All Hāfu Japanese

Full Version: For halvsies in Japan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For all the Tokyo Halvsies or halvsies who have ever lived in Japan........

Just interested to know...

1. What made you move to Japan?
2. How are you finding it? Is it as you expected?
3. Any distinct culture differences or difficulties you experience in every day life?
4. What are the plus points of being there compared to where you came from?
5. How do you find working in Japan?

Two things, lack of interest in staying in England: whilst staying there and going to uni was an option I didn't see the appeal (which is apparent now). Also something I'm sure most have had being that I wanted to experience life over here. Like, first hand.

I was always kinda told by my parents what living here was like (perhaps a little biased preferring the side of England) but I've actually found living in Japan a lot of fun. I do however wish to travel Japan and see a bit more of it though, so far I've only been to Tokyo and Okinawa... and Gunma.

3. Any distinct culture differences or difficulties you experience in every day life?
I don't like the sempai-kouhai relationships.
But neither do Japanese people.
On the most, people will let you slide if you don't give into it though (unless it's like, at work).

I've changed a lot as a person so I wouldn't be sure. Thing about it is Japan still feels a bit like a holiday for me, and just as I'm sure that England is a nice place to go on holiday to - but not so much to live in, I'd need more time to give a definite answer on which is better (Japan/England).
It's really what you make of it, I think.

Being an ALT I don't really have to deal with superiors or co-workers too much, so I'm not sure what actually working here is like. My job is fun though! (for now, or so people tell me, haha)
1. What made you move to Japan? I was born in Japan so I had no choice [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

2. How are you finding it? Is it as you expected? I love it when I lived there, clean city, friends people good food, its really hard to explain unless you live there, alot of pride you know

3. Any distinct culture differences or difficulties you experience in every day life? just alot more pride, trust people more

4. What are the plus points of being there compared to where you came from? another hard thing to explain but I never knew what it meant to be japanese until I came to the states

5. How do you find working in Japan? I actully miss working in japan, my boss used to take me out all the time for dinner and beer, my boss doesnt do that here
It's 4 in the morning, I can't sleep, here it goes:

I wanted to learn the language and leave behind trouble I associated with my old place, I guess if I wouldn't be half japanese I would have also left and gone somewhere else.

It's interesting and exhausting but I think it' worth doing. In a way it was what I expected, after I had seen japan a few times during short stays, I expected to see a more creepy and ugly side under the pretty surface of japan, and I did. I think if you grew up outside Japan and you go back you will get to know yourself better, you actually realise which character traits of you are japanese and understand yourself better.

many I guess, but I think if you are ignorant or insensitive enough like me and don't think too deep into it it will be very interesting but won't give you too much trouble.

In a sense it's the flair of a 'new start'. Because Japan is so different from western countries, the new environment can help you leave a lot of things behind.

more difficult than in germany because japanese people are so dedicated to their work and especially the work community and the environment. They do lots of personal sacrifice to do well and this sets everyone under a certain pressure. If you don't keep up with the pace and the effort of the group it may be considered egoistic. That is my personal experience, I have also heard of work environments where it is more relaxed.
Finished school and had nothing to do. Moved to Japan and shushokukatsudo-ed, found a dece job and getting by. I find Japan more comfortable and homely. And the food is better than American food, which is not really food.

I love everything except the economy and mediocre pay. Its a lot more expensive than I imagined.

Yes but theres too many to list. Difficulties.. not really I mean I pretty much fit in and all I really need is health insurance. Although, Japanese peoples' lack of understanding of the rest of the world is a bit annoying at times. Younger people are slowly changing but for the most part still have the same mentality from 30 years ago.

Everything except my family and friends live abroad.

Shitty. Especially now. I wish the economy would pick up and executives paid less.
[/quote]