Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how often do you study Japanese?
I'm wondering if taking advanced Japanese language cources at Uni is a good idea or not. I dunno what

to expect. I'm pretty fluent when I talk but I'm not on a business level or anything! I cant discuss

Japanese literature for shit!!! D
I'm only here for this moment

Jeff Buckley - Everybody here wants you lyrics
<!--QuoteBegin-ucantbmyaddiction+Jul 10 2005, 08:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center'

width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ucantbmyaddiction @ Jul 10 2005, 08:09

PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'm wondering if taking advanced Japanese language

cources at Uni is a good idea or not. I dunno what to expect. I'm pretty fluent when I talk but I'm not

on a business level or anything! I cant discuss Japanese literature for shit!!! D

[/quote]
Don't feel so bad, ucbma, I

feel lucky that I can order at a sushi bar. [Image: sad.gif]
[color="#0000FF"]Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak....or in some cases, post.[/color]
<!--QuoteBegin-ucantbmyaddiction+Jul 11 2005, 02:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center'

width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ucantbmyaddiction @ Jul 11 2005, 02:09

PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'm wondering if taking advanced Japanese language

cources at Uni is a good idea or not. I dunno what to expect. I'm pretty fluent when I talk but I'm not

on a business level or anything! I cant discuss Japanese literature for shit!!! D

[/quote]
If you have an interest and

want to improve your Japanese, take the course.

My sister is studying advanced Japanese in an Australian

university and it's improving her Japanese. She's frequently top of her class but my mother helped her

out with some of the essays. You know how good my Japanese is and she's just as good (or bad depending on

what you think about my Japanese [Image: hmm.gif] ).
I love

analysing literature and discussing it. Therefore it breaks my heart when I cannot express what I think of

literature in Japanese. It's like being gagged and wanted to shout out something. [Image: down.gif]
魂の獄に封じられしモノたちが解き放たれた!
On my list

of things to do this vacation is revise kanji. Have I started? Have I hell.
At

least you only need to <b>revise</b>. In my case, I need to <b>memorize</b>.
<!--QuoteBegin-Kamui Ice+Mar 16 2005, 02:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Kamui Ice @ Mar 16 2005, 02:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What really gets me is the amount of kanji required to learn news paper and the

New kanji added on to about 20,000 or however more..........goodness ......we have it so easy with english.

[/quote]
TOTALLY!! I try to keep

up with my kangi but it's so easy to forget them! Even after you've practiced writing it ten or

twenty times! [Image: sad.gif] I hope to be able to read the newspaper

someday... <sigh>
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain
<!--QuoteBegin-saki-girl+Jul 11 2005, 07:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (saki-girl @ Jul 11 2005, 07:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> At least you only need to <b>revise</b>. In my case, I need to <b>memorize</b>.

[/quote]
ditto
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain
It's

harder when you don't live in Japan.
I graduated Japanese school in 2003 and in spite of the short length

of time (2 years), I have forgotten a lot.
Speaking and reading Japanese is still easy for me, but sometimes

when I have to write a kanji on papaer I have to think about it.
When

you take a placement class for a world language, in college, is there an oral exam? My conversational Japanese

is MUCH better than my writing skills... (kangi... so frustrating) so if it was just a regular paper I would

probably be in second-year Japanese or something...
In my

uni there was a written, oral and listening exam. My school sucks. In this instance they considered me Japanese

so I'm not allowed to take Japanese language courses.
<!--QuoteBegin-Marisuke+Jul 11 2005, 07:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Marisuke @ Jul 11 2005, 07:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> In my uni there was a written, oral and listening exam. My school sucks. In this

instance they considered me Japanese so I'm not allowed to take Japanese language courses. <!--QuoteEnd-->

</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I heard there was a possibility of that

happening to me too...

but I asked some uni (not the one I'm attending) and they said its

alright?

I would DIE if I dont get to study Japanese.

A

definite mark booster.

Anyways, if they talk to you, just pretend you don't speak any Japanese and

just scribble anything when they ask you to write hiragana. My sister did that and is currently taking 100 level

Japanese.
<!--QuoteBegin-Marisuke+Jul 11 2005, 10:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Marisuke @ Jul 11 2005, 10:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> A definite mark booster.

Anyways, if they talk to you, just pretend you

don't speak any Japanese and just scribble anything when they ask you to write hiragana. My sister did that

and is currently taking 100 level Japanese. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

<!--QuoteEEnd-->
ehhhhhhhhhhhh

I cant do that! I'm such a goody-goody and I'm bad at

lying! Smart though

100 level Japanese tte naani?

Mari chan nihongo jouzu dakara urayamashii

yo [Image: sad.gif]

Yeah totally!
I don't think I could keep up with that lie for a whole year. Nor could I stand the

class. 100 is <b><i>basic</i></b> Japanese. My sister said that her class first started with hiragana,

katakana and then 50 kanji so it was extremely easy.

Watasi no nihongo ha futuu dayo.
There is

definite room for improvement.
Question though: why did she do it?

Just so she can take some kind of Japanese classes? kinda cute tho

[Image: laugh.gif]

The only reason I plan to take

Japanese is so I'd improve. I need to brush up my Japanese to the max

She took

it to raise her GPA for med school.
My sister went to 補習校 until 中3 so she

is pretty advanced.

It's a shame that my uni doesn't offer advanced Japanese classes (ie)

literature, translation. [Image: sad.gif]
I

got my 中一textbook a few months ago and it's really hard. I can read more kangi than I can

write, so it's okay, but boy do I have to drill hard for those

漢字クイズ! [Image: dry.gif]
Writing

your last 漢字クイズin 高3 is very liberating.
<!--QuoteBegin-saki-girl+Jul 12 2005, 04:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (saki-girl @ Jul 12 2005, 04:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I remember once I had to write a creative essay, proving my knowledge of KANJI.

I ended up using the same ones over and over again ('hana', 'inu', 'kawa'). It was

probably the worst essay the teacher ever read. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

<!--QuoteEEnd-->
Proving your knowledge?
Was this with school?