Labour wins election
So

Tony won another term...

Any thoughts.

Davide sent me a link to a really good website. I had to

reconsider where I stand. [Image: hmm.gif] [Image: hmm.gif]
Make every moment count!
Everyone

knew that Blair was going to win again. But he did not win with an overwhelming majority as with the previous

two elections. Clearly the British people do not trust him as much especially after his decision to go to war

with Iraq.

I am glad to see that the support for the Lib Dem party is growing. Hopefully it will

overtake the Conservatives to become the main opposition party (although unlikely).

I wish I was allowed

to vote for this election.
I wonder

which is better: the parlimentary or presidential system of government?
I'm not a real actor, but I play one on TV.
my

constituency had a slight swing to lib dem (no conservative gain) but it wasn't enough to get labour to

lose.
another primeminister I didn't vote for.
I'm

glad Tony Blair won. He's a swell guy. [Image: satisfied.gif]
I am

very disapointed with Blair and UK. Every country who supports the war in Iraq.
Every

leader that acts as Bush's b*** a la war on Iraq annoys me.

It;s funny. I am taking Summer School and

we have to post on this messege board for marks so there was a discussion about Blaire and his fate. As

Canadians, the general consensus was that he was going to lose. What do we know, yeah? [Image: laugh.gif]
This

parliamentary democracy bears examining....

The Labour (right of centre party) has won, even though they

lost 90 seats. They have a majority of 70 seats out of the 646 Parliamentary Seats.....

All well and

good, until you consider that the we operate under a first past the post system.
ie. If you had ten

candidates for a seat, where 9 received 9.9% of the vote and candidate X recieved 11% of the votes.....

Candidate X wins....

The Labour Party won 36% of the popular vote..... so are we a

democracy?

I'm for Proportional Representation.

I think you find find that most Brits

weren't impressed by the war. We certainly dodn't want, were conned into thinking that there was

intelligence that we were under threat.
As we all know now.... Blair conned us.... no WMD, no credible 45

minute threat to UK, no connection to Al Qaeda.

In fact Saddam wasn't keen on terrorists, he is

believed to have had the terrorist leader of the Abu Nidal Organisation executed in Baghdad.
<a

href='http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/08/19/mideast.nidal/'

target='_blank'>http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast...ast.nidal/</a>
I voted

Conservative. I've been in a depressed black hole for the past two days. I am so furious with Michael Howard

having resigned: it means that the Conservative party is going to be in the throes of a divisive leadership

campaign all summer when it should be focusing on providing a credible opposition that really stands up to

President Blair.

( Please excuse rant - I'll calm down by the Queen's Speech)

As for

proportional representation...well I'm not a fan of huge PR. It often turns out that parties can never have

an outright majority. Coalition governments are fine in wartime, but in peacetime they can often be riven apart

by infighting. The politicians spend so muh time trying to create a consensus amongst themselves that they

forget to do any governing. There have been papers on some other alternative voting systems e.g. alternative

vote plus ( where you vote for a local MP and you have a national vote and the extra seats get re-distributed

...or something) but most of these schemes are fairly tough for the average elector to understand. It's

enough of a struggle getting people to turn out and vote as it is. Whereas in the 1950s there were voter

turnouts of 80% or so, the turnout for this election was a measley 61.5%. It's really depressing. Maybe

Britain should adopt the Australian system of fining people for not voting.
So 36% of the 61.5% voted Blair into power.... that's not particularly comforting to think that 22% of the

electorate voted Blair.

What a great system... please shoot me......

If there was a coalition

government, we wouldn't have gone to war.
And that been so, GW would have been less likely to have gone

to Iraq, especially after his sidekick's cheerleading routine, drumming up support in Europe &

beyond....

We'll never know re: PR. Hasn't been tried here, apart from EU elections.
<!--QuoteBegin-MiraiZ+May 6 2005, 08:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MiraiZ @ May 6 2005, 08:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I wonder which is better: the parlimentary or presidential system of government?

[/quote]
I don't think it matters

much, both gov'ts suck. [Image: wink2.gif] But personally I don't have

any dislike of Tony Blair, even though he does seem to be too much a "yes man" to the U.S.
"I fought Sugar Ray (Robinson) so many times, it's a wonder I don't have diabetes" -- Jake LaMotta

[Image: bybyetn.jpg]
"Yes man" is that prison slang for biiiitch?

[Image: yuk.gif]
i

voted mrlp because of environmental reasons. they promise to paint half the population of grey squirrels red in

order to increase the red squirrel population
<a

href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/vote_2005/frontpage/4526435.stm' target='_blank'>Labour

MPs call on Blair to quit </a>

oooh, sounds like a coup [Image: ph34r.gif]

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center'

width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Tony Blair has been urged to quit as prime minister early into his third term,

days after Labour's election win.
Despite securing an historic third victory, the government's

Commons majority was slashed from 161 to 67.

Several Labour MPs have described Mr Blair as a

"liability", among them ex-Foreign Secretary Robin Cook.

However, senior party figures

including David Blunkett and Peter Hain have rallied in support of Mr Blair, urging MPs to "get

behind" their leader.

Downing Street has said there is "no change" from Mr Blair's

statement last year that he would serve a full third term.

