All Hāfu Japanese

Full Version: euro trip + japan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've got 6 months off work (I actually intend to resign) and I'm planning a bit of a trip...Morocco, Europe, and then catch the train across Russia to Japan as of late january 08. Planning to end up in Japan by May so it'll be kind of rushed.

Will probably do London and the usual european countries like spain, france, italy, germany, and others (?) but havent done any serious planning besides booking a one way plane ticket to morocco at the moment...i've been insanely busy with work till today and only got the morocco lonely planet guide book last week.

I'd appreciate any suggestiongs, recommendations and advice about anything and everything ....what to do, what not to do, where to go, must sees, places to avoid, things to try etc....i think you get my drift. I'm trying to decide on a rough intinerary.

Oh yeah...my language skills are pathetic...besides english, my abilities in arabic, or any of the european languages is nonexistant and my japanese is about as good too. I did enrol myself into an 8 week crash course in beginners french but didnt bother going beyond the 4th week coz i was too busy (i.e. lazy).

Btw. I'm going solo so any traveling partners are welcome to join too!....and of course I'd be keen to meet fellow halvsies.
Damn! that sounds awesome!

I wish you the best of luck o your travels, and hopefully we'll meet up when you get to Japan. Can't think of any good advice at the moment but will give it some more thought.

Oh, I know! have you considered going to Portugal? Out of the places I've been in Europe it is definitely a favorite, nice weather, friendly ppl, didn't care for the food tho..
that sounds so cool!

let us know when you head towards London! :-)

i think you can buy flights to include all the places you want to travel to rather than buying each one seperatly though... much cheaper! I think here in UK you can get those flights for for about 1500 which includes about 12 flights.

i wanna go travelling round and visit all these cool hotels! www.uhotw.com hehe

@tadashi: i'd forgotten about Portugal...might give it some thought..and actually I dont mind the food, well whatever my portugese mates down here feed me anyways.

@steph: if things go to plan once i make one, i think i'll be in London around mid march. i'll post a reminder once i get close to try to meet some of youse. and i think i'll get a eurail pass and use the train to get around although i will consider some of those cheap flights to move on from London.

so, are there any places of danger, disrepute, and debauchery....... that i should not avoid ?
It's a bit of a cliche for "Western Europeans", but anyways, I'd recommend you go to some countries that were once (and not so long ago) behind the Iron Curtain. Life for example here in Poland is very good, considering that 20 years ago still this was a fully planned economy with non existent freedom of speech.

The best are Slovenia, Czech Republic, Hungary... and why not Poland as well. And Bulgaria is getting increasingly popular as a tourist destination.
That's the thing about travelling. So many places to go and not enough time. You don't really get a good sense of a place unless you spend a bit of time there. 3 days and moving on to a new place only lets you scratch the surface. If only I had a replicator like in Star Trek that I could pack in my bag and give me an unlimited supply of funds so that I could travel at leisure. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/inlove.gif[/img]
WOW!!!!!!!!! thats soooo great!! u cant even begin to think how much I envy you [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]

I suppose u must be already on your way to Morocco?...

Why dont u start with Morocco then go up to Spain and then up to France then left to the UK and THEN if u still have time fly to Prague, then go to Russia?... or sth?....

Id suggest Greece but its really off track for u and January is nno fun cause there is no sun....

BUT! if u feel like coming down here Id loooooove to make schedules and proposals for u!!
<!--quoteo(post=199990:date=Jan 3 2008, 07:04 PM:name=maeku 476)-->QUOTE(maeku 476 @ Jan 3 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Why dont u start with Morocco then go up to Spain and then up to France then left to the UK and THEN if u still have time fly to Prague, then go to Russia?... or sth?....<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually my plan is very similar to that. I think I'll fly from London to Rome but not sure which way to head after Italy. I have been considering Eastern Europe but does anyone know if it's any cheaper to travel around the east?

I've been told by a few people that Russia is expensive but then again everywhere is comparatively expensive when you consider how weak the Australian dollar is.

Heading off for Morocco later this month, around the 26th or so.
<!--quoteo(post=200109:date=Jan 6 2008, 11:49 AM:name=rez1)-->QUOTE(rez1 @ Jan 6 2008, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Actually my plan is very similar to that. I think I'll fly from London to Rome but not sure which way to head after Italy. I have been considering Eastern Europe but does anyone know if it's any cheaper to travel around the east?

I've been told by a few people that Russia is expensive but then again everywhere is comparatively expensive when you consider how weak the Australian dollar is.

Heading off for Morocco later this month, around the 26th or so.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At least here in Poland train fares are from 1/3 to 1/2 of what they are in my native Finland. You should easily get for example from Krakow to Warsaw, about 300 km / 180 miles for about 20 euros.

Long distance bus rides, for example from here (Krakow) to Zakopane, a ski resort about 80 - 100 km southwards are only about 2,5 to 4 euros.

Don't know much about other former Eastern bloc countries prce ranges, except that Slovakia should be very cheap still, as well as Romania and Bulgaria. As usual, the better off countries such as the Czech Republic and Poland are more expensive.
The eastern bloc countries certainly intrigue me as I dont really know much about those countries.

Does anyone recommend going to Switzerland in winter if you don't intend to ski or snowboard?