Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finland
So I'm seriously thinking of finally getting around to visiting my mother's country at the end of this year for Christmas (OMG SANTA!!!). But I have a bunch of questions that I'm hoping you Finns could answer!

What the hell do I wear? I realise it gets cold but being from Australia I don't think I get the extent of the coldness. I've been to Japan so I've experienced their winter but it's still warmer than Finland. Do you have to wear thermal underwear? And like fur lined boots? Fur lined underwear?

Is it really expensive? My mother's brother said that Finland is increasingly getting expensive T_T i hate the exchange rates right now, it's going to eat all my moomin product spending money!

Oh yeah, how much is a box of Fazer chocolates? I'm gonna buy like a mountain of those they are so damn delicious [Image: drool.gif]

Anyone visited the Santa Village? Is Santa awesome? XD

I read in a book that Finns are really nuts about coffee and will always offer you coffee when you go to their house and you HAVE to accept cos otherwise they get offended...is that true? I can't drink coffee so what do I do if it's true! I don't want to seem rude...

Thankyou!
I'm not from Finland, but I think they have similar weather to Sweden. If you're there during winter, I would definitely suggest you bring some warm clothes. About thermal underwear, depends if you're planning to be outside hours at a time, if so then probably yes.
Where and when are you going to Finland?

The warmest summer months are these days July, August and early September. About 15 - 28 celcius. It gets a little cooler nighttime naturally. The coldest months are December, January and February. The fact is, the climate is so screwed up that it can be +5 one day, and be -20 the next morning. During all the other months - I think the temperature fluctuiates between about 0 and 20. Can be lots of rain, or a lot worse, snowslush. Thermal underwear and furlined boots? You think Finland's some theme park? [Image: laughlong.gif] I surely did wear long underwear if it was -20 outside, but depends a lot on what you want to do doesn't it? If you lead an urban lifestyle and spend most of your time indoors, you certainly don't have to be dressed in the same way as if you were going to spend 5 hours outdoors with long periods without motion. Oh yes, the climate I just (deficiently) described applies to Helsinki and coastal areas. Inland, even only 50 miles from the coast, the climate will be quite a bit more continental with stabler winters. Not to speak of Lappland.

As for costs, Helsinki is as far as I've gotten the picture a great deal more expensive than Australia's biggest cities Melbourne and Sydney. Hmm... a Big Mac meal was about 5,60 euros last September before I left. Hmm.. what else for comparison, a single 0.33 litre bottle of beer will cost a euro in a supermarket. A Fazer box of chocolates at the airport was between 4-5 euros if I remember correctly. It'll be a bit more expensive in a regular place I would assume. Outside of the capital region housing is a lot cheaper, only a fraction of what it is in Helsinki at places, but other food, drink, electricity (and other necessities for modern life) are quite similar.

About the coffee, it is true that Finns drink a lot of coffee, which most of the time unfortunately is acidic, sour causes heartburn. And about all these legens about peoples, I take them at least with reservations, because actual situations require commonsense more often than alleged facts about peoples. So if you don't drink coffee, just say no thanks, and they'll offer you tea instead, and no need to apologize or feel exposed for not drinking coffee.

Right, hopefully some of your questions got answered here. I'll be off to the country for a couple of weeks from tomorrow onwards myself. And feel free to ask more, I enjoy this position of supposedly knowing something about Finland. [Image: laughlong.gif]
Ooo thanks Asao!

I intend to go probably the whole of December and will mostly be in the Helsinki area although I really want to go to Rovaniemi which I assume will be much colder. I want to go to Lordi's restaurant [Image: biggrin.gif] and Santa's village hehe

So I suppose thermal underwear isn't a real must then? I suppose I'll take some though cos I want to try skiing and ice skating. But I suppose most of my activities will be indoors with only some walking around just to get from place to place.
[Image: Katalog_Finnland_Web0001.jpg]
Man, I feel so special to be a Finn. Pamela came to Finland today!. [Image: dry.gif] It's about 10 years from the last Baywatch episode. Everything seems to be here a bit late. Like Genesis had a concert in the beginning of this month.
Good boys goes to Heaven.

Bad boys goes to Lapland.
One of the two countries I would die for. (note. I'm half Finn).
The winter in Finland is overrated. In temperature measurements, Japan is way warmer. But keep in mind that there's a difference in climate.

Recommendation: underwear, warm t-shirt, warm sweater, jacket. There.
<!--quoteo(post=186603:date=Jun 22 2007, 03:16 AM:name=satoru)-->QUOTE(satoru @ Jun 22 2007, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->One of the two countries I would die for. (note. I'm half Finn).
The winter in Finland is overrated. In temperature measurements, Japan is way warmer. But keep in mind that there's a difference in climate.

Recommendation: underwear, warm t-shirt, warm sweater, jacket. There.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What do you mean the winter in Finland is overrated (I'm not offended)?

As you said, in temperature Finland is way colder, winter in Helsinki is still a bit colder on average than winter in Sapporo, and anything from Tokyo southwards is considerably to much milder than any part of Finland ever is throughout the winter months, but the heating of homes is at a quite different level. The only time I was in Japan near Tokyo during March/April the weather was something like what it would be 2 months later in Helsinki. For many not so travelled Finns, most of Japan would qualify as "eternal summer".
Hehe.
From my experience winter in Finland is COLD.
Winter in Japan isn't exactly warm either. There's something about the winters in Scandinavia that is so different from the winters here in Japan. And I must say I prefer the winters in Scandinavia.
The winter in Japan sort of finds it's way into everything! And yeah the heating in Scandinavia is nice too.
<!--quoteo(post=186641:date=Jun 23 2007, 12:55 AM:name=satoru)-->QUOTE(satoru @ Jun 23 2007, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hehe.
From my experience winter in Finland is COLD.
Winter in Japan isn't exactly warm either. There's something about the winters in Scandinavia that is so different from the winters here in Japan. And I must say I prefer the winters in Scandinavia.
The winter in Japan sort of finds it's way into everything! And yeah the heating in Scandinavia is nice too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sick of winters in Scandinavia, or lets rather say coastal areas in the Nordic countries, hence I left.

I think the winters in Japan feel really cold because of the absence of central heating. + 15 C in Japan feels through and through much colder than + 15 C in Europe.
After being abroad couple of weeks it's nice to come back to Finland and see that everything is still as it was when I left. No big scandals, no forest fires no nothing. In fact in today's evening news there was an article (http://www.iltasanomat.fi/uutiset/kotima...id=1448489) about horny reindeer attacking a car in Northern Finland. I guess that didn't go into international news? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Got to take it back. There's been an shooting incident in a Finnish school today! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]

Yeah man horrible news.
Why can't our beautiful country stay free from that kind of shit [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]