Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nihonde nanisurebaii???
こんにちは

The last time I went to Japan was 7 years ago and every time I've been so far, its been with my mum so its always been about visiting tokyo, visiting department stores, odango tabetari, asakusade omamori o kattari... Ive never experienced all the fun stuff you can do while in your mid 20's in Japan, without my mum!!!

Im going to Japan for 3 weeks in from Dec 21 - Jan 14th.... can anyone recommend any thing I should go and see or do?
I'm planning on going to Akihabara to buy gadgets! and find lots of places for shopping and then eat sukiyaki! Ill be arriving in Utsunomiya for a few days, then going to Saitama for a bit, then the world (or Japan rather) is my oyster!!

Please tell me fun/unusual/oishii things to do!!

宜しく!!
サンキュウ!!
Get a Time Out guide to Tokyo. And then get thee to an offkai.
I would also recommend getting a short history of Japan to read before - it will inspire you to go and dig out nooks and crannies that wouldn't necessarily have occurred to you before.
Will check out the time out guide and do a bit of research on Japan!
Thank you Hanako!

What's an offkai?
offkai = off line meeting! If you are in Tokyo in December this drunken crew from Halvsie are sure to be partying in town.
Ahh Thanks!

Will keep an eye out! Would be cool to meet those in Tokyo!! [Image: laugh.gif]
Hi Steph!

Long time no see!! How have things been?

Glad to hear that you're coming to Japan! As Hanako, we usually have a few get tegethers during the winter, so defenately stop by and join if you can!

As for what esle to Japan, depends on what you are into. Winter is great time for Onsens (hot springs) and traveling. Might what to invest in a rail pass if you plan to travel a lot. And Tokyo is defenately the place to be!
I'm not a real actor, but I play one on TV.
Hi MiraiZ!

Nice to see you!
Im good thanks, hope you are ok?

I have no idea what I want to do in Japan! My experience of japan is visiting yokkado and going to the okujyou to play, eating lots and going shopping/sight seeing with my mum/family........ and thats about it!
I want to discover what Japan's like as a grown up and an independant now!!

My first mission is to raid Akihabara and find lots of gadgets that I can't find in England! (sad i know, but unlike most girls, i like unusual gadgets/new technology/computers/games! :-) )
And I'll probably visit a few onsens, Kyoto, and a few other cultural places... but i think im gonna be lost at deciding what to do!! especially since i dont really know what to do!

Ive had a look at rail passes but my family live in Saitama and the rail passes dont cover that area apparently... and as i have no plans, i think im just gonna buy tickets as i go along..

Looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys in Tokyo! [Image: laugh.gif]
Are you going to Japan by yourself?
Nez,

Yes, I am going alone. although my mum is going a week after me, but she will be at my families house the whole time,
Im meeting my boyfriend for a few days first, but then he'll have to work so ill go to my familys place and explore japan by myself until my boyf gets holiday again!!
ive been here in Tokyo nearly 3 months now, and i feel like i haven't really seen/done anything. other than dirty izakayas/clubs/bars, that is. i haven't even gone to Yokohama or Kamakura or Odaiba. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]

im planning to go back to Fukuoka where my mum's fam lives during August, and probably Okinawa with them sometime then. probably do the usual ryokan stay somewhere in Kyushu then as well. my bf's coming to visit in September so i think ill visit my birthtown Kyoto and perhaps Osaka with him then.

thing is, all these places ive mentioned (other than Okinawa) i've been to before. anyone have any recommendations? id really like to see the Sapporo snow festival (?). haven't been to Hokkaido before.
[center]captured in this light

beauty will survive[/center]
I recommend Atami in Shizuoka. It's close to Tokyo and the onsens are fantabulous.

Also, I enjoyed Kanazawa in Ishikawa.
In Kyushu, are you going to check out Nagasaki too?
<!--quoteo(post=186798:date=Jun 25 2007, 08:09 AM:name=Marisuke)-->QUOTE(Marisuke @ Jun 25 2007, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I recommend Atami in Shizuoka. It's close to Tokyo and the onsens are fantabulous.

