Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SoCal Fires
Man, has it been a weekend.

I work down in Irvine area, and everything is blanketed in grey. The sun no longer shines brightly, only dimmly and brown through the ash. Few of my coworkers had to leave to try to save what they have in their homes, cross their fingers and hope that nothing happens. The smoke smell has completely filled this building and I am suprised the bosses haven't sent anyone home due to health. I think I may go home because my nose, eyes and lungs hurt, i feel i am going to throw up and I want to cough every minute.

Today seems particularly bad in our area because there is no wind to wash the air, however I hope that this gives the fighters a chance to make a difference today. Hopefully the winds have died down for the rest of the week. Not entirely sure what the weather is like in other areas, but hopefully the wind has died down a bit at least.

Just wanted to say that I hope everyone around is doing okay...

On a lighter note I got this nice email from people at work

One of the girls here sent a "Happy Apocalypse" email and one of our coworkers sent a reply:

"Hey, I think she is onto something with her Apocalypse sighting:

The 7 Seals to be broken on the doomsday scroll:

The First Seal: The false prophets that will deceive many. How do you think George W got elected? CHECK

The Second Seal: To make men slay each other, he was given a large Sword. Can anyone say Pyramid Head? CHECK

The Third Seal: Famine, Pestilence and Locusts. We were plagued by Ants, Termites and Rats. CHECK

The Fourth Seal: Earthquakes and Hurricanes. CHECK and CHECK.

The Fifth Seal: You will be hated by all nations. Anyone seen the global popularity rating for the United States lately? CHECK

The Sixth Seal: The Moon will turn blood red (recent Lunar Eclipse) and the Sun will turn black (see pix below). CHECK and CHECK.

The Seventh Seal: When he opened the seventh seal, the seven angels stood before God, and to them were given seven trumpets. Red Sox defeat the '07 Angels, then win Pennant in Seven. CHECK.

Well, that just about covers it. We're doomed. >8-O"

Fire1

Fire2

Fire3

Jolene -- very good to hear you're okay. My mom's in Cali, too, so I worry about everyone out there .... take care, and keep us posted.
glad to hear you are OK

was hermosa beach affected? santa monica?
sorry it's hard to tell from the maps i've seen..

thanks

delia
hokubeinews.com/en/columns/Tomi-Talk
Doesn't look like the fires have spread south to Santa Monica from Malibu just yet.
I know how you feel. I live near Pasadena so while the smoke might not be as bad as where you are in my area there is still ash on my car and stuff.
Yeah - I was in LA for about a day and a half staying with my brother (Costa Mesa) and we were wondering why it was so smoggy outside on Sunday. We hadn't watched the news all weekend...

I remember waking up and my nose/throat were really, really dry, and all the potted plants had been knocked off the balcony because of the strong winds. Then as we took off in the airplane that evening, I looked out the window and saw just how covered in smoke the whole area was.

On another note, getting a little worried about kristina. She hasn't been on since Friday or so, as far as I can tell.
[Image: colmar06.11.2005-010--113--48917.jpg]
^ Not quite sure how to take that, but YAY, Kristina is okay!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

(very nice pic, though)
Yep, I'm good. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Here's a map of So Cal.

[Image: LAMap.jpg]

I'm basically where Redondo Beach/Long Beach is.

The fires are in the mountainous region between Thousand Oaks and Santa Monica (Malibu), Santa Clarita, Irvine, near the region between Hesperia and San Bernardino, and much south in San Diego (Escondido, Fallbrook, Ramona, etc).

It's been raining ashes for about 3 days though. I'm not near any hillsides or vegetation. I was stuck in San Diego on Sunday and had to drive through the Escondido fire and drove past the one in Irvine as well. Very close for comfort.
You're in the Redondo/Long Beach area? I thought you were out in Orange County for some reason...

My mom actually lives in San Pedro [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
i was in santa ana for almost 3 months. and then 1 month in new port beach. i used to go to yaohan and video tokyo and that huge mall in costa mesa. forgot the name. and i used to eat lunch at ihop. heard yaohan changed name to something else. there was this surf shop next to video tokyo and there was this japanese guy working and he asked where i was from and i said norway in japanese and he said, oh norway cool and i replied norway samuiyo. and he kept answering back in english. i just had to give up eventhough my japanese was better than his english. i suppose he had his own interests and i the same.

i hope everyone is allright. what i dont understand is that how do fires spread out like they do? there is one fire here and then an another fire in a different place. are some of the fires man made as in some pchyco torching.?
Quote:Give us the answers or stay the f*ck away from this thread, loser!
FATGuy
2 of the fires have been linked to arson (meaning they were set by someone intentionally). The rest have either been by coincidence due to the really dry weather, and the fact that the winds were reaching 70 mph, causing burning embers to spread and set fire to new locations.

(You're talking about the South Coast Plaza shopping mall... it's *huge*)
despite my anti american ramblings i had a great time in california. nice place.. yeah? but politics is a differnet issue. i wount bore you with that for some time. i promise.

FATGuy
Cali is, indeed, a very nice place [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] ... I miss my mom [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] ...
where are you living these days? far away from california?
FATGuy
^ AB - I live on the opposite coast ... in a state full of stupid people (except for South Florida ... less stupid people).
Ah, thought you were still in Malibu area Kris.

Yeah, Yaohan changed its name years ago to Mitsuwa.
<!--quoteo(post=195733:date=Oct 25 2007, 02:52 PM:name=hapacheese)-->QUOTE(hapacheese @ Oct 25 2007, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->2 of the fires have been linked to arson (meaning they were set by someone intentionally).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Damnit. Wasn't this the case with the Greek fire as well?

What the hell is wrong with people?
<!--quoteo(post=195729:date=Oct 25 2007, 10:25 AM:name=hapacheese)-->QUOTE(hapacheese @ Oct 25 2007, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You're in the Redondo/Long Beach area? I thought you were out in Orange County for some reason...

My mom actually lives in San Pedro [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm in Torrance/Gardena (I only said RB and LB because it was on the map). [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Nice! My fiance's parents live in Torrance, and my mom is like 10 minutes from there.

(If you're looking for great, izakaya-style Japanese food, I highly recommend Musha on Western and Carson, near the Mitsuwa. Their cheese risotto and buta no kakuni are fantastic. Also recommend Japonica on PCH down toward the beach - same style of place with a better atmosphere, but I think the food is a little better at Musha.)