Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
you're livin' in Japan?
<!--quoteo(post=185833:date=Jun 13 2007, 11:46 PM:name=chiquita)-->QUOTE(chiquita @ Jun 13 2007, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->^
[Image: laughlong.gif] I'd just about forgotten about toilet slippers...

Speaking of slippers...if you're going to a public place with slippers (schools, some hospitals/dentists, ryokan - traditional Japanese style hotels etc. etc.), I'd recommend wearing socks, as you have absolutely no idea who's been wearing those slippers before you. I HATE those (usually plastic or faux-leather) slippers - it's so unhygenic - I doubt they ever get cleaned, and god only knows what vile foot disease the previous wearer might've had. Or maybe I'm just uber-sensitive. But I don't like the idea. [Image: no.gif]

Japanese style toilets may be hygenic in the sense that there's no skin contact, but the ones in stations or parks never get cleaned properly - so they STINK [Image: yuk.gif] . Horrendously. People often miss those things, and I think they only hose'em down (no bleach or anything), so there's years of encrusted pee, poop and vomit on the tiles around the things. I avoid them at all costs unless I'm DESPERATE...and ladies in particular - don't forget to take your own little packet of tissue paper (often handed out for free as advertisements) as your average public toilet quite often is devoid of paper.

Also - most Japanese toilets don't provide paper towels/hand dryers, so make sure you take your own handkerchief to dry your hands.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
God I sooooo totally agree with u on all the above!

@Lara! hahaha yeah we call them slippers cause u just "Slip" your foot in them instead of wear them!!!

I am tryingto think of other things.. they are so many that I really dont know where do begin from.... So are u interested in those kind of etiqute thing? I think one thing u should mind is that if u live outside the city center-cente,r u need to know basic japanese cause NOONE will speak english to u.... try the basic like fruit and vegetable names....

Boy.. i WONDER if I d survive in Japan without my obaachan and family..... [Image: unsure.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=185828:date=Jun 13 2007, 11:42 PM:name=Tadashi)-->QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jun 13 2007, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->^I was kinda stumped at the toilet slippers when I was at my cousins house for the first time. It's just a very small room with a toilet for f*cks sake! [Image: wtf.gif] It's not like your going to be walking around anywhere. You just step into the slippers, close the door, turn 180degrees and sit down on the toilet. And there's a fluffy floormat that covers the halfmeter of space between the toilet and the door. Are the special toilet slippers really neccesary? [Image: eh.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think that it's not as much about the hygiene but about the shintoistic concept about what's clean and what's not. This doesn't necessarily has to correspond with the hygiene.
But when I'm at my grandmother's home, I don't use the toilet slippers because I'm afraid that I'll forget to change and walk around the house with the toilet slippers on... [Image: ninja.gif] [Image: wink.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=185878:date=Jun 14 2007, 09:44 AM:name=miel)-->QUOTE(miel @ Jun 14 2007, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't use the toilet slippers because I'm afraid that I'll forget to change and walk around the house with the toilet slippers on... [Image: ninja.gif] [Image: wink.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[Image: laughlong.gif] I actually did that more than once!
Desho! They should come with a warning, or alarm bells if you step outside the toilet with them on [Image: rolleyes.gif]
Make every moment count!
^
[Image: laughlong.gif]

Can't be that hard to design - could be someone's next entrepreneurial (??) project...they would sell like hotcakes, I'm sure.
[color="#9ACD32"]Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

[/color]
<!--quoteo(post=185998:date=Jun 15 2007, 06:56 AM:name=chiquita)-->QUOTE(chiquita @ Jun 15 2007, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->^

Can't be that hard to design - could be someone's next entrepreneurial (??) project...they would sell like hotcakes, I'm sure.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Just within the haafu community [Image: wink2.gif] (western upbringing, Japanese family)
Make every moment count!
I may buy one [Image: hmmm.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=185998:date=Jun 14 2007, 11:56 PM:name=chiquita)-->QUOTE(chiquita @ Jun 14 2007, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->^

Can't be that hard to design - could be someone's next entrepreneurial (??) project...they would sell like hotcakes, I'm sure.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[Image: w00t.gif] right. i could think about it when i move there. better then nothin to do [Image: perv.gif]
im always paranoid when i go to the toilet in restaurants... i always think im gonna walk back to my table with the toilet slippers on! i havent done it yet... but i know its gonna happen... [Image: laughlong.gif]
Do you wear slippers in the house too?

We wear slippers and we have a slipper case(?) by the door when guests come over.
<!--quoteo(post=186150:date=Jun 16 2007, 10:34 PM:name=Marisuke)-->QUOTE(Marisuke @ Jun 16 2007, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Do you wear slippers in the house too?

We wear slippers and we have a slipper case(?) by the door when guests come over.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yup we have that too!
all of you are really worry when just back from toilet with slipper on by accident..

would the reaction of Japanese really bad?

couse then i really need to leave my behaviour using slipper all over da house [Image: crazy.gif]