Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hafu Exhibition in London
<b>Half Japanese Ehxihibition finally becoming true in London!</b>
<i>Featuring five British Japanese, a Morrocan Japanese, Swedish Japanese, Italian-American Japanese, and a German Japanese Hafu</i>

Hi! I wanted to let you all know that I teamed up with an artist who is also a Halvsie (Half Japanese Half German) to do an exhibition in Brick Lane, London in October for two weeks! My role is to help curate the exhibition but to primarily conduct the interviews and help run the events programme. It has been a great journey! I wanted to share with you guys that this is happening for real now and would like any feedback/comment! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Marcia

Information on the exhibition

Dates: 23 October 2008 - 6 November 2008
Times: 11am - 5pm
Venue: Bodhi Gallery
Address: 214 Brick Lane, London E1 6SA (Click here for a map)
Admission: Free

The exhibition showcases portrait photographs of nine half Japanese individuals and a short film by the artist and photographer Natalie Maya Willer in collaboration with writer and researcher Marcia Yumi Lise who carried out the interviews. The accompanying short film “Taeko & Hermann” is a personal account of Natalie’s parents’ marriage and deals with issues arising in intercultural relationships.

The in-depth interviews of these half Japanese people, commonly referred to as the Hafus in Japan, reveal the complex nature of their experiences - a result of various factors ranging from appearance, family relationships and education, to issues surrounding identity and our racially designated world.

Featuring five British Japanese Hafus, the words of these nine Hafus provide a rich account of their lives and let us explore the ways in which they construct their identities and establish a sense of belonging whilst being in between different cultures. It also provides a platform which allows Hafus to recognise their individual diversity and to define their own ethnic identity.

The exhibition hosts a range of events that engages the public, including talks, family workshops and a Hafu networking evening.

For more information please have a look at http://www.pih.org.uk/events/halfjapanese.html
pineapple and peanut butter rock!
sounds cool Yumi ^^ gratz on all the hard work finally paying off =). Will pop on over during one of the days with friends, I look forward to it (!)
yumi I wish u all the best for a successful event! I wish I could make it!!
I sounds really interesting!! too bad I'll be in Japan at that time! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]
Hi Alex, yes please do come!!! We'll keep you guys posted about dates!

Maeku, thanks for your support! You've been very helpful in giving advice! We're registering our event on the Japanese embassy JAPAN UK 150 relations' campaign! Fingers crossed for registration! Wish you could make it but perhaps we will be able to do an even bigger event!! haha a dream! : )

menina! Shame you can't come!! Are you going there to live/holiiday?
<!--quoteo(post=211000:date=Sep 1 2008, 06:44 PM:name=yumi)-->QUOTE(yumi @ Sep 1 2008, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hi Alex, yes please do come!!! We'll keep you guys posted about dates!

Maeku, thanks for your support! You've been very helpful in giving advice! We're registering our event on the Japanese embassy JAPAN UK 150 relations' campaign! Fingers crossed for registration! Wish you could make it but perhaps we will be able to do an even bigger event!! haha a dream! : )

menina! Shame you can't come!! Are you going there to live/holiiday?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oh we need to talk!! if u add a greek-japanese in the ehixibiton (and I do not mean myself) we could have it in Greece next year for the 110 Greek-Japanese relations... let me think about it... can changes be done?..
holiday!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=211010:date=Sep 2 2008, 03:36 PM:name=maeku 476)-->QUOTE(maeku 476 @ Sep 2 2008, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->oh we need to talk!! if u add a greek-japanese in the ehixibiton (and I do not mean myself) we could have it in Greece next year for the 110 Greek-Japanese relations... let me think about it... can changes be done?..<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That will be very interesting actually! I don't know any Greek-Japanese people but if we can combine say 4 greek hafus who were mainly brought up in Greece and a further 4 greek hafus who were brought up in Japan it can serve as an event that promotes mutual understanding!! I only know one greek hafu who was brought up in Japan...
We have a website now : )

www.hafujapanese.org

UK based Hafus please come along to our Hafu Evening at the Bodhi Bar/Cafe in Brick Lane!!
Or indeed anybody who can make will be fantastic!

