Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Mottos!
Check out this List of National Mottos.
I didn't realise that countries had mottoes, or just hadn't thought about it until now.
Gordon Brown is proposing that we have one for Britain.
It seems that Japan doesn't have one either.
What should Japan's national motto be? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/whistling.gif[/img]

I like Aruba's:

One happy island! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]
Make every moment count!
Greece is:
Liberty/Freedom or.... death [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/evil.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]
Make every moment count!
why donet we create a motto for the halvsie nation?
Yeah, of course, that too!
Are we talking about Halvsiestan? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
Make every moment count!
Some of the one's for Britain suggested by BBC readers are pretty good!

Britain, at least it isn't America [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/whistling.gif[/img]
Make every moment count!
<!--quoteo(post=192535:date=Sep 22 2007, 06:42 AM:name=danielyuki)-->QUOTE(danielyuki @ Sep 22 2007, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Some of the one's for Britain suggested by BBC readers are pretty good!

Britain, at least it isn't America [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/whistling.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Don't go comparing yourself to your former colony! That's a marketing no no. Then again, I guess it's been generations already [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laughlong.gif[/img]
Japanese hockey, Asian sports and whatnot:

[url="http://jhockey.wordpress.com/"]http://jhockey.wordpress.com/[/url]
I like the motto Eddie Izzard gave to the Church of England: Cake or death?
i like that japan doesnt have a national motto.

how about. yankee go home. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sweat.gif[/img]

norway got a weak one. everything for nroway. in a way it seems apropriate thinking just how much tax we have to pay. you work and everything you give to the state.

Quote:Give us the answers or stay the f*ck away from this thread, loser!
FATGuy
<!--quoteo(post=192530:date=Sep 21 2007, 10:20 PM:name=danielyuki)-->QUOTE(danielyuki @ Sep 21 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Greece is:
Liberty/Freedom or.... death [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/evil.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
its Freedom or Death but it is not used anymore. It was used as a motto during the 1821 liberation war.. so u see... this attachment u have is not too updated!!!

what it meant was: we other free ourselves or die trying to.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] the 1821 warriors are the last true Greeks I thiink...
the new Greek motto for tourism is " Greece... believe in your sense" or sth.... Bad, bad bad motto

of no! it was "live your myth in Greece" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img] worst
<!--quoteo(post=192638:date=Sep 24 2007, 12:17 AM:name=maeku 476)-->QUOTE(maeku 476 @ Sep 24 2007, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->the new Greek motto for tourism is " Greece... believe in your sense" or sth.... Bad, bad bad motto

of no! it was "live your myth in Greece" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img] worst<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oh yeah, in germany you could see that motto together with a photo of the akropolis in every station and bus stop for quite a while, the campaign was massive! greece everywhere. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]
on a side note, the german motto is the first line of the current national anthem, till 1945 the first line and the motto was (well other than 'kill and destroy everything yeah') 'germany, germany above everything'. It is forbidden to sing now. the second verse of the anthem is 'german women, german faith', which could also be suitable as the national motto, but I think even for germans it sounds too korny.
"Once you figure out what a joke everything is, being the Comedian's the only thing that makes sense."
Damn, there are now 1000 suggestions for a motto for the UK! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
Make every moment count!
Switzerland: Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno (Latin, One for all, all for one, traditional, but not official)
How about "Shikataganai"? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laughlong.gif[/img]

I like Spain's "Plus Ultra" -- meaning "further beyond" in perfectly normal Latin, but it sounds like it belongs on a box of detergent. So to keep up with Spain, Japan can be "Hyper DX Plus-alpha" (and change the flag to depict one of those spider-web graphs).
I shall serve no fries before their time.
Hmmm, a Japan motto could be...

Shi katta ga nai
Matthew Ota