All Hāfu Japanese
Toronto's J-Town - Printable Version

+- All Hāfu Japanese (https://forums.halvsie.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forums.halvsie.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Regional (https://forums.halvsie.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Toronto's J-Town (/showthread.php?tid=322)

Pages: 1 2

Toronto's J-Town - ken_93 - 06-30-2009

I don't know if there are a lot of Toronto halvsies here, but I was just wondering if you've ever been to Toronto's J-Town, and, if so, what you thought about it... I find it quite depressing... but maybe it's just me...

Also, how does toronto's j-town compare to others, say LA's??

Toronto's J-Town - lisako - 06-30-2009

<!--quoteo(post=218580:date=Jun 29 2009, 06:15 PM:name=ken_93)-->QUOTE(ken_93 @ Jun 29 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't know if there are a lot of Toronto halvsies here, but I was just wondering if you've ever been to Toronto's J-Town, and, if so, what you thought about it... I find it quite depressing... but maybe it's just me...

Also, how does toronto's j-town compare to others, say LA's??<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At least you got a Japan town!

Toronto's J-Town - ken_93 - 06-30-2009

I suppose that's true.... but toronto's a pretty big city, so I would expect a bit better considering that there are 2 korea towns and i think 3 china towns....

ALSO... all the books (aside from the magazines at the front) are from before i was born [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crazy.gif[/img]

Toronto's J-Town - number9 - 06-30-2009

yeah, probably the best j-town that side of vancouver [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Toronto's J-Town - ninjew - 07-01-2009

Lucky you have a J-town though! There doesn't seem to be as many Japanese people as there are Chinese and Koreans in the US...so even in reallyyyy populated areas like New York, there is a Chinatown but no Japantown. :[ Sad! We need more pride!

Toronto's J-Town - ken_93 - 07-01-2009

I dunno about having J-Town being that great.... It's kinda like a tiny alley overshadowed by a massive chinese mall really close by...

It's pretty sad about there being so few japanese people compared to other asians... There are like 5(?) at my school, including all the halvsies. I mean if there were more of them, there would be a better j-town and the japanese store near my house that I always went to wouldn't have closed [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]

Toronto's J-Town - number9 - 07-01-2009

Happy Canada Day!

Toronto's J-Town - chiquita - 07-01-2009

I didn't even know there WAS a J-town in Toronto. When my parents lived there (they were there for about 7 years, from 1996 onwards), all they knew was a small, sad grocery store. Can't remember the name of it...

Toronto's J-Town - Cube - 07-01-2009

<!--quoteo(post=218581:date=Jun 30 2009, 12:16 AM:name=lisako)-->QUOTE(lisako @ Jun 30 2009, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->At least you got a Japan town!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
x2

Toronto's J-Town - ken_93 - 07-01-2009

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE<!--quotec-->Happy Canada Day!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks number9!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE<!--quotec-->I didn't even know there WAS a J-town in Toronto. When my parents lived there (they were there for about 7 years, from 1996 onwards), all they knew was a small, sad grocery store. Can't remember the name of it...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

according to the website.... j-town opened in 1998 in june...
as for the small sad grocery store... I'm gonna place my bet on "sanko." Maybe that's it...
[Image: sanko_store.jpg]

Toronto's J-Town - chiquita - 07-01-2009

^
Yep, I think that's the one [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Toronto's J-Town - Marisuke - 07-02-2009

J-Town is not that bad (I'm in Toronto by the way). The only beef I have is the price. You can find the same stuff at Mitsuwa's in the US for a lot less.

When I lived in Ottawa, the nation's capital, there was no Japanese grocery store - if I wanted to buy something that was Japanese, I had to go to the Korean supermarket. Anyway, it's all about supply and demand, no? There aren't that many first generation Japanese here in Toronto.

Chiquita, your parents lived in Mississauga so I think they went to the Japanese market there. Unfortunately, it closed down and a lot of the staff moved to J-Town. << R.I.P Sad Grocery Store in the 'Burbs >>

Toronto's J-Town - ken_93 - 07-02-2009

Marisuke... you live in toronto?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]

I do. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]

Whereabouts in the city are you?

College/Spadina area [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

How about you??

Nice - so you live in Chinatown?

I'm at Bayview/Lawrence - the geriatric ward of the city. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crazy.gif[/img]

yup... living near china town is usually good... but because of the garbage strike... not so much fun [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/shutup.gif[/img]

anyway, bayview/lawrence is good... u get to see the bridal path (lots of huge houses rich people own)!!

I hear ya! The strike doesn't seem to be ending any time soon too.

It's definitely a nice area, but there's not much to do here.
Most people who live here are the age of my housemates aka my parental unit.

There's always the subway [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbup.gif[/img]

Indeed !
I go out a lot and meet up with friends who live downtown. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laughlong.gif[/img]