All Hāfu Japanese

Full Version: Los Angeles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So what is there to do there?
Or what do you recommend?

I went to LA once in high school, but it was only for two days and I was at the UCLA campus only.

For spring break I'm probably going there to visit my best friend, but she's working so during the day I will be alone.
Where in the LA area are you going to be? Also, what sort of transportation will you have?

(LA's a big place...)
My friend lives close to USC and I'm staying at her place.

She doesn't have a car... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]
What is public transportation like?
Ouch... near USC? From what I remember, that's not the nicest of neighborhoods. Like, near south central LA...

Public transportation is getting better, but it's still anemic. Buses are scary as hell, particularly in the sketchier neighborhoods.

Any chance of renting a car? =\
I'm under 25 so renting a car might be hard.
Hmmm.... so it's dodgy yeah?

Maybe I should stay in a hotel instead... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crazy.gif[/img]
Just a quick google search to confirm my memories of stories from friends that went there:

Looks like the campus itself is safe, but it's fairly close to some really bad neighborhoods.
<!--quoteo(post=201946:date=Feb 6 2008, 03:22 PM:name=Marisuke)-->QUOTE(Marisuke @ Feb 6 2008, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><i>I'm under 25 so renting a car might be hard.</i>
Hmmm.... so it's dodgy yeah?

Maybe I should stay in a hotel instead... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crazy.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No doubt more expensive than difficult...
USC is not in a great area, and there really isn't good public transportation in LA. Marisuke i would recommend Santa Monica area and the Getty museum. if you can find a ride to santa monica there is some busing and transport in that area, and you could prob catch one to the getty museum.

I was just going to mention the Getty museum as well. I visited there when I was in LA three years ago and it was very nice place. It had a view over LA and nice architecture as well. There was Rembrandt exhibition which was quite interesting. I think I managed to spend almost half a day there. The strange thing in American museums is that they are commonly free of charge. Is there a reason for that btw?