Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who do you think is the most famous halvsie??
I know "halvsie" by definition here is only people who are half Japanese, but since there arent too many famous half-asian people to begin with, I think it would be better to ask the more broad question, "<b>who do you think is the most famous hapa</b>??" And to make things clear, im talking about people that the average Joe <i>knows </i> is half Asian.

I think the most famous halvsie under the narrow definition is Sean Lennon, who everyone knows is the product of John Lennon and Yoko Ono.
But, I would have to say the most famous <i>hapa </i> is either half-Chinese Tommy Chong from the Cheech and Chong movies or half-Korean Hines Ward, the future hall-of-famer Pittsburgh Steelers receiver.

The one person that I think beats all these people in fame is Keanu Reeves, but nobody knows hes half asian! So, he doesnt count. I sometimes wonder how he could be sooo pale being a hapa, he looks almost sickly.

I wish more Asians would try to get famous. Hapas have to get their priorities straight. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eh.gif[/img]
Hines Ward would be unknown outside of the US, Canada, and Korea.

Sean Lennon is a good choice in terms of global recognition.

Devon Aoki? I just like her [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/perv.gif[/img]
Japanese hockey, Asian sports and whatnot:

[url="http://jhockey.wordpress.com/"]http://jhockey.wordpress.com/[/url]
I don't really know.. But I guess it depends on what the criterias are. Out of the people you mentioned I think Sean Lennon is probably the person most people around the world would know about and know he is a hapa, but he's not really famous for anything other than being his father's son.

I don't think Tommy Chong is that well known outside of the U.S., and definetily not to younger people. And I have to admit I don't really know who Hines Ward is. I think Football and Baseballl is only a big deal in the US, Japan, Korea, the Carribbean and parts of Central America.

I guess Keanu Reeves is the most famous one, but I don't think people know that much about his heritage.
Paul Kariya is the most famous halvsie hockey player (limited scope).

<!--quoteo(post=211832:date=Oct 10 2008, 11:44 PM:name=Tadashi)-->QUOTE(Tadashi @ Oct 10 2008, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't really know.. But I guess it depends on what the criterias are. Out the people you mentioned I think Sean Lennon is probably the person most people around the world would know about and know he is a hapa, but he's not really famous for anything other than being his father's son.

I don't think Tommy Chong is that well known outside of the U.S., and definetily not to younger people. And I have to admit I don't really know who Hines Ward is. I think Baseballl is only a big deal in the US, Japan, Korea, the Carribbean and parts of Central America.

I guess Keanu Reeves is the most famous one, but I don't think people know that much about his heritage.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats odd. I would think that Sean Lennon would be least known to the younger people around the world because as you said, hes not really famous for anything. So, someone who knows who Sean Lennon and his halvsieness, would either have to be alive during the '60s and '70s when the Beatles dominated the airwaves or be a young Beatlemaniac. Tommy Chong is old, but he was big in the '70s and '80s and still does roles in TV shows and movies, like the role of Leo in That '70s Show. Besides that, Chong if anything will always be immortal to all the deadbeat stoners out there, lol.

I agree, Hines Ward is probably only famous in the US, and his native S. Korea-but thats pretty good. I dont think there are any hapas out there that are famous internationally. Hines Ward only makes the list because he is on a good football team that won the Superbowl, and commentators always use his half-Koreaness as an interesting talking point. It helps that football is a almost a religion to many Americans.

Besides Keanu Reeves, the invisible hapa, there are no internationally recognized hapas! This is a crisis. Keanu Reeves should feel obligated as the only one to start a "Hapa Awareness Campaign" and start off by giving Halvsie.com $10 million dollars!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/w00t.gif[/img]
I vote for Sean Lennon and as for him not being famous for anything, I think he falls into the same category as Paris Hilton and Prince William.
In the USA it would be television journalist Anne Curry on the Today show. Sean Lennon is famous only because of his parents. Big Deal...
Matthew Ota
aaah this thread proves the gap in culture hapbits between USA and EU or even Greece.... sooo different..

In Greece (cause I need to be specific), if u asked a Greek person who he/she thinks is the most popular halvsie he/she d say Keanu Reeves... but he is not half Japanese..

anyway..

I think that the first haafu name that comes to my mind is Sean Lennon even though he is "JUST" the son of John Lennon... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

I have absolutely no idea who Chong or Ward is.. sowwy... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/down.gif[/img]
Anne Curry would be another US only candidate.

