Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berlin
I'm going to Berlin for a couple of days this summer. [Image: happy.gif] A friend of mine is getting married. Anything I shouldn't miss? I'm looking for a cheap place to stay too...
Lucky! [Image: smile.gif]

Check out:

- Checkpoint Charlie
- Brandenburger Tor (Brandenburg Gate)
- Reichstag ... it has a really cool dome on the top
- Ka De We (department store) and Kudamm (the street that it's on) ... there are heaps of nice stores to check out
- the zoo
- Jewish Museum ... the architecture of this building is amazing ... I was very impressed with the tour guides as well. They were all bery knowledgeable.

That's all I can think of at the mo ...
Dômo arigatô! How did you like it there? When did you go there last time?
I think a certain moderator would be the expert on Berlin.
<!--quoteo(post=186172:date=Jun 17 2007, 01:22 PM:name=Tadashi)-->QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jun 17 2007, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think a certain moderator would be the expert on Berlin.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Just thought he might not know a cheap place to stay, at least I wouldn't know where to stay in Vienna...
That's true. But I would imagine there should be loads of hostels in a place like Berlin. Like this one. 25 euros for a single room, is kinda cheap..
Thanks a lot! [Image: smile.gif] I haven't come across this one yet. We're five persons, so that would even be €20...
<!--quoteo(post=186169:date=Jun 17 2007, 07:15 AM:name=miel)-->QUOTE(miel @ Jun 17 2007, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Dômo arigatô! How did you like it there? When did you go there last time?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really liked it!
When there, you MUST eat a Doener.... ok this next part is going to make me sound like such a pig, but...Berlin has the best! I had Doener in Dresden and Pilnitz, but it didn't compare (haha).

I lived there from 2001-2002 and with a host family so I don't really know about cheap places to stay. ><
My dad came to visit me and he's really cheap so the next time I talk to him, I'll ask where he stayed.
Well, I don't like Döner that much [Image: blush21.gif] , but they may be better in Berlin than in Vienna...
Wow, in a host family! I stayed two times with a host family in France and one time in Scotland, but only fort a short period of time. How did you like it there?
I absolutely loved it! [Image: smile.gif]
My "family" was really cool ...

I lived downtown and we didn't have a tv so I did a lot of activities along with exploring Berlin as much as I could.

And everyone has different tastes. My dad doesn't like Doner at all... [Image: blush21.gif]

Mata ikitai---na !! ><
Honto ni urayamasiiyo !!

When are you going?
For a really cheap place to stay, I think there's a huge circus tent that they erect in Tiergarten or somewhere where all the Eurailer types stay. Or maybe that was Munich, I can't remember, but it was really cheap. Have fun!
<!--quoteo(post=186219:date=Jun 17 2007, 08:39 PM:name=Marisuke)-->QUOTE(Marisuke @ Jun 17 2007, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I absolutely loved it! [Image: smile.gif]
My "family" was really cool ...

I lived downtown and we didn't have a tv so I did a lot of activities along with exploring Berlin as much as I could.

And everyone has different tastes. My dad doesn't like Doner at all... [Image: blush21.gif]

Mata ikitai---na !! ><
Honto ni urayamasiiyo !!

When are you going?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->I'm going there in August. Yoroppani mata kuru kotoni nattara isshoni ikô! [Image: smile.gif]

'caddie': Danke! I will check it out.
<!--quoteo(post=186211:date=Jun 18 2007, 01:08 AM:name=Marisuke)-->QUOTE(Marisuke @ Jun 18 2007, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My dad came to visit me and he's really cheap so the next time I talk to him, I'll ask where he stayed.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I wonder if that's a compliment [Image: eh.gif] hehe, I think I'd get along just fine with your dad; I am the KING of cheap!!! [Image: laugh.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=186172:date=Jun 17 2007, 01:22 AM:name=Tadashi)-->QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jun 17 2007, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think a certain moderator would be the expert on Berlin.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, there are two! Yuriko is also from Berlin, but she lives in Tokyo now.

