Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
moving to japan
Hey, my moms decided to move back to Japan at the end of this month. i decided to move with her for a bit , maybe towards the end of this year at the longest dependin on whether i'm able to get a job or not. I dont know japanese all that well, so i'm not sure what sorta jobs I can really get. Im thinking jobs that no one really wants to do like handing out advertisements ect might work. Does anyone know of any good sites for people wanting to work but cant speak japanese or the type of jobs i can get?
Three questions:
Do you have some form of valid visa (or a Japanese passport)
Do you have a degree?
Where abouts in Japan are you moving to?

If you've got the visa stuff sorted your level of Japanese may determine to an extent what kind of jobs you get (say, you might not be able to work on a shop til, or information desk, but warehouse/driver/shelf stacker is fine -- sorry for the bleak example it's just the easiest to explain, lol)

Most good jobs in Japan go to those with degrees, it's just the way it is, vocational jobs aren't too abundant over here. Also if you have a degree, you can teach english, which might not be your thing but it's a job, it can be rewarding to those who like it though!

Depending on where in Japan might also play a part on how successful you are job hunting, but this really depends on your level of Japanese again. I don't mean to sound rude or anything but if a Japanese native can do the job as well as - if not better - than you, chances are they will hire the Japanese person.

As for sites I don't know any off the top of my head but if you look up バイト in google or something it will probably bring up some websites. Gaijinpot.com has a lot of gaijin oriented jobs posted as well. Good luck!
[center]Nobody knows who I am on this forum...!

Except that I'm in all the Tokyo meetup pics... hah

[/center]
visa wise i have a japanese passport. I don't have a degree though so I guess thatll be a problem. im not looking for a real job anyway just something to earn a bit of cash.
I've been here 5 months and am still unemployed, mostly because of circumstances and enjoying being a housewife for the first time in 19 years. Anyway, first, do you look like a young cowgirl who likes children? That's who they are looking for to teach the little kids. Sing nicely and be Disney friendly and you'll go far even without a degree. Me, having that old cowgirl look, can only get so far teaching English no matter how Disney friendly I am. I know they don't want accents either. True American is what they want. As far as regular jobs, they consider me fluent even though I can only communicate and argue in Japanese. Fluent in my mind is a completely different concept to them. I have my mother's accent and voice so my Japanese is so good they can close their eyes and get really shocked when they open them and see the words coming out of MY mouth. It's surreal. So, try the English route. If you look Japanese, that's okay too. I know one girl who is Filipina but has mastered the Disney group leader thing so well (you know, the kid group activity leaders that are very loud, have high voices and lots of energy, that she is very successful. She also has perfect English. Try it out. By the time you have to do something about your visa, you may get a sponsorship with one of the schools. If not, just leave and re-enter the country on another 3 month visa. At least you can say you tried.
The most important factor for foreigners is if you are from a english speaking country or not. There are plenty of part-time english teaching jobs in Japan. Look for the magazines "tokyo notice board" or "Metropolis", they are in english and have many job advertisements in there.
"Once you figure out what a joke everything is, being the Comedian's the only thing that makes sense."
<!--quoteo(post=180336:date=May 7 2007, 04:19 PM:name=AlexanderMinoru)-->QUOTE(AlexanderMinoru @ May 7 2007, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The most important factor for foreigners is if you are from a english speaking country or not.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And if you're not, I've heard rumors that it's also passable to lie and say you're from Maryland. [Image: dry.gif]
^Ahahahahaha, I hear dat too Bo.
[url="http://sasasunakku.com"]Sasasunakku[/url]
A friend of mine used to teach English in Japan, and her roommate (who was also teaching English) was from Poland, and had a really thick Polish accent. I don't think they could tell the difference.
Naomi Angela u r very young so u r not expected to have a degree... 19.. !!

I think teaching Enlgish is the best choice... although I think that once you get to Japan you will ifnd a lot of things to do for pocket money.. (which is usually god money!)
Without a degree, it'd be hard to get a teaching job unless you start your own school. But since you are a Japanese passport holder, you can be a "freeter" (a part-timer) or work jobs that don't require degrees. There are a few shops/ restaurants/ bars/clubs in the Roppongi/ Azabu area that sometimes look for English speakers.
I'm not a real actor, but I play one on TV.
<!--quoteo(post=180324:date=May 7 2007, 03:41 AM:name=MsYumiBr)-->QUOTE(MsYumiBr @ May 7 2007, 03:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I've been here 5 months and am still unemployed, mostly because of circumstances and enjoying being a housewife for the first time in 19 years. Anyway, first, do you look like a young cowgirl who likes children? That's who they are looking for to teach the little kids. Sing nicely and be Disney friendly and you'll go far even without a degree. Me, having that old cowgirl look, can only get so far teaching English no matter how Disney friendly I am. I know they don't want accents either. True American is what they want. As far as regular jobs, they consider me fluent even though I can only communicate and argue in Japanese. Fluent in my mind is a completely different concept to them. I have my mother's accent and voice so my Japanese is so good they can close their eyes and get really shocked when they open them and see the words coming out of MY mouth. It's surreal. So, try the English route. If you look Japanese, that's okay too. I know one girl who is Filipina but has mastered the Disney group leader thing so well (you know, the kid group activity leaders that are very loud, have high voices and lots of energy, that she is very successful. She also has perfect English. Try it out. By the time you have to do something about your visa, you may get a sponsorship with one of the schools. If not, just leave and re-enter the country on another 3 month visa. At least you can say you tried.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->Thanks for the insight MsYumiBr
that's interesting... really. I know in a few lessons i'll have the Disney repertoire down...including that Colors of the Wind ...sung by Vanessa Williams. I'll have to ask my ex piano student's sister to put me in contact...
I think that people in Japan should really think more than twice about the Cowgirls. Makes me want to groan.
too bad it isn't WB songs! i like those a bit better... though... yeah... it takes time
Haha... i can't imagine trying to collect my loot in Japan. As if there aren't enough problems here in the States.
[color="#dddd00"][center][size="1"][/size] [/center][center][size="1"]"for Zen's belief in Sudden illumination, a fleeting glimpse of existence just as it really is."[/size][/center][/color]