Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you overcompensate for one half or another?
Have you ever come across haafu ( or indeed other people from a mixed background) who tend to overcompensate for one half or the other? i.e. insist on being really Japanese when they can't speak the language or being really patriotic towards one of their halves, sometimes to the point of bad-mouthing their other haf.
Oh God - YES!
I'll go on my soapbox so I'll refrain from commenting further. [Image: tongue.gif]
No, no, soap box is good! Why else have a whole forum for half japanese?
<!--quoteo(post=147953:date=Apr 27 2006, 11:59 AM:name=Hanako)-->QUOTE(Hanako @ Apr 27 2006, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->No, no, soap box is good! Why else have a whole forum for half japanese?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okay. For starters, I cannot stand half-Japanese who have only gone to Japan for vacation and say things like "it's so much better living in Japan than here." I also get suspicious of half-Japanese who are from abroad and only listen to Japanese music.
I know plenty of people of Japanese and non-Japanese heritage alike who get almost militant about their love of Japan despite rarely or never having been there, barely speaking Japanese, and so on. I more or less have them lumped together in my mind as Japanese wannabes, and as far as I'm concerned, even having some blood connection to Japan doesn't make them any less ridiculous.
"Drink wine, and you will sleep well. Sleep, and you will not sin. Avoid sin, and you will be saved. Ergo, drink wine and be saved." -- Medieval German saying
So is it an attitude thing? Because I've only been to Japan once when I was three years old, can't speak the language, have attempted to listen to Japanese music (can't find any I like) and feel sentimental about Japan. I'd meet all the "wannabe" criteria. But I'm quite aware of my limitations and I don't consider myself to be a wannabe. And I wouldn't consider anyone who has Japanese ethnicity a wannabe, either. However, if someone met all this criteria and began acting like an ethnicity fanboy/girl, like they know it but have never experienced it, then I can see where some criticism would lie.
"Soccer is crystal meth. It's very addictive, but really messes up your teeth. I guess I've never viewed soccer as some sort of controlled substance. To me, it's probably more like Nutella. The rest of the world clearly loves it and puts it on almost everything, but here in America we're like, "I don't know, man, it tastes like almonds." -- Jon Stewart
-
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen it many times. Maybe not so often in a haffu, but in other people of mixed race that I've known over the years.
I don't think that I have, except maybe since joining halvsie. It seems that since I've joined I'm getting more in tune with the Japanese side of my heritage...actually maybe not so much overcompensating, but being more aware and vocal about my Japanese side. Does that make any sense?

And no offense taken, Zashikibuta, but I would imagine that's why this is called a forum, to ask questions and have others answer with their experiences, etc. whether you agree with them or care or whatever.
[color="#0000FF"]Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak....or in some cases, post.[/color]
I don't think it's entirely wrong, but that's just my personal point of view.

I don't speak Japanese, but I do feel half Japanese, and have a strong connection with Japan, and yes, I've never actually lived in Japan. I listen to some Japanese music, watch lots of Japanese movies and like Japanese celebrities. Is this overcompensating for my Japanese side? I don't think so.

I think it's ok and actually normal. I grew up in Peru but my parents raised us in a way that we find Japanese and Peruvian stuff equally familiar. I feel love for this country as I feel love for Japan.

On the other hand, Hanako, that example you gave <i>being really patriotic towards one of their halves, sometimes to the point of bad-mouthing their other haf.</i> that I do find ridiculous.
<!--quoteo(post=147954:date=Apr 27 2006, 06:05 AM:name=gaijin)-->QUOTE(gaijin @ Apr 27 2006, 06:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->muahaha.... yeah...

you know why i laugh desho. nothing personal, yoshinori, but this one goes for you, babe (it just feels so natural to add a 'babe' here, still nothing personal, i'm just so non-fluent in english, as you know)... but don't worry, i don't take it as serious as you were [Image: wink2.gif] take it easy, man. PEACE OUT! (<<<< ------ selma blair, cruel intentions)
[Image: smile.gif]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[Image: rofl.gif] ukeru. (i luv the way u write gaijin san. haha)

sou dane, he is a pretty good example. he gets on my nerves [Image: hearts.gif]

<!--quoteo(post=148015:date=Apr 27 2006, 07:37 PM:name=Tink369)-->QUOTE(Tink369 @ Apr 27 2006, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't think it's entirely wrong, but that's just my personal point of view.

I don't speak Japanese, but I do feel half Japanese, and have a strong connection with Japan, and yes, I've never actually lived in Japan. I listen to some Japanese music, watch lots of Japanese movies and like Japanese celebrities. Is this overcompensating for my Japanese side? I don't think so.

I think it's ok and actually normal. I grew up in Peru but my parents raised us in a way that we find Japanese and Peruvian stuff equally familiar. I feel love for this country as I feel love for Japan.