@ miel:
Mmmhh, I'm slightly embarrassed because I don't know that much about my city. [Image: blush21.gif] (I've also been here for less than a year so far..)
But one good thing I can recommend to do if you wanna see the beautiful parts of the city is to take a walk along the Spree river, if you go from the west towards the center, you gonna see most of the important things, and the riverside is one of the most beautiful things in the city. there are many green places and a few beach bars to sit down, and on a sunny day there are many people hanging out there. you'll pass the central station and the parliament before reaching the Friedrichstrasse which is a big shopping street with many restaurants. (We went there when Sasa was in Berlin)
If you are culturally minded, the museum island is supposed to be worth watching, although I haven't been there yet.
There is also the Sancoussy castle in Potsdam, which is about an hour from central Berlin. I have been there maybe 5 years ago so I can't remember exactly, but it's also supposed to be quite good.
Another good place to hang out on a sunny day is the Tiergarten-Park in central Berlin, it's near Brandenburger Tor and the street of 17th July.
dunno if this is a good info for you, feel free to ask about anything else you wanna know!
Btw. I think Sasa could recommend you a place to stay maybe, she was staying in some hostel while she was here. I wish I could offer you my place but my appartment will be probably way too smal for 5 peeps. (plus I may be in Japan at that time)
O yeah about the Döner: It's probably not better than in Vienna, in fact much of the Döner is supposedly quite unhealthy because the meat they use isn't really good nor fresh. I once read a list of the different kind of meat they put in it, it's up to 5 different animals, and probably even more. Plus, because it is a meatball formed into Döner-shape out of different sorts of meat, you don't actually recognize if the Dönermeat you are eating is two weeks old or 2 years. If you wanna eat a good one, eat a chicken Döner, the meat is supposedly much better because the chicken meat looses its shape if you keep it for too long. Just a hint. [Image: wink2.gif]
"Once you figure out what a joke everything is, being the Comedian's the only thing that makes sense."
<!--quoteo(post=186304:date=Jun 18 2007, 10:52 AM:name=caddie)-->QUOTE(caddie @ Jun 18 2007, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wonder if that's a compliment [Image: eh.gif] hehe, I think I'd get along just fine with your dad; I am the KING of cheap!!! [Image: laugh.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it can be a good thing within moderation.
I love free stuff/discounts, cut out all coupons religiously and wait for sales at stores etc.
In fact, last week when I went clubbing, because of my research I saved 10 peanuts cover for myself and all my friends. ^^v

My dad sometimes goes overboard and it’s quite embarrassing though.
I don’t mind the fact that he takes advantage of the senior discounts, but sometimes he goes to the extreme.
A few summers ago, the supermarket close to my house was giving out a case of Cola Light for free and my dad made both my sister and me to go with him along with our friends and our neighbour.

Miel-tan : Sorry for hijacking this thread. I talked to my dad last night. He doesn’t remember the place’s name, but he said it was in Alexanderplatz… vague… I know. Gomen - Confused And I've already been to Europe twice this year so I'm not sure when I will go next. I definitely want to go back to Germany though <3
<!--quoteo(post=186148:date=Jun 17 2007, 09:32 AM:name=miel)-->QUOTE(miel @ Jun 17 2007, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm going to Berlin for a couple of days this summer. [Image: happy.gif] A friend of mine is getting married. Anything I shouldn't miss? I'm looking for a cheap place to stay too...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

great! Berlin ist immer schoen! its one of my fave big town in Europe after Paris and London

you have to take 3 hours inside city walking tour (the brocure is always in every kind of hotel) they have english and german guide.its only 12 euros and you'll get all importances sightseeing.Its damn worthed! (p.s: leave your high heel this time)

and dont forget to sit outside having coffee around 'fernsehen turm' (or you could have coffee on upper side of this building,beutiful view but sure damn expensive )where people on your age like to hang up there

sommer,having coffee outside with many great views is the most thing i'll miss when i have to leave europeSad

and by the way, there is no cheap hotel there. cheap rates is around 130,- euros for single room, not yet tax and breakfast [Image: hmm.gif]
I lived in Berlin last summer. Here are my suggestions:

<b>Where to have fun at night </b>

Some areas to check out:

