Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Furo or resort-spa type in Calif?
Does anyone in California (southern or northern) know of any upscale hotels/resorts that offer in-room furo with natural hot springs? I just spent a week in Taiwan and I went to the most amazing place in the Wulai mountains. It was all Japanese style rooms and everything and each room had it's own private spa/tub (furo) with natural hot springs. It was phenomenal! I was hoping to find something similar here back home for a weekend getaway.

Any suggestions?
<!--quoteo(post=178302:date=Apr 23 2007, 11:41 AM:name=onecutehapa)-->QUOTE(onecutehapa @ Apr 23 2007, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Does anyone in California (southern or northern) know of any upscale hotels/resorts that offer in-room furo with natural hot springs? I just spent a week in Taiwan and I went to the most amazing place in the Wulai mountains. It was all Japanese style rooms and everything and each room had it's own private spa/tub (furo) with natural hot springs. It was phenomenal! I was hoping to find something similar here back home for a weekend getaway.

Any suggestions?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not quite SoCal, but close, at least the Avila one is. It's up by San Luis Obispo/Morro Bay. Here's a link to some in the state. Hope it helps. Esalen's a good one, been there, but a lonnng time ago. It's by Big Sur, up PCH.

http://www.totalescape.com/active/leisure/...pr/resorts.html
[color="#0000FF"]Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak....or in some cases, post.[/color]
<!--quoteo(post=178302:date=Apr 23 2007, 08:41 PM:name=onecutehapa)-->QUOTE(onecutehapa @ Apr 23 2007, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just spent a week in Taiwan and I went to the most amazing place in the Wulai mountains. It was all Japanese style rooms and everything and each room had it's own private spa/tub (furo) with natural hot springs. It was phenomenal!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
What are the Wulai mountains like? I haven't heard of this place before...
There's one in Santa Cruz called Wellspring or something like that. I wouldn't buy a plane ticket to go there. It's just a local thing. Don't go to the public spa thing there. I forgot the name. Unless you like being groped by strangers. There's a pricey spa in the San Diego area called Golden Door which is more what I think you are looking for. http://www.goldendoor.com/

I hope this helps!
<!--quoteo(post=178347:date=Apr 23 2007, 01:30 PM:name=miel)-->QUOTE(miel @ Apr 23 2007, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What are the Wulai mountains like? I haven't heard of this place before...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

@Miel- OMG, Wulai is amazing! Wulai is about an hour southest of Taipei. Here's some pics! (I guess I should really be posting this in one of the threads for pics, huh)?

The streets of Wulai (main shopping street)
[Image: Wulaistreets.jpg]

Waterfall at the top of the mountain
[Image: waterfall2.jpg]

Another view of the waterfall before you actually get up to the mountain
[Image: waterfall1.jpg]
[quote name='onecutehapa' date='Apr 23 2007, 07:44 PM' post='178397']
@Miel- Just a few more pics.. !!

View of the valley when you're up in the cable car
[Image: valley.jpg]

Our <i></i>furo<i></i> inside our suite
[Image: furo2.jpg]

Overlooking the river (from the restaurant at the resort we stayed at)
[Image: breakfast.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=178396:date=Apr 23 2007, 07:15 PM:name=MsYumiBr)-->QUOTE(MsYumiBr @ Apr 23 2007, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There's one in Santa Cruz called Wellspring or something like that. I wouldn't buy a plane ticket to go there. It's just a local thing. Don't go to the public spa thing there. I forgot the name. Unless you like being groped by strangers. There's a pricey spa in the San Diego area called Golden Door which is more what I think you are looking for. http://www.goldendoor.com/

I hope this helps!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

@ MsYumiBr - I'm definitely looking for something private- not a public bath house. And someplace where you can stay overnight and they have the furo in your room...

Thanks, I'll check out the link you gave me!
Wow, beautiful... And then this furo... [Image: inlove.gif]
This is an interesting subject because I was looking for a spa with a Japanese tub to go to. As far as the actual tub I had no luck. However, besides the week stay at the Golden Door which I could never afford, and the Well Within in Santa Cruz that I have actually been to, I found an interesting place called Osmosis in Napa, actually Freestone, California. It's a day spa too. I know you are looking for an overnight with a furo. There's always Paradise Point in San Diego. I've always wanted to go there but always end up getting my hair done at Jose Eber in Four Seasons Aviara in Carlsbad instead. The Four Seasons is an amazing hotel with a very cool spa. There's one more but I can't think of the name right now. It's where all the celebritys stay.
<!--quoteo(post=178442:date=Apr 24 2007, 04:25 AM:name=MsYumiBr)-->QUOTE(MsYumiBr @ Apr 24 2007, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This is an interesting subject because I was looking for a spa with a Japanese tub to go to. As far as the actual tub I had no luck. However, besides the week stay at the Golden Door which I could never afford, and the Well Within in Santa Cruz that I have actually been to, I found an interesting place called Osmosis in Napa, actually Freestone, California. It's a day spa too. I know you are looking for an overnight with a furo. There's always Paradise Point in San Diego. I've always wanted to go there but always end up getting my hair done at Jose Eber in Four Seasons Aviara in Carlsbad instead. The Four Seasons is an amazing hotel with a very cool spa. There's one more but I can't think of the name right now. It's where all the celebritys stay.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmmm... I'll look into your suggestions. You're right about the Golden Door- too expensive. And I was looking for somewhere to stay with my boyfriend. Most of the places I've found so far are "women's retreats" types of things. And I'm totally hooked on the whole ambience of the resort we stayed at in Wulai. I liked the Japanese style everything.. the room decor, the hallways, hotel lobby, everything! It was all so beautiful and relaxing, and and and and... comforting! Like I was in the womb... [Image: inlove.gif] (ok, maybe that's taking it a bit far..tee hee)!

As far as anything "fancier", well, I deal with celebrities all day [Image: yuk.gif] , so I'd prefer to go where they are NOT staying! haha! But what about Paradise Point in SD? Do you have a weblink?
<!--quoteo(post=178427:date=Apr 24 2007, 02:26 AM:name=miel)-->QUOTE(miel @ Apr 24 2007, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wow, beautiful... And then this furo... [Image: inlove.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

@Miel - OMG! The furo!!! [Image: inlove.gif] We left our room for dinner one night, and when we returned, they had lit candles throughout the room and put a pedestal full of fresh rose petals on the bath sill. It was all so amazing.. I get all woozy inside just remembering it all! I've stayed at many "fancy" hotels and five-star resorts (honestly, I think this one comes in at 3 stars or something), but this place BY FAR was the NICEST place I have ever stayed at! The staff and everything was beyond any service I have received anywhere. If you ever go to Taiwain, you MUST go here! It's pretty expensive, about $500/night for 2 people, but it includes breakfast AND dinner. And I think you can even get a deal where you also get massages included in the price. I'm not a high roller or anything, but this was TOTALLY worth it if you have a "special someone" you want to spend some romantic time with!

http://www.springparkhotel.com.tw/english/exit.html