Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japanese Proficiency exams
がんばろう!

And congrats to you too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
wow.. I am impressed by all of u!!!

I spent years proscrastinating and never giving tests.. not that I ever actually studied Japanese.... besides I always just used oral Japanese not written.. but now I feel like actually facing the language properly and start up....

I am going to try of both 4-kyu and 3-kyu in December and then study reeeeealy hard for 2-kyu which will probbaly take me more than 2 years... but anyway...
(I think I can make it to 3-kyu but since I wont know, I ll take both tests so that I will at least have 4-kyu in my hands if I fail 3-kyu...etcetc....)

I was informed that because 3-ku iand 2-kyu have a great gap they will make thw test 5 instead of the current 4 so there will be sth in between 3-kyu and 2-kyu...

and also, if they wil add another test period within the year that would be awesome...

anywya.. I am getting carried away here...
Ya, I also heard the are going to add another level in between 3Q and 2Q. That's a good thing, because it really is a huge jump. I heard they are also going to insert a level between 2Q and 1Q, which is also a very big jump!

Good luck Maeku! Feel free to ask any Japanese questions in here so that I can tell you that I don't know the answer [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
Is anyone else apathetic about the Japanese proficiency test?
Depends on what you mean - I think it does what it does quite well. But it's not a complete test of Japanese skill by any means. It completely misses out on speaking and writing. But it does effectively test grammar, kanji, vocabulary and listening skills, and someone tests reading skills.

I've met people who were able to pass level 2, but could not speak nearly as well as I could years ago however. But I on the other hand couldn't have read much of anything. So they had a skillset I didn't, and I had a skillset they didn't. The test only tests one of those skillsets though.
<!--quoteo(post=215085:date=Feb 19 2009, 10:17 AM:name=Whitey)-->QUOTE(Whitey @ Feb 19 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Ya, I also heard the are going to add another level in between 3Q and 2Q. That's a good thing, because it really is a huge jump. I heard they are also going to insert a level between 2Q and 1Q, which is also a very big jump!

Good luck Maeku! Feel free to ask any Japanese questions in here so that I can tell you that I don't know the answer [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah the gap was huge indeed!!!

Thank you whitey!! I will write down any questions !! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
@Nez.. I used to be apathetic in the sense that I didnt care about having any degree in Japanese (Actually I was just bored to read Kanji and grammar) but it turns out that unless I learn kanji AND grammar I will not be able to speak 100% proper Japanese.. everything I know is by heart..and the tests will make me read... I just cant read without a target... I mean I can not study without a target....
Maeku - Can you take both the 4q and 3q? aren't they all on the same day? I think you should go for 3q.. If you just study some kanji I'm pretty sure you would pass it. The grammar and vocabulary you already know will probably go a long way.

I think that from this year you can take the 2q and 1q twice a year, once in december as usual, and also in the summer, in june or july..
That's right. They added a 2Q and a 1Q in July starting this year.
Real men take the kanji-kentei... I haven't yet [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Japanese hockey, Asian sports and whatnot:

[url="http://jhockey.wordpress.com/"]http://jhockey.wordpress.com/[/url]
I've thought about it - but I don't want to be the white 33 year old in the room full of Japanese elementary students, all taking the 7Q [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=215094:date=Feb 19 2009, 03:52 PM:name=Tadashi)-->QUOTE(Tadashi @ Feb 19 2009, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maeku - Can you take both the 4q and 3q? aren't they all on the same day? I think you should go for 3q.. If you just study some kanji I'm pretty sure you would pass it. The grammar and vocabulary you already know will probably go a long way.

I think that from this year you can take the 2q and 1q twice a year, once in december as usual, and also in the summer, in june or july..<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah 4q and 3q are on the same day, morning and early afternoon so I ll take both tests! lets see ne?!! but the real challenge will be the 2q in a few years.. I will have to study hard....arghh... but the good thing is that I have a friend who is exactly the same leve as I am and we are having occasinal group lessons with my mother as the teacher.. I can not have a lesson with my mother on my own.... but when I have a fellow student I can actually "See" her as a teacher...

the only "bad" thing is that my mother actually treats me worst than anyone else.. like I am supposed to learn faster than anyone else , etc etc [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]
I think you'd be able to pass 3kyu easily, Maeku. Trust me, I barely studied to 3kyuu and passed, and I've only started studying Japanese a year before I did that test. Have you ever checked out the 2kyu problems?

Although it does help to be totally immersed in Japanese culture.
Elmo loves everyone.
<!--quoteo(post=215087:date=Feb 19 2009, 09:04 PM:name=Nez)-->QUOTE(Nez @ Feb 19 2009, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Is anyone else apathetic about the Japanese proficiency test?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hiya.gif[/img] Yup, me here...

