All Hāfu Japanese

Full Version: Questions about location in Japan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, since I'm applying to be an English teacher in Japan..I was wondering if people could help me out a little bit.

I'm looking to teach hopefully in a semi-urban area..doesn't have to be crazy populated like Tokyo, but I don't want to be in the country.

I know nothing about the geography/location in Japan really, except that there are 4 islands, so keep that in mind [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laughlong.gif[/img]

Could you please describe Kanto, Tohoku, Hokkaido, Kansai, and Chubu?

Also, does anyone know if any companies exist that would pay my flight to Japan? Thanks a bunch in advance
I'm studying in Kyoto right now (that's Kansai). It's pretty cool, I can go to Osaka and Kobe really easily. Osaka is great for shopping and concerts - Kyoto is fun for shopping but no concerts at all (T_T).
Depends on what you really want. I'm a londoner so I'm finding it a tad quiet but it's nice for a change. You can bike every where in Kyoto which kicks ass. Kansai gets horribly humid in the summer. Kyoto is a sweat bath, it also is fricking cold in the winter.
If you want to know any thing more specific ask away.
<!--quoteo(post=202934:date=Feb 29 2008, 05:00 AM:name=sayaka)-->QUOTE(sayaka @ Feb 29 2008, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm studying in Kyoto right now (that's Kansai). It's pretty cool, I can go to Osaka and Kobe really easily. Osaka is great for shopping and concerts - Kyoto is fun for shopping but no concerts at all (T_T).
Depends on what you really want. I'm a londoner so I'm finding it a tad quiet but it's nice for a change. You can bike every where in Kyoto which kicks ass. Kansai gets horribly humid in the summer. Kyoto is a sweat bath, it also is fricking cold in the winter.
If you want to know any thing more specific ask away.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cool...this post was pretty helpful [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

When I find a job and head over, I probably won't be doing much shopping at all...Mostly trying to squirrel away money, and sightseeing.
Yokohama or Kawasaki are good if you want to be close to Tokyo.
I've never lived there, but I always wanted to live in Okayama, which is close to Osaka.
It's a small town but it is a town (as opposed to a village)
just found this site for job searching:
http://www.thejapanjobsearch.com/
<!--quoteo(post=203075:date=Mar 2 2008, 06:09 AM:name=Steph)-->QUOTE(Steph @ Mar 2 2008, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->just found this site for job searching:
http://www.thejapanjobsearch.com/<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thanks!
<!--quoteo(post=202937:date=Feb 29 2008, 01:13 PM:name=troyakira)-->QUOTE(troyakira @ Feb 29 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cool...this post was pretty helpful [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

When I find a job and head over, I probably <!--sizeo:5--><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><!--/coloro-->won't be doing much shopping at all..<!--colorc-->
<!--/colorc--><!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->.Mostly trying to squirrel away money, and sightseeing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
u r a guy thats why!!

ANyway!! why dont u try Kamakura?!! its close to Tokyo (aout an hour away) and its not urban but not far away from a major city neither!!!

I live in kawasaki which is next to Tokyo .. its nice but its pretty urban.... well, around my place anyway...

iF i HAD THE CHOICE I d go to Kyoto.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/inlove.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=203196:date=Mar 3 2008, 06:19 AM:name=maeku 476)-->QUOTE(maeku 476 @ Mar 3 2008, 06:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->u r a guy thats why!!

ANyway!! why dont u try Kamakura?!! its close to Tokyo (aout an hour away) and its not urban but not far away from a major city neither!!!

I live in kawasaki which is next to Tokyo .. its nice but its pretty urban.... well, around my place anyway...

iF i HAD THE CHOICE I d go to Kyoto.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/inlove.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think I'd take a job just about anyplace right now actually [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]. I'd do almost anything to work and live in kamakura though
<!--quoteo(post=203202:date=Mar 3 2008, 02:26 PM:name=troyakira)-->QUOTE(troyakira @ Mar 3 2008, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think I'd take a job just about anyplace right now actually [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]. I'd do almost anything to work and live in kamakura though<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
well u see.... I m sure there are enlgish language schools there, plus u could do osme other job in parallel, like walk tourists, cause a LOT of foreigners visit Kamakura daily....

<!--quoteo(post=203208:date=Mar 3 2008, 06:31 AM:name=maeku 476)-->QUOTE(maeku 476 @ Mar 3 2008, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->well u see.... I m sure there are enlgish language schools there, plus u could do osme other job in parallel, like walk tourists, cause a LOT of foreigners visit Kamakura daily....<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah..I've gotta keep looking and applying everywhere.
yeah Kamakura would be really nice !
Let us know how you get on with your search...
i was offered a job as an ALT for 240,000 yen/month working 40 hrs week. Not sure if I'll accept it yet.. i also have an interview on march 17th and I think they pay 280,000 per month. Do you all think the extra 40,000 yen a month would matter really? What's that, almost 400$? i told them that i needed more time to decide
I m not an expert but I think yes, 40,000 difference does matter but it depends... are u gonna be spending them cause the 280,000 job will be far away from where u r gonna be living....? or is it like in central Tokyo, thereofre more expensive to rent an apartment?

we need more factors!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hmm.gif[/img]
wow offer already - great stuff!
yes, you should look at all the details in order to decide whether the extra money is worth it, as Maeku says!
280.000 is good enough to live on. You should count 1/3 for an apartment. (FYI I managed to live on 80.000-100.000/month as waitress and it wasn't that bad)

40 hours a week is not bad at all (thats pretty good actually) so you can do a bit of commuting and for 80.000 you get a great apartment even in the city. i paid 90.000 for a 20 squaremetre place in Shinjuku (thats as center as it gets pretty much) which is small, but it was a new building and overall acceptable so i ended up living there over a year before the noise got to me.

Now I live 20 minutes by train from the center pay not much more but hve double the space. which is cheap and leaves me more to spend on other things. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] I chose to undercut the 1/3 rule and chose a cheaper apartment in comparison to my regular salary. Which I would always recommend you. Money tends to flooooat away so it's good to keep the monthly costs as low as possible. Plus as a language teacher I'm sure you won't get bonuses so don't count on that.

The apartment I lived in before that doesnt count for a few reasons, so i wont specify on that, but before THAT i lived in machida (40 minutes by train) in 15 squaremetres for 50.000 Yen.

Whether 40.000 matter or not depends on the job. I personally think that 40K don't mean anything if you do a job that you don't like and could do a job that pays 40K less but is a lot of fun.

Congratulations on the job offer(s) and good luck with your next interview! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
thanks for the advice yuriko [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.gif[/img]
40.000 is money.
as the raging alcoholic i used to be, i'd say you could get pretty fuxxed up for that extra 40.000 a month.
<!--quoteo(post=204323:date=Mar 10 2008, 02:35 AM:name=satoru)-->QUOTE(satoru @ Mar 10 2008, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->40.000 is money.
as the raging alcoholic i used to be, i'd say you could get pretty fuxxed up for that extra 40.000 a month.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, i hear ya. I've got that interview next monday.

I only drink socially and pretty much only do it to fit in so my friends don't give me shit.. so yea I probably won't be spending anywhere close to that much on booze.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.gif[/img]
just kidding dude.
i haven't really been drinking for more than a month now.
trying to be strong you know :l
Pages: 1 2