Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japanese Proficiency exams
Anyone ever take 日本語能力試験? I'm taking 2級 this year. Anyone ever take 1級? I heard that it is really hard. >.<
Elmo loves everyone.
I took the 2kyu 2005 but failed by 1 percent. since then I constantly miss the deadline to sign up, I hope I can try again next year. A little tip: After the first part and the listening part, do the last part with the short grammar questions first, you gain get a lot of points there quickly, then do the comprehension and reading part with long texts at the end. That part can be tricky and cost you a lot of time like in my case. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink2.gif[/img]
"Once you figure out what a joke everything is, being the Comedian's the only thing that makes sense."
Ahh good idea. For some reason I tried the listening part for 1kyuu in my Japanese class and got a perfect score, yet I'm having problems with grammar and reading comprehension for 2kyu. I guess it's because I don't read enough and some of the grammar is only used in writing. I'm much stronger at speaking.
Elmo loves everyone.
I passed 1kyu in 2007. The first part was hard since my written (kanji) ability is not that good. The listening and reading/grammar was much easier. I think I only scored 50% on the written, but above 90% on the rest. Some of my friends passed 2kyu before they passed 1kyu and said that the biggest difference is in the kanji part. According to them, the listening was almost the same, and there are only 20-30 grammar points that you have to know on top of the ones you need for 2kyu. Although, as mybestfriend_elmo said, the 20-30 grammar points are rare ones and only used in written language.

I can recommend these two places to practice for the test:
http://jlpt.renshuu.org/
http://www.readthekanji.com/

Anyone ever taken JETRO's ビジネス日本語能力テスト?
Wow. Those are some pretty good sites Dan Alexander. I heard that they are gonna have the Japanese proficiency exams twice a year starting next year. I'm wondering if I should take 1kyu during the summer but I don't know if I'll make it.

Never heard of that JETRO thing.
Elmo loves everyone.
I SCORED A PERFECT ON MY 2KYUU PROFICIENCY TEST.
damn that's a huge setback. if <i>even you</i> passed it and I failed...[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] just kidding, I'm gonna try it too one day
"Once you figure out what a joke everything is, being the Comedian's the only thing that makes sense."
DUH. I went to Japanese school for 4 years every Saturday when i was younger, so i have a huge advantage over anyone who self-studies japanese rather than going to school to learn. Plus i have people to speak Japanese with on a daily basis in person since i was born.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE<!--quotec-->I'm gonna try it too one day<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And then fail again on that one day. JUST KIDDING.

what is your level of education anyway?
I took 4kyu '04 and then 3kyu in '05... but I quit nihongo class in '06, I don't know... maybe I could pass 2kyu if I really, really studied [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hmm.gif[/img]
i'm gonna try 2kyu next year, could have taken 3kyu this year but i thought why spend money on 3 kyu if i wanna take 2kyu next year anyway...
They are going to have the Japanese proficiency exam two times a year starting from next year. I don't know how I did on 2 kyuu, but I'm gonna challenge myself with 1kyuu this summer.
Elmo loves everyone.
i passed 2kyu last year (hurrah!) studying for it was a bitch. the listening portion is super easy but you really do need to study the grammar and kanji.
<!--quoteo(post=213442:date=Dec 16 2008, 09:38 PM:name=mybestfriend_elmo)-->QUOTE(mybestfriend_elmo @ Dec 16 2008, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They are going to have the Japanese proficiency exam two times a year starting from next year. I don't know how I did on 2 kyuu, but I'm gonna challenge myself with 1kyuu this summer.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oooh right, i've heard of that. in summer... guess that's too early for me... and i shouldn't tell my parents haha cause the reason why i can stay in japan is cause i wanna go to language school and take the jlpt in DECEMBER haha
I did 2-Q in December. I'm quite confident that I passed, but even so, I think I will do it again in June. I was aiming for 95%, but I screwed up on time (no watch) and ended up randomly marking the last 15 questions on the reading/grammar section.
Oh yay Whitey!!! 2 Kyu buddies

I hope I passed 2Kyu. I'm already studying for 1 Kyu.
Elmo loves everyone.
Wow, you're motivated! I stopped studying the morning of the test! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

My plan is to start again once the results arrive. I figured that two months off would be nice after studying for the four months previous.
Hello!

Was wondering how did you guys study for the JLPT? Did you go to classes or bought books and studied on your own? I think I'd prefer to take classes - can anyone recommend a place I could go to in London?

Thank youuu!

Mas
I bought books and studied on my own. But my situation is a little different than yours will be - I speak Japanese at work and at home, so for me it wasn't so much 'learning' as 'clarifying'.
I just got the results in the mail. I passed! I told myself for years that I was going to do level 2, and finally got around to it, so it's nice to have it done. Gotta work on level one now.
Congrats on lvl 2, Whitey! I also passed, and I'm so happy about it.

1 kyuu gambaroune!
Elmo loves everyone.