LSD viertel ( Lychener Strasse, Schliemannstr, Knaackstrasse) in Prenzlauer Berg
Kastanienallee, Prenzlauer Berg
In and around Zionskirchplatz in Prenzl’ Berg
In and around Rykestrasse and Knaackstrasse i.e. close to the Wasserturm
Simon-Dach Strasse

Don’t bother with Ku’Damm or Mitte unless it’s for restaurant dining and someone else is paying

Daytime Fun

Again, Kastanienallee and the LSD viertel – great for cafes, people watching and loitering
Savignyplatz near Ku’Damm if you want a little taste of upmarket Parisian-style
chic and greenery
Mehringdamm for gentle Boho
Kreuzberg to go Multi Kulti. The Turkish Market twice a week rocks.
In the summer: lakes and forests. Teglersee and Wannsee

<b>Eating Out </b>

Ishin Mitte
Mittlestrasse 24, U and S: Friedrichstrasse
sushi

Monsieur Vuong
great Vietnamese food, really cheap. A Must Do.
Alte Schonhauserstrasse 46, U: Rosa Luxemburg Platz

I Due Forni
best pizza in Berlin
Schonhauser Allee 12, U: Senefelderplatz

Pasternak
really great Russian food complete with proper grumpy Soviet service. Knaackstrasse 22-4, U: Senefelderplatz

Hasir
Turkish food: the place we went to when we met up
Oranienburger Strasse 4, S: Hackescher Markt

XII Apostoli ( Yuriko’s favourite)
pizzas
Savigny Passage, Bleibtraustrasse – open 24 hours!!. U: Savignyplatz
Also at Georgenstrasse, Mitte. Yuriko’s favourite branch. U and S: Friedrichstrasse

Gabriel
good proper Jewish cooking inside the Juedisches Gemeindehaus. They do the best pierrogi I have ever tasted. First courses are very filling and one does not need to bother with mains. However if you want to have a 3-Gange meal, then the bills will mount up. But it is SO worth it.
Juedisches Gemeindehaus, Fasanenstrasse. U: Ku’damm

Tadscikishe Teestubem
- amazing Tajik and Russian food with the best selection of teas in Berlin. Comes complete with cushions and low tables to sit on, candles and beautiful wooden interior. Good place to take a date!

Palais am Festengraben, U and S: Friedrichstrasse

Imbiss

Konnopke’s
Yuriko is not a fan but I swear this place does the BEST currywurst in town. And the mayonnaise is not too sweet.
Underneath the tracks at Eberswalderstrasse U-Bahn.

Witty’s
another great Currywurst place
over the road from KaDeWe; U: Wittenburgplatz

Nachtigall Imbiss
really yummy Arab food. I recommend the Schawarmer teller.
Ohlauerstrasse 10, Kreuzberg. U: Goerlitzer Bahnhof

Piccola Italia
great Pizzas. Always packed out, doesn’t matter, it’s worth the wait.
Oranienburger Strasse 6; U and S: Hackescher Markt

<b>
Bars and Cafes and Drinking </b>

In addition to the areas that I have mentioned above, here are some specific places that I really liked

Lots of nice places around Zionskirchplatz. You MUST go to the Weinerei. This is an institution. Basically, you pay 1 euro to get in, fill up your wine glass any number of times and then at the end of the evening you pay what you think they deserve.

On Kastanienallee
Prater: just the NICEST beer garden.
Morgenrot – great for brunch. You pay anything between 3 and 7 euros for brunch: basically you pay what you can afford. It is run by a collective and is therefore brimming over with social justice and good will.
Schwarzsauer
Smoothees – good for fruit juices and healthy Asian-style food. They also have enormous white sofas where you can kick off your shoes, relax and watch the world go by.
Placebo – this is the coffee shop opposite my language school i.e. where all the romantic and social drama took place! I really like the Quarktasche here
The hummous place by Shala Yoga and Dock 11. Great hummous, run by really friendly Israelis.
Café Einstein
Do NOT confuse this with the crappy coffee chain called Einstein Kaffee. This is a classic old Viennese style café in an old villa complete with waiters in apron and tons of newspapers. They do the best strudel in town. It is not cheap but you can move in for the whole day and have perfect peace and quiet. Kurfurstenstrasse 58; U: Nollendorfplat