Some MPs have suggested the prime minister

should step down within a year to 18 months, with Chancellor Gordon Brown tipped as successor.

Mr Cook,

who resigned from the Cabinet in protest at the Iraq war, told BBC1's Politics Show that Labour had won this

election despite rather than because of Mr Blair.

The prime minister should be respected for having

delivered two landslide election wins, he said, but it was now time for him to consider his future.

"The question Tony Blair should be reflecting on this weekend is having achieved this, having

secured his place in the history of the Labour Party and the history of Britain, whether now might be a better

time to let a new leader in who could then achieve the unity we need if we are going to go forward," he

said.

'Negative factor'

Frank Dobson, who served as health secretary in Mr Blair's

first Cabinet, told GMTV's Sunday programme the prime minister had been an "enormous liability" in

this poll.

"I don't think we can go into important local elections next year... with Tony Blair

as leader and expect to keep many of the councillors we've got now," he said.

John Austin, MP

for Erith and Thamesmead, told The Sunday Times: "You can't beat about the bush. Blair was a negative

factor on the doorstep, time and time and time again."

Jeremy Corbyn, MP for Islington North and a

fierce critic of the Iraq war, predicted Mr Blair could be out of Downing Street within a year.

He told

Channel 4's Morgan and Platell Programme: "I think he might well decide that the end of the G8

presidency (at the end of 2005) is the time to go. I don't think he would want to go in the middle of

it."

Desmond Turner, the Brighton Kemptown MP, said: "It would be nice to see Brown crowned as

early as the next party conference."

However ex-Labour minister and government critic Frank Field

warned "gang warfare" between Blairite and Brownite factions could lead some MPs to look elsewhere for

leadership contenders.

He dismissed Mr Blair's reshuffle as "like a Cabinet for Toy Town"

and lacking "substantial" figures apart from Mr Blunkett.

Mr Field said: "He [Mr Blair]

is clearly the best we've ever had at winning elections. The trouble with that of course is what we do after

we've won an election."

Mr Blunkett, the new Work and Pensions Secretary, told the BBC's

Breakfast with Frost the Iraq war had been a "major factor" in eroding confidence in the prime

minister, but people had to move on.

"We now - all of us - have to build that confidence behind our

prime minister who, after all, not only got a historic third term but got the kind of majority in that third

term that we expected in 1997."

Mr Blunkett urged MPs to back the manifesto on which they were

elected and "get stuck in... and deliver to the British people".

Otherwise, he said, they were

being "as self-indulgent as the better-off who voted Lib Dem".
Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell also

defended the prime minister, saying "serving a full term doesn't mean leaving office after a year or

two".

The new Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Hain said the idea the public would welcome Mr

Blair's immediate replacement as leader was "fantasy".

Mr Blair's ex-communications

director Alastair Campbell said people underestimated the prime minister's achievement in securing a third

election victory.

The Observer reports that within Mr Blair's own private circle the timetable being

discussed would involve him triggering a party leadership contest in July 2008.

He would remain as prime

minister while the succession was resolved, allowing the new leader to take over that autumn.

A Downing

Street spokesman declined to comment other than to point to Mr Blair's statement of last September in which

he said that if re-elected he would serve a full third term.

"There has been no change," he

said.
[/quote]
Make every moment count!
<!--QuoteBegin-greenhorn+May 8 2005, 05:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (greenhorn @ May 8 2005, 05:04

AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> "Yes man" is that prison slang for

biiiitch?

[Image: yuk.gif] <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div

class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No, more like, "Yes, sir boss, whatever you say, boss,"

anytime the US needs the UK to back "us" up.
"I fought Sugar Ray (Robinson) so many times, it's a wonder I don't have diabetes" -- Jake LaMotta

[Image: bybyetn.jpg]
I

voted Lib Dems not that it made any difference

Looks like we have to put up with lap dog Blair yet again,

can't stand the guy [Image: hmm.gif]
lol i

voted labour [Image: biggrin.gif] [Image: laugh.gif]
its not

that i like labour, but michael howard just reminds me of a moaning baby. Just picture blair and howard fighting

it out in a ring and you'll get what i mean. I can't imagine him being PM.
experience is valuable only to the extent that the future is like the past
<!--QuoteBegin-ollytang+May 12 2005, 07:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%'

cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ollytang @ May 12 2005, 07:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td

id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> its not that i like labour, but michael howard just reminds me of a moaning

baby. Just picture blair and howard fighting it out in a ring and you'll get what i mean. I can't

imagine him being PM. [/quote]
Well

Howard won't be. he's standing down as leader. Which makes me furious - it'll be either Liam Fox or

David David as leader. It's a choice between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. Rather apt that it's blue

too. This new Shadow Chancellor George Osborne seems like a good egg, but he's so effing young at 33.

I'm worried that they'll try and push him for too much responsibility when too young ( like they did

with Hague) and he'll cock up ( anyone remember Hague's baseball cap. Ouch).
I

think the most effective "conservative" (small c) has been the present lot of jokers..... I feel sorry

for the tories... they've had their clothes nicked....

David Blunkett was such a right wing Home

Secretary, he made Norman Tebbitt look like a habituee of the Admiral Duncan on Old Compton Street.