Yoroshiku desu.

Marcia
nice looking website! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbup.gif[/img]
Japanese hockey, Asian sports and whatnot:

[url="http://jhockey.wordpress.com/"]http://jhockey.wordpress.com/[/url]
Tis a great thing you're doing, Marcia. Nothing but great luck to you in this endeavour. Wish I could attend. Anybody have a spare R/T ticket from LAX to Heathrow layin' around?!
[color="#0000FF"]Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak....or in some cases, post.[/color]
I second that ---

I love the portraits -- Let us know when the others get uploaded. Looking forward to seeing the rest

Yumi, are you planning on taking videos of the seminar too?

<!--quoteo(post=211645:date=Oct 2 2008, 10:46 PM:name=number9)-->QUOTE(number9 @ Oct 2 2008, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->nice looking website! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbup.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

arigato! I made it myself : )

<!--quoteo(post=211652:date=Oct 3 2008, 12:25 AM:name=73bonneville)-->QUOTE(73bonneville @ Oct 3 2008, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Tis a great thing you're doing, Marcia. Nothing but great luck to you in this endeavour. Wish I could attend. Anybody have a spare R/T ticket from LAX to Heathrow layin' around?!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you! Wish we could get a Hafu Fund to gather all the Hafus from across the globe!

<!--quoteo(post=211653:date=Oct 3 2008, 12:38 AM:name=FIVE)-->QUOTE(FIVE @ Oct 3 2008, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I second that ---

I love the portraits -- Let us know when the others get uploaded. Looking forward to seeing the rest

Yumi, are you planning on taking videos of the seminar too?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is something I am considering to do depending on the no of helpers we get.. But we will definitely get a seminar report drafted after and upload it on our web. : )
I'm looking forward to seeing the other photos. I don't know why but I'm really drawn to photographic portraits. I'll look at portraits of people that I don't know in yearbooks and on the walls of my local community theatre and just stare and stare.

I really like the three photos that have been uploaded so far.
The rest of the photographs have been uploaded : )

http://www.hafujapanese.org/exhibits.html
This is awesome [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbup.gif[/img] I remember meeting Hitomi in London. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I think if anything, what these photos show is that it's incredibly difficult to make generalisations about how Halvsies look. They all look so different and have interesting faces. Some people think that saying that someone having an interesting face is derogatory but I think that you can have an interesting face and be beautiful or ugly.

By the way, how do I read the interviews? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wakaranai.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=211844:date=Oct 12 2008, 10:34 AM:name=Nez)-->QUOTE(Nez @ Oct 12 2008, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This is awesome [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbup.gif[/img] I remember meeting Hitomi in London. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I think if anything, what these photos show is that it's incredibly difficult to make generalisations about how Halvsies look. They all look so different and have interesting faces. Some people think that saying that someone having an interesting face is derogatory but I think that you can have an interesting face and be beautiful or ugly.

By the way, how do I read the interviews? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wakaranai.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes I agree to what you say about making generalisations. Although somehow there is a 'look' sometimes.. but not everbody fits the imagined face of a typical Hafu.

Interviews are only available at the exhibition at the moment. I need to get consent from the Hafus who participated and they may be published on the web after the exhibition. : )
I wanted to let you know that the private view yesterday was a big success with over 80 people who enjoyed the photographs and interview trascripts with free japanese drinks (Midori - a melon liquore by Suntory!) and osenbeis (Clearspring).

I am extremely happy that there is a lot of interest in it and will be putting up pictures of the event next week or so. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Pictures of people looking at pictures. How interesting. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hmmm.gif[/img]
I can't wait to see all this and listen to the seminars tomorrow Marcia! still can't believe one of my lecturers at uni is going to do talk XD