Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just more curious questions :)

Hi hi,

I am just curious about two things:

!. Koso
2. Majide

I’ve seen them used a lot, and I’m not secure about their meanings. And you know me, I just don’t like that feeling!
Koso - Used for emphasis. I'm not sure there's an exact translation to English, unfortunately. It's used like:

「これ<b>こそ</b>がワッフルだ!」
("Now *this* is a waffle!")

Can also be used (in a way) to mean "too":

Aさん:お前よく遅れるね。
Bさん:君<b>こそ</b>いつも遅れてるじゃん。

A: You're always late.
B: Look who's talking. (or for a more direct translation, "*You're* always late, too!")

Majide - This is slang, but it means "fur realz lol!" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink2.gif[/img] In all seriousness, it simply means: really, seriously, etc. Usage:

Aさん:昨日さ、朝の3時まで飲んでたよ。
Bさん:マジで?!

A: I was up until 3 in the morning drinking last night.
B: Seriously??

or

A:マジで腹へったよ。

A: I'm seriously hungry.
Great examples, hapacheese!
I can never explain language to people. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blush21.gif[/img]
^me neither! I tried to reply to this but didnt as I couldnt explain properly! I would have just confused Aya-chan more! lol

OK... Hapacheese... heres another one for you...

ぜひ・・・

Ive had it explained to me but still cant figure out how to use it...

A: 今度一緒にランチに行こうね?
B: ぜひ!

but i dont get it......
doesn't it just mean: "certainly!" ?
like: "yeah, we really should!"

... or so I think! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
menina explained it best [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

ぜひ = certainly/surely, but it can also mean please, etc.

「ぜひ、ためしてください。」
"Please, try this."

thanks! i kinda get it.... but i still kinda dont.
its just one of those words i just cant get my head round to use... a bit like ちなみに
ちなみに is pretty straight forward, actually. All it means is, "By the way..." (not literally, but it's used in pretty much the same exact way.)

Best way to figure out how to use those is to try them in a sentence. Try posting something and I'll laugh quietly to myself... I mean I'll let you know if you're using them right [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink2.gif[/img]

(You know I'm just joking [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] )

みんなさんありがとう!!^-^
<!--quoteo(post=205573:date=Mar 21 2008, 06:59 PM:name=hapacheese)-->QUOTE(hapacheese @ Mar 21 2008, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Majide - This is slang, but it means "fur realz lol!" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink2.gif[/img] In all seriousness, it simply means: really, seriously, etc. Usage:

Aさん:昨日さ、朝の3時まで飲んでたよ。
Bさん:マジで?!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
believe it or not, my mother has forbid me from using the word... and other "bad-slang" words..

no wonder everyone in Japan think I talk like a grandmother... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img] which reminds me.. my mother thought that Nez mother was very polite, good-mannered and had well taught her son, Nez.... I think our mothers could become good friends
<!--quoteo(post=205739:date=Mar 26 2008, 01:41 PM:name=hapacheese)-->QUOTE(hapacheese @ Mar 26 2008, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->ちなみに is pretty straight forward, actually. All it means is, "By the way..." (not literally, but it's used in pretty much the same exact way.)

Best way to figure out how to use those is to try them in a sentence. Try posting something and I'll laugh quietly to myself... I mean I'll let you know if you're using them right [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink2.gif[/img]

(You know I'm just joking [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] )<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ぜひ 今度ロンドンに来る時遊ぼうね!
ちなみに いつ来るの?

ok.. now you can laugh :-P

You used 'em right, so no need for me to laugh!

(Well, at least not at your Japanese skillz [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink2.gif[/img] )
uuuh I have to learn how to use these words. I know what they mean, but I also find it weird to use them.
I guess to me they are like English words I almost never use except in writing like "moreover" and "rather" etc.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] Thanks Hapacheese :-P
but yay!! ... i still couldnt say it out loud though! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]

Menina.. yeah thats true! same for me