Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kame hame haaaaa!
Cheese guy, you didn't read my post did you? i made it clear that this movie would suck in the first place.

(Plus it's made by hollywood. So by default this dragonball movie is going to suck, and so goku being played by a white guy just keeps adding insult to injury.)
Haha, no - I read it. Just your statement seemed like it left the possibility of non-maximum suckage, and I was just correcting you that casting choice would not really affect the suckage.

In all fairness, though, the scuttlebutt is that the story tries to stay as true to the manga as possible (but takes some weird liberties at certain points), so I give them kudos if that's true... but it still hurts my head that someone greenlit this.
Oh my god..... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] anime and/or games should not be made into movies....with actors and such....
just had a discussion with friends about this.... did they run out of movie ideas or what?!? What if they decide to make ...tetsuwan atom........ack...
If ignorance is bliss then I'd rather be miserable....
Hollywood just doesn't <i>get</i> these things. Hollywood has perfected the art of taking a good series and turning it into a shit movie.
I'm puzzling over the white guy/Asian guy thing. I mean, I was never into this, but Goku was an alien, not Japanese, no? In any case, I just don't think that that art style would translate well to live action in any case. Nobody, of any race I know of, looks like that. Also, as 9 said, isn't he blonde half the time anyway?
<!--quoteo(post=206015:date=Apr 1 2008, 06:58 PM:name=Nez)-->QUOTE(Nez @ Apr 1 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hollywood just doesn't <i>get</i> these things. Hollywood has perfected the art of taking a good series and turning it into a shit movie.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have you seen the movie Akira that came out back in '88? Hollywood is remaking a live action movie of that. And the cast will be all white guys. Im not kidding.
Ooooh, don't forget the live action Fist of the North Star! *shudder*

The problem with a lot of anime, and Toriyama Akira in particular, is that the characters are primarily distinguished by ridiculous hair styles, weird hair color, and over-the-top costumes. Even moreso than American comics (with American comics, you can just change the costume for the most part and be alright). So when you have a character like Goku, the only real identifying factor is his hair. And that hair simply can't look good in real life.

(There are exceptions in anime, like those based on the real world, but you know what I mean.)
Damn, that's a good summary cheese.
Japanese hockey, Asian sports and whatnot:

[url="http://jhockey.wordpress.com/"]http://jhockey.wordpress.com/[/url]
<!--quoteo(post=206040:date=Apr 2 2008, 08:41 PM:name=gh3tt0nikkei)-->QUOTE(gh3tt0nikkei @ Apr 2 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Have you seen the movie Akira that came out back in '88? Hollywood is remaking a live action movie of that. And the cast will be all white guys. Im not kidding.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I really don't think the problem is the white guys. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sweat.gif[/img]
I just googled these pics.

http://webpages.csus.edu/~jy23/goku,gohan,...ck,andgoten.jpg

Yeah they look Japanese to me, just animated.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t146/da...l/android18.jpg

And she looks white just animated.

So i don't know why there is even a debate about this. I thought it was even well known that Most Japanese celebs are the most capable of looking like anime characters.

[Image: Rei_Ayanami.jpg]
[Image: goodAyanami.jpg]

And has anyone seen Gokusen? Yeah if you know anything about that you know Japanese are the most capable of looking like anime.

That's just an Ayanami Rei cosplayer, not a celeb.

Super saiya-jin are just kinpatsu or whiteboys, your call.
[Image: ssj2_goku_01.jpg]

[Image: goku18.jpg]

As for Gokusen, I refer to my earlier comment that anime/manga based on more realistic settings are much easier to translate into live action. Hell, Gokusen is *about* Japanese people - of course you'd be able to get Japanese people to play the roles [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

(And to me, the only thing that looks Japanese about Goku is his hair color and his eyebrows...)
<!--quoteo(post=206296:date=Apr 7 2008, 05:13 AM:name=number9)-->QUOTE(number9 @ Apr 7 2008, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That's just an Ayanami Rei cosplayer, not a celeb.

Super saiya-jin are just kinpatsu or whiteboys, your call.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[Image: Saiyan_Characters.jpg]
They don't look white. They look japanese.

super saiyajin is just a transformation of saiyajins when they power up, it doesn't have to do with a race. So it's basically a japanese guy powers up and his hair turns gold.

Saiyajins are East Asians or Japaneseboys, your call.

<!--quoteo(post=206308:date=Apr 7 2008, 11:16 AM:name=hapacheese)-->QUOTE(hapacheese @ Apr 7 2008, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->(And to me, the only thing that looks Japanese about Goku is his hair color and his eyebrows...)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So what are your standards for a japanese person to look animated in toriyama's art style? Slanted eyes? Rice picker? Computer geek? Sushi chef?

Goku is east asian there is no argument even if you don't think so he is. Yamucha is chinese yet he looks like he could be a saiyajin like goku. Same with goku's wife who is chinese.
<!--quoteo(post=206317:date=Apr 7 2008, 11:02 PM:name=gh3tt0nikkei)-->QUOTE(gh3tt0nikkei @ Apr 7 2008, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So what are your standards for a japanese person to look animated in toriyama's art style? Slanted eyes? Rice picker? Computer geek? Sushi chef?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd--> Drycleaner? Rickshaw puller?

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE<!--quotec-->They don't look white. They look japanese.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd--> [Image: 11.jpg]
He looks like a monkey to me [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wakaranai.gif[/img]

Anyway, I've started reading through the Dragonball manga online, and it's, well . . . Bulma is such a little <i>ho</i> [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE<!--quotec-->Goku is east asian there is no argument even if you don't think so he is. Yamucha is chinese yet he looks like he could be a saiyajin like goku. Same with goku's wife who is chinese.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's because Toriyama characters are more Toriyama than Japanese or Chinese or Saiya-jin (or even White or cyborg, I guess)

[Image: 06.jpg]
Poor Yamcha [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Oooh, dry cleaner would do it!!!

In all seriousness, like number9 said, Toriyama Akira's characters all look the same. He's got a very distinctive art style that has a special place in my childhood memories, but change the hair color on any of his "white" characters and you'll get an Asian dude.
Dragonball series doesn't even feel japanese anymore. it's global crap now.

it's too bad too, since i watched this show like everyday when i was a little kid.
I just learned what "kame hame haaaa" was this weekend. I had no idea. My BF was telling me about some guy who did a parody of Dragonball where he used both hands to gather up his fart and throw it at someone like a weapon. At first, I thought he was telling me that the character in the show really does this (which sort of made me want to watch) but then he told me otherwise.

Edit:

I've just been corrected by my BF. It wasn't a parody. Some guy wrote a book and said that a favorite way to assert his manhood is by farting. His preferred method of sharing that fart is Dragonball Style (what I described above) while shouting "kame hame haaaa." I was trying to find a YouTube vid of the parody. I found plenty of Dragonball fart vids but none fit what the BF described. So I asked him about it, he laughed at me, and told me what I just told you about the book.