It's never really crossed my mind to take it - I didn't even know it existed till a couple of years ago [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blush21.gif[/img]

<!--quoteo(post=215110:date=Feb 20 2009, 08:54 AM:name=number9)-->QUOTE(number9 @ Feb 20 2009, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Real men take the kanji-kentei... I haven't yet [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laughlong.gif[/img]
[color="#9ACD32"]Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

[/color]
おめでとうございます、二級の試験に合格して。 僕は、日本語能力試験の三級を通ろうとして頑張っています
€‚ 僕は、まだ二級の試験を取る自身がないんだけど、何時か取れたらよいと思います。 僕より貴方のほうがã
œã‚“ぜん日本語の言語力が上だから、漢字や、文法や、様々な難しい言語表現が可笑しかったら、遠慮なく直しã
下さいませ。 僕は、日本語を使う機会があんまりないので、このフォラムにやってきました。 そして、ハー
ƒ•ã®äººé”は、僕みたいな丸々血統的に白人の人の気持ちも分かるし、日本人の人の気持ちや文化も分かっていてã
æ—¥æœ¬ã¨è¥¿æ´‹ã®æ–‡åŒ–交流を一番上手に出来ると思います。
<!--quoteo(post=212774:date=Nov 18 2008, 12:27 PM:name=Dan Alexander)-->QUOTE(Dan Alexander @ Nov 18 2008, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I passed 1kyu in 2007. The first part was hard since my written (kanji) ability is not that good. The listening and reading/grammar was much easier. I think I only scored 50% on the written, but above 90% on the rest. Some of my friends passed 2kyu before they passed 1kyu and said that the biggest difference is in the kanji part. According to them, the listening was almost the same, and there are only 20-30 grammar points that you have to know on top of the ones you need for 2kyu. Although, as mybestfriend_elmo said, the 20-30 grammar points are rare ones and only used in written language.

I can recommend these two places to practice for the test:
http://jlpt.renshuu.org/
http://www.readthekanji.com/

Anyone ever taken JETRO's ビジネス日本語能力テスト?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now that is something of great interest to me. I am sure there are lots of economic terminology there for me to better articulate myself in Japanese. I am also pleased that I have finally found people here who are much better than me in Japanese. This will give me an opportunity to improve my Japanese language. I think with many of you reaching 2kyu or 1kyu isn't that hard since many of you are half Japanese. The subtle nuances of the language and idomatic expressions are something that is going to take me a lifetime to even grasp a portion of the language.

このフォーラムで、バンクーバーに住んでいる人たちはいませんか。
<!--quoteo(post=215110:date=Feb 19 2009, 04:54 PM:name=number9)-->QUOTE(number9 @ Feb 19 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Real men take the kanji-kentei... I haven't yet [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, kanji kentei is not for real men, but for normal native speaking Japanese people. It is my understanding that JLPT exams are for me but not the kanji kentei as I am fully white. (Although I am trying to make my brain into a haafu by studying Japanese [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laughlong.gif[/img] ) But let me ask you this. Since you guys are halvsies, are you able to take both exams since you guys are half Japanese and half non Japanese?
Taking exams have nothing to do with being half-Japanese. Anyone can take the Japanese proficiency exams if your mother tongue is not Japanese.

As for Kanji kentei, you don't have to be Japanese to take it. I'm sure that you can take whatever level you can handle regardless of race.

In my opinion, haafu is an ethnic thing and has nothing to do with race. I've met plenty of haafu who've spent their whole lives in Japan and can't speak any other language except Japanese. Same the other way around, too.
Elmo loves everyone.
<!--quoteo(post=212866:date=Nov 24 2008, 06:17 AM:name=gh3tt0nikkei)-->QUOTE(gh3tt0nikkei @ Nov 24 2008, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I SCORED A PERFECT ON MY 2KYUU PROFICIENCY TEST.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh wow, then maybe you could help me with the カナダドルを米ドル$0.50にペグする提案 thread! I haven't taken JLPT yet, and I am thinking of taking LV3 soon. I am wondering also, am I able to start from LV3, or am do I have to begin from LV5 and work my way up? You might want to take LV1.
You can start at whatever level you want. I did level 2 without having ever done any of the other levels.

And the kanji kentei is for whoever wants to do it. I know a white guy who did level 4, and I've considered taking one of the lower levels myself (I'm white), although I don't want to be the adult gaijin in a room full of elementary school kids taking level 7 or 8 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=217059:date=May 10 2009, 06:21 AM:name=Whitey)-->QUOTE(Whitey @ May 10 2009, 06:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You can start at whatever level you want. I did level 2 without having ever done any of the other levels.

And the kanji kentei is for whoever wants to do it. I know a white guy who did level 4, and I've considered taking one of the lower levels myself (I'm white), although I don't want to be the adult gaijin in a room full of elementary school kids taking level 7 or 8 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, how many years did you study Japanese before getting to level 2? I know you need JLPT Level 1 to be considered employable in Japan in many Japanese companies. I am going to be in my third year for my Japanese major as of this September.