<!--quoteo(post=211835:date=Oct 10 2008, 08:56 PM:name=number9)-->QUOTE(number9 @ Oct 10 2008, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Paul Kariya is the most famous halvsie hockey player (limited scope).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, I knew of Paul Kariya, since I lived in Orange County CA for four years....
There was also a hapa horse jockey, I forget his name now...
Matthew Ota
in the up in coming future, Jessica Cambensy imo. shes very popular in hong kong and i see her building her profile in japan than she'll be worldwide.

[Image: jessicas362.jpg]
http://that-imta-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11...-hong-kong.html
In the U.S., the most widely-known-as-a-hapa hapa would probably be NBC's <b>Ann Curry</b>. <b>Mike Shinoda</b> of Linkin Park, and <b>Kimora Lee Simmons</b> (Baby Phat) would be right up there as well, I guess.

Worldwide, I guess <b>Crystal Kay</b> (K-pop/r&b princess) would have to rate highly...musicians tend to be more well-known than athletes of niche sports.
recently i heard, that hime is half american. her song "ukina" was on the soundtrack for the "fast an the furiouse" pc game.
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=OUcQUBnzpjk

[size="7"]sameMixed [/size]

[size="7"]Originalmischung[/size] [size="4"]seit 1998[/size]

ein Wert auf den man sich verlassen kann

[size="7"]Original Blend[/size]
Whatever happened to Apolo Ohno? His fame, though fleeting, was worldwide during and after the 02 & 06 Winter Olympics: Ohno was the first American to be the overall World Cup champion during the 2000-01 season and qualified for the U.S. team in the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics..

but I'm with Ann Curry about longevity in the fame category..
[color="#0000FF"]Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak....or in some cases, post.[/color]
Sean Lennon definately.
It's not that he is famous because of his parents. WHoa!
<b>Sean Lennon exists.</b>
He's definately famous for being in the world as a Child of Peace Loving parents.

I agree with Nez to a point. The world was watching when Sean Lennon was born.
Unlike the fame of a more mature Paris Hilton. Probably closer to Prince William.
[color="#dddd00"][center][size="1"][/size] [/center][center][size="1"]"for Zen's belief in Sudden illumination, a fleeting glimpse of existence just as it really is."[/size][/center][/color]
I know I'm bumping this majorly...
But how about famous halvsies in Japan, like Eiji Wentz or Bekki?
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
<!--quoteo(post=218939:date=Jul 5 2009, 06:50 PM:name=ninjew)-->QUOTE(ninjew @ Jul 5 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I know I'm bumping this majorly...
But how about famous halvsies in Japan, like Eiji Wentz or Bekki?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ah, crap, just realized there's another thread for this. But there was too many pages to read and I didn't want to repeat something someone else had said...
I can't stand Wentz. He looks freaky! His face is so white (as in color, not race) and his lips are so ridiculously red. He looks like clown.

Someone needs to let Sean Lennon know that the hippy era died long before he was born, and to get a shave before he trips on his beard.

Bekki is cute, but I personally think Kaela Kimura, and Rosa Kato are the best looking. They are in a lot more TV commercials as well. I also think Crystal Kay and Thelma Aoyama are pretty cool, (for their music, not looks).

Devon Aoki has that Lindsey Lohan thing going, or maybe its Lindsey Lohan having a Devon Aoki thing going...either way, she's just not doing it for me. Something about her is a bit off, but I can't pinpoint what it is.

Emiri Nakayama who's like 1/8th or 1/16th European, is alright looking. I actually got to meet her once on a shooting of a TV program we were in. She is so tiny, I was afraid to even breath on her for the fear that she might fly off.
I'm not a real actor, but I play one on TV.
<!--quoteo(post=218942:date=Jul 5 2009, 10:15 PM:name=MiraiZ)-->QUOTE(MiraiZ @ Jul 5 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I can't stand Wentz. He looks freaky! His face is so white and his lips are so ridiculously red.
Someone needs to let Sean Lennon know that the hippy era died long before he was born, and to get a shave before he trips on his beard.

Bekki is cute, but I personally think Kaela Kimura, and Rosa Kato are the best looking. They are in a lot more TV commercials as well. I also think Crystal Kay and Thelma Aoyama are pretty cool, (for their music, not looks).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? I think Wentz is so cute! Bekki on the other hand is a little annoying to me...
Bekki is annoying but that is her TV personality. Emiri Nakayama acts like a fool on TV too, but she is really down to earth and intelligent off-camera.
I'm not a real actor, but I play one on TV.