Poll: What do you think about your clearly Japanese sounding first name?
I don't mind I try to make them pronounce it right.
I use a pronounceable middle name instead.
Something else.
I don't have a clearly Japanese sounding first name.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having a clearly Japanese sounding first name
My first name sounds clearly Japanese, I don't want to write it here. In the Netherlands I can abbreviate it so that it's like a Dutch name. I know most people can't pronounce my name here so I introduce myself with the abbreviated version of my first name. In English speaking countries they can't pronounce the abbreviated version which means I would probably have to switch to using my second name which is a classic western name.

To everyone with a first name that clearly sounds Japanese and therefore cannot be dual used and no abbreviation, what do you think about that? Is it a big problem? Do you use a middle name instead or something else?
The Force is Strong with Me Always.
All of my comments on Japanese names, pronunciation etc have been covered in the Do you have a Japanese name? thread.
Slightly off topic maybe.

I don't have a Japanese name and sometimes it gets a litle complicated because say if I want to buy a mobile phone or go to the bank and I write my registration or some form, I can't remember if I wrote my last name first or my first name first. Or in roman letters instead of katakana and the order of how I wrote my name. Rather confusing.
My name can be shortened to Mari which becomes a Spanish name.
The way I see it, it's YOUR name so why should you have to change it?

I don't like my first, middle or lastname, but what can you do?
i have a japanese name too. it can easely be pronaunced in german. so i have no problems, and when it comes to english speakers... fuck them [Image: biggrin.gif]

no, i already translated the name everybody calls me to q-she. if a english speaker pronaunce it in his english, he nearly gets my real name. some think the q is a g and has something to do with the womans g point. but hey, no ,it has nothing in common. and she from q-she is like "shi". so it is a bit confusing but the point is i write my name simply like it should sound in each language.
Kiyoshi?
[Image: hmmm.gif] I thought of "Kushi", but surely that can't be right...
Koichi?
People here have more problems pronouncing my Italian name than my japanese name.

I think you should just insist on others to pronounce your name correctly.
Kiichi? [Image: eh.gif] that's my brother's name...
[center]captured in this light

beauty will survive[/center]
<!--quoteo(post=146267:date=Apr 11 2006, 10:46 AM:name=Davide)-->QUOTE(Davide @ Apr 11 2006, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People here have more problems pronouncing my Italian name than my japanese name.

I think you should just insist on others to pronounce your name correctly.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I used to call u D-e-i-v-i-d.... [Image: blush21.gif]
oh, cool. trying to figure out my real name has become a game. ok: my name is kushi and you pronaunce it german or japanese.
You know Kushisan I think you look mostly Japanese not much western.
The Force is Strong with Me Always.
maybe. i do not really know, but i act very western. but ok on this pic. my most western feature is that i have a white skin normally.
<!--quoteo(post=146295:date=Apr 11 2006, 04:10 AM:name=q-she)-->QUOTE(q-she @ Apr 11 2006, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->oh, cool. trying to figure out my real name has become a game. ok: my name is kushi and you pronaunce it german or japanese.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

do I win anything?! [Image: w00t.gif]
yea swiss miss. you won a date with me in austria. i will cook something for you.
Most people think Emi is german [Image: sleep.gif]
[center][Image: Captured%20Videos2-1.jpg]

[color="#8B0000"][size="3"]http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/[/size][/color][/center]
<!--quoteo(post=146267:date=Apr 11 2006, 10:46 AM:name=Davide)-->QUOTE(Davide @ Apr 11 2006, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People here have more problems pronouncing my Italian name than my japanese name.

I think you should just insist on others to pronounce your name correctly.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ah well, that's just a consequence of living in Britain. The British do get a bit stumped once your name gets a bit more exotic than Fred or Harry.
I wish I had your presence to insist that people pronounce my name properly. I've settled for the 'ko' bit of my name to be pronounced as the 'Co' in 'White & Co' and for there to be more of an emphasis upon the first syllable.
Virtually all of my Jewish friends thought my name was Hanukkah when they first met me.
<!--quoteo(post=146267:date=Apr 11 2006, 02:46 AM:name=Davide)-->QUOTE(Davide @ Apr 11 2006, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People here have more problems pronouncing my Italian name than my japanese name.

This is an interesting opinion. I'm sure that due to our multi-cultural backgrounds, we're all a bit more sensitive than your average person to wanting our names pronounced correctly. You can try to teach people, but is it fair to admonish someone who's never had to deal with issues of more than a singular culture? We may criticize the British and Americans for their narrowness, but I don't think any of us hold the Japanese to the same standard. We write our names in katakana or use Japanese alternatives instead. Granted, the landscape of western nations is much more diverse than Japan, but if you're not confronted by another's sensitivity everyday, you simply aren't going to be that aware of it.

<!--quoteo(post=148176:date=Apr 28 2006, 03:45 PM:name=Hanako)-->QUOTE(Hanako @ Apr 28 2006, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Ah well, that's just a consequence of living in Britain. The British do get a bit stumped once your name gets a bit more exotic than Fred or Harry.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You left out William. [Image: rolleyes.gif]
"Drink wine, and you will sleep well. Sleep, and you will not sin. Avoid sin, and you will be saved. Ergo, drink wine and be saved." -- Medieval German saying
Sayuri, Sayuri. I think it's easy to pronounce in English and definitely very easy in Spanish, but some people still get it wrong. [Image: dry.gif]