On the other hand, Hanako, that example you gave <i>being really patriotic towards one of their halves, sometimes to the point of bad-mouthing their other haf.</i> that I do find ridiculous.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

awww honey, i'm like that with my Arab side. i feel really Arab even though I dont speak a word of Arabic! i dont think its overcompensating either...however in the middle east, having an arab father is a good enough reason to even consider you as fully arab! in Japan, the case is alittle different
I'm only here for this moment

Jeff Buckley - Everybody here wants you lyrics
Although ethnically I'm not ... bla bla bla (everybody around here knows the story by now) - I have gone through stages where I've been totally (over-)protective of Japan (after moving away from Japan) and whenever I heard someone say something critical (not in a rude way, but just questioning something), I totally went over the top with defensiveness. So in a sense I did see the grass being greener there. Only after having moved to Japan again as a grown-up have I gained a more "balanced" view/impression. I just needed to find my identity first and only then could I chill.

And sorry to bring you up again, yoshinori, but I can understand your comments around the forum to some extent, reviewing my behaviour a few years ago. There's some Japanese in you but you don't seem to have had much contact to this side and are trying to find out who the Japanese bit of you is. Obviously that doesn't excuse a certain offensive behaviour towards others. Ofcourse, feel free to counter my view.
I do badmouth my "other half", but it's not about my family or the way I grew up, on the contrary, I'm very proud of my German mother and the way we were raised, but I just don't like the country and the mentality of a lot of Germans.

But maybe I'm an example [Image: ph34r.gif] *waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa*

Well, my Japanese sucks, but I prefer non-japanese movies, I listen to some Japanese music, but am not overly crazy about it, I don't think I'm too patriotic about any of my two countries anyway. For me it's more about where I feel more comfortable, I think.
魂の獄に封じられしモノたちが解き放たれた!
<!--quoteo(post=147931:date=Apr 27 2006, 06:42 AM:name=Hanako)-->QUOTE(Hanako @ Apr 27 2006, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Have you ever come across haafu ( or indeed other people from a mixed background) who tend to overcompensate for one half or the other? i.e. insist on being really Japanese when they can't speak the language or being really patriotic towards one of their halves, sometimes to the point of bad-mouthing their other haf.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is the first place Ive ever seen that kind of behavior, it was one of the main reasons I lurked since last year before joining. It was disconcerting to see people badmouthing the country they were born/lived in for a country they only had ancestral or familial ties to [Image: rolleyes.gif]
I have never ever felt the urge to become "Japanese" in my years of existance, my self identity is as an American that has Japan among my various ancestries. Pride in ones ancestry does not necessarily mean acceptance of that country's actions now or in the past.
I love my relatives in Japan but realize they live in a foreign country and culture, not one I would ever fit into. I am happy that I live in the country where I do. And I am happy they are in the country they want to live in [Image: smile.gif]
Seems silly to get in to a squabble so deleted.
<!--quoteo(post=147957:date=Apr 27 2006, 06:28 PM:name=Marisuke)-->QUOTE(Marisuke @ Apr 27 2006, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Okay. For starters, I cannot stand half-Japanese who have only gone to Japan for vacation and say things like "it's so much better living in Japan than here." I also get suspicious of half-Japanese who are from abroad and only listen to Japanese music.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The nerve of some people, listening to japanese music without having lived there..
i think marisuke said pretty clear "ONLY listen to Japanese music". I think everyone has to admit that it's kind of weird if one only listens to J-Pop and no other music even though they haven't lived in Japan.
魂の獄に封じられしモノたちが解き放たれた!
<!--quoteo(post=148122:date=Apr 28 2006, 01:22 PM:name=Tadashi)-->QUOTE(Tadashi @ Apr 28 2006, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The nerve of some people, listening to japanese music without having lived there..<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please read my comments carefully before adding a sarcastic remark. [Image: rolleyes.gif]
I stand by what I said.
<!--quoteo(post=148122:date=Apr 28 2006, 07:22 PM:name=Tadashi)-->QUOTE(Tadashi @ Apr 28 2006, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The nerve of some people, listening to japanese music without having lived there..<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL yeah.
The Force is Strong with Me Always.
from now on, we should all just refer to replies to posts instead of original posts. that's really effective.
魂の獄に封じられしモノたちが解き放たれた!
<!--quoteo(post=148127:date=Apr 28 2006, 07:43 PM:name=Marisuke)-->QUOTE(Marisuke @ Apr 28 2006, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Please read my comments carefully before adding a sarcastic remark. [Image: rolleyes.gif]
I stand by what I said.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did read your comment and I do realize you wrote only japanese music. I just thought your comment came off as slighty elitistic. So I made a sarcastic remark, pardon me miss, won't happen again.

<!--quoteo(post=148124:date=Apr 28 2006, 07:29 PM:name=Yuriko)-->QUOTE(Yuriko @ Apr 28 2006, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i think marisuke said pretty clear "ONLY listen to Japanese music". I think everyone has to admit that it's kind of weird if one only listens to J-Pop and no other music even though they haven't lived in Japan.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes I might think it would seem unusual. But then again there's lots of kids here in Sweden that only listens to american music, but since they are in majority, nobody calls them american wannabes..