Altes Europa
this is the café where we met up. Again, perfect for peace, serious reading and writing.
Gipstrasse 11; U: Weinmeisterstrasse

Gorki Park
fantastic Russian food. Great for brunch. Near here there is a hilarious statue of Superman crashing head first into the street.
Weinbergersweg 25; U: Rosenthaler Platz

Kunstliche BEATung
it’s like walking into a space capsule or maybe from the set of Clockwork Orange. Excellent cocktails and good service ( for once!)
Simon-Dach Strasse 20; U: Warschauer Strasse

Cafe Silberstein
more of a daytime place. The sushi here is not bad. The maccha ice-cream is excellent.
Oranienburger Strasse 27, next door to the Neue Synagogue. U: Oranienburger Tor

Anker-Klause
it’s by the bridge, you can see the water, it’s in the heart of Kreuzberg, it’s great. Good place to stop off after going to the Turkish market.
Kottbusse Brucke, corner of Maybachufer, Neukolln.

Café Sybille
it’s slap bang in the middle of 1950s Zuckebaeckerstil Communist architecture. Amazing ice-creams. And it comes with a little exhibition on the history of the street to boot. I really recommend this place.
Karl Marx Allee 72

Al Hamra
another Prenzl’ Berg hangout. Great for hummous and Mediterranean/ Middle East food.
Raumerstrasse 16

<b>Going Out </b>

Get a copy of Tip or Zitty. I prefer Zitty, but it doesn’t really matter which magazine you get.

Kaffee Burger
just about everything here. Indie stuff, poetry readings, the legendary Russkendisko. And cheap beer.
Torstrasse 60; U: Rosa Luxemburg Platz

White Trash Fast Food
all kinds of crazy stuff. Great, swear-word littered burger menu. Waiters in drag. Full of ex-pats.
Schoenhauser Allee 6-7; U: Rosa Luxemburg Platz

Icon
one of the few proper clubs in Berlin. Excellent drum and bass. There is no sign for the club: look for the lighting that has been beamed onto the pavement. I love it here: great for dancing the night away.
Cantianstrasse 15; U: Eberswalderstrasse

Watergate
big space, on the water, ok people. I was not such a huge fan but other friends loved it. They often get some great big name acts. Best of all, it’s near lots of good kebab places for a greasy stop-off after a hectic night out.
U: Schlesichestor

Kulturbraueri
all kinds of stuff here. Music, dance, beer etc. check and see what’s on before you go.
Schoenhauser Allee 35; U: Eberswalder Strasse
...AND a certain Claerchens Ballhaus [Image: laughlong.gif]
Thank you so much, everybody!! [Image: hearts.gif] I'm considering to prolong my stay because 2 days are definitely too short to have a look at all this... I just wanted to go to my friend's wedding and do a little sightseeing, but the places sound very interesting and who knows when Ì'll have the chance to go to Berlin next time...

<!--quoteo(post=186420:date=Jun 19 2007, 03:48 PM:name=AlexanderMinoru)-->QUOTE(AlexanderMinoru @ Jun 19 2007, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->O yeah about the Döner: It's probably not better than in Vienna, in fact much of the Döner is supposedly quite unhealthy because the meat they use isn't really good nor fresh. I once read a list of the different kind of meat they put in it, it's up to 5 different animals, and probably even more. Plus, because it is a meatball formed into Döner-shape out of different sorts of meat, you don't actually recognize if the Dönermeat you are eating is two weeks old or 2 years. If you wanna eat a good one, eat a chicken Döner, the meat is supposedly much better because the chicken meat looses its shape if you keep it for too long. Just a hint. [Image: wink2.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I saw a documentary about how Döners are made, and it didn't exactly make me want to eat them... The lunch you had with Sasa looked much better [Image: smile.gif]

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Marisuke)-->QUOTE(Marisuke)<!--quotec-->A few summers ago, the supermarket close to my house was giving out a case of Cola Light for free and my dad made both my sister and me to go with him along with our friends and our neighbour.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd--> [Image: laughlong.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=186502:date=Jun 20 2007, 12:18 PM:name=caddie)-->QUOTE(caddie @ Jun 20 2007, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->...AND a certain Claerchens Ballhaus [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laughlong.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Woo-hoo!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]