Also, I enjoyed Kanazawa in Ishikawa.
In Kyushu, are you going to check out Nagasaki too?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ooooh, thanks Mari-chan. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] i wanna take bf to an onsen, but am still not sure if we'll go down to Kyushu, so thanks for that! havent been to Shizuoka, so perhaps we'll go there instead.

i went to Nagasaki last time i was in Japan, to accompany my mother and aunt to an Imai Miki concert. haha. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blush21.gif[/img]

Go to Nikko too!
does anyone have any suggestions for nice ryokans in Kyoto and Hakone? i am trying to plan Sept with the BF at the moment and am overwhelmed with unknown choices. i am also considering Mari-chan's suggestion of Atami.

Help would be much appreciated! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Karuizawa is nice little town to visit this time of year...Its near Nagano so the Nagano Shinkansen will take you there (I think)
I'm not a real actor, but I play one on TV.
oh...

Kusatsu is a superb onsen town... not veery far away from TOkyo.. wil get u details... cause I was driven there so I dont remember even the Prefecrture [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blush21.gif[/img]

As Marikochan said, NIKKO is fabulous.. and not only the Tokugawa castle/Temple... the whole surrounding area is mystical...

In TOkoy I love going to HamaRikyu Garden.. so traquil.. right next to Shiodome...

And in Shinagawa at the Senkakuji Temple.... nice story nice temple nice little museum.. a lot of mosquitos in the summer [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Aya-chan... When and if I come I hope u ll have time so that we could wonder around parts of Tokyo as "tourists" together...? maybe?
THANK-YOU MIRAI AND MARIETTA!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/inlove.gif[/img]

i will now google these places-- man, its so hard to plan when you're not sure if the places are worth checking out...and also because its his first time in Japan..want him to love it and think Japan is beautiful and wonderful! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

and Marietta, FOR SURE!! definately, lets yo! looking forward to it, matteru yo. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/w00t.gif[/img]

I will third the motion to go to Nikko. My company's factory is up there, so if a visiting customer finishes early, we'll take them to see the temple there... Did you know that the Nikko To-sho-gu is where the "See no evil, Hear no ...etc" monkies originated? Apparently, their debut was on one of the walls there. There are also plenty of Onsen in the area - Kinugawa is probably the most famous, and they're all about 30 - 40 minutes from Utsunomiya!

In Tokyo, I'd say Odaiba is the "happening" place right now. There's even a small amusement park, and plenty of fun places inside the shopping malls there. There are a lot of "theme" attractions as well... Like the Beatles' "Yellow Submarine" ride, a Coca Cola soda fountain that sells all kinds of Coke brand goods, and of course, a number of fun shops.

Atami is nice "relaxed" atmosphere sort of town, so it's nice to hang out there. Check out some websites for the onsens down there, there may be some that the boyfriend and you can share the same bath.

I'm sure that Steph-chan can enjoy the onsens - being here in mid-winter.
For Aya-chan who is here in the heat... Okinawa is probably one of the best places to go. The beaches there are probably the prettiest in Japan. The Sapporo snow festival is in early February, so Steph-chan will most likely miss that...

Nagasaki is one of my favorite cities in Japan if only for the beauty. Not that I'd want to LIVE there, but it's really nice to visit. Hiroshima is also a beautiful city, and I did live there for a number of years - many years ago... On the way back to Tokyo, stop by Himeji Castle which is beautiful. You can see it from the Shinkansen in front of Himeji Station, so you can't miss it. Kobe - Port Island I hear is kind of like what Odaiba was designed after... Osaka, if you're into comedy, the have stand-up at Nanba and Umeda "Kagetsu" theaters, and comedy skits featuring Yoshimoto-ko-gyo comedians.
Nagoya castle is beautiful and the food is ... for lack of a better term... "different" in Nagoya. Very tasty, but different.
I'm just an ordinary average guy (Joe Walsh)
ok so Nikko's a must-go then.

thanks for the suggestions Fatguy! i AM going to Okinawa actually, at the end of the month-- though not with the bf unfortunately. am very much looking forward to it!

havent been to Odaiba yet either, so will probably go there too. as for Atami, would you have any suggestions for places to stay? ive been doing some web searching, but its always nice to have a thumbsup from someone.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Nagasaki is great too yo ne. dunno if we'll be visiting Kyushu though, seeing as Im spending the month here already. definately wanna check out Hokkaido in the winter too.