[Image: sad.gif] <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div

that term? [Image: blink.gif] <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div

proper Japanese... like polite Japanese that you can use for senpais or

people you don't know well [/quote]

Oh thank you for the explanation Marisuke! [Image: smile.gif]
<!--QuoteBegin-Marisuke+Mar 16 2005, 05:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Marisuke @ Mar 16 2005, 05:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-SWC+Mar 16 2005, 12:37 AM--></div><table border='0'

align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SWC @ Mar 16 2005,

12:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-yumi+Mar 15 2005, 04:57

AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3'

cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (yumi @ Mar 15 2005, 04:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

Japanese....

[Image: sad.gif] <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div

that term? [Image: blink.gif] <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div

proper Japanese... like polite Japanese that you can use for senpais or

people you don't know well [/quote]

aaaaaah, sorry SWC typing error.... "prope" was supposed to be "proper".
Yeah, as

Marisuke says, proper japanese as in "polite japanese" that you use to bosses, people you don't

know, or senior co-workers/students. A bit like the "vous" use in the French language.

[Image: wink2.gif]
pineapple and peanut butter rock!
but

way more stupid and difficult.

even for the new generations of Japanese, it would seem...
<a

href='http://www.guardian.co.uk/japan/story/0,7369,1407365,00.html'

target='_blank'>http://www.guardian.co.uk/japan/story/0,...65,00.html</a>
[Image: 567684843_0c6866679f_m.jpg]
What

really gets me is the amount of kanji required to learn news paper and the New kanji added on to about 20,000 or

however more..........goodness ......we have it so easy with english.
At least

the people that know it
<a

href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4236377.stm' target='_blank'>keigo is

fading</a>

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3'

cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Japanese people need

help to brush up on their polite language, a government panel has proposed.

A report for the Agency for

Cultural Affairs said 'keigo' - honorific Japanese - was being widely misused.

Keigo is a

complicated form of the language which involves different conjugations of regular nouns and verbs, or different

words entirely.

It is used to address seniors - a customer, for example - and is meant to humble speakers

and elevate listeners.

The government panel has proposed publishing manuals explaining to people how the

language should be used.

"Not just young people, but grown-ups are not using honorific Japanese

properly. With the language guidelines, we hope to spread the correct use of the Japanese language,"

education ministry official Osamu Kubota was quoted as saying by the French news agency AFP.

The

government panel cited a 2003 survey on the Japanese language which found that 96% of people believe keigo

remains important, but the researchers noted that it was nevertheless being used incorrectly.

It tends to

take far longer to say something formally in Japan.

For example, the verb "to be" is iru in

informal Japanese, imasu in polite Japanese, and irasshaimasu in honorific Japanese.

The government

report also suggested that the country's ability to read and write Chinese characters - the mainstay of the

Japanese language - be re-evaluated.

A survey in November found that 20% of students at private

universities had poorer language abilities than high school pupils.

Adults sometimes find it difficult to

remember how to write characters because they rely on computers, and have to ask their children for

help.
[/quote]
Make every moment count!
<!--QuoteBegin-danielyuki+Mar 31 2005, 09:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (danielyuki @ Mar 31 2005, 09:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> keigo is fading

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center'

width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Japanese people need help to brush up on their polite language, a government

panel has proposed.

A report for the Agency for Cultural Affairs said 'keigo' - honorific

Japanese - was being widely misused.

Keigo is a complicated form of the language which involves different

conjugations of regular nouns and verbs, or different words entirely.

It is used to address seniors - a

customer, for example - and is meant to humble speakers and elevate listeners.

The government panel has

proposed publishing manuals explaining to people how the language should be used.

"Not just young

people, but grown-ups are not using honorific Japanese properly. With the language guidelines, we hope to spread

the correct use of the Japanese language," education ministry official Osamu Kubota was quoted as saying by

the French news agency AFP.

The government panel cited a 2003 survey on the Japanese language which found

that 96% of people believe keigo remains important, but the researchers noted that it was nevertheless being

used incorrectly.

It tends to take far longer to say something formally in Japan.

For example, the

verb "to be" is iru in informal Japanese, imasu in polite Japanese, and irasshaimasu in honorific

Japanese.

The government report also suggested that the country's ability to read and write Chinese

characters - the mainstay of the Japanese language - be re-evaluated.

A survey in November found that 20%

of students at private universities had poorer language abilities than high school pupils.

Adults

sometimes find it difficult to remember how to write characters because they rely on computers, and have to ask

their children for help.
[/quote]

[/quote]
i HATE keigo....

i

study japanese everyday i guess... not extensively... jus kanji practice -.- damn kanji... but it'll be

worth it when i'm ahead of everyone in uni