Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SoCal Fires
<!--quoteo(post=195747:date=Oct 25 2007, 01:46 PM:name=Jolene)-->QUOTE(Jolene @ Oct 25 2007, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Ah, thought you were still in Malibu area Kris.

Yeah, Yaohan changed its name years ago to Mitsuwa.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hehe, I went to the Mitsuwa plaza in Torrance and had lunch. Wakame udon and chicken katsu curry. Yummmm. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blush21.gif[/img]

I graduated Pepperdine University in 2004, which was very close to the fires.

[Image: malibu-fire-map.jpg]

Malibu Presbyterian burned right to the ground, as did Castle Kashan. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] Sadly, the castle was in escrow and was supposed to sell yesterday for $17 million. That, is now left to wood and ash.

[Image: 20071021_022247_church_GALLERY.jpg]

[Image: castle%20kashan%20malibu%20destroyed%20f...ngeles.jpg]

So, the fires got very close to Pepperdine. Heard they almost reached the theme tower. Also, the only major damage Pepperdine had was the burning up of 2 maintenance vehicles. School resumed yesterday after they opened up PCH. Then.. it was shut down again after a huge fatality crash involving a semi. Gah.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Here's a video of some kids on Pepperdine's campus. You can see the School of Law building with the smoke right behind it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okrHe3ajrgA

I'm in an area where there are a lot of homes, so I would never be in quite the same risk as these people near dry brush and vegetation. We had winds that were reported up to 50-100mph in certain areas. You add that to 0% humidity, dry brush and a lack of firefighting crews to fight that, you end up with hundreds of thousands of burned acres and evacuees.

<!--quoteo(post=195763:date=Oct 25 2007, 04:12 PM:name=hapacheese)-->QUOTE(hapacheese @ Oct 25 2007, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Nice! My fiance's parents live in Torrance, and my mom is like 10 minutes from there.

(If you're looking for great, izakaya-style Japanese food, I highly recommend Musha on Western and Carson, near the Mitsuwa. Their cheese risotto and buta no kakuni are fantastic. Also recommend Japonica on PCH down toward the beach - same style of place with a better atmosphere, but I think the food is a little better at Musha.)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have you guys ever heard of Iccho? It's one of my favorite Japanese restaurants! It's in Rolling Hills Plaza and is only open from 5:30pm to 2am (dinner). It's awesome!

I know exactly where (and work very close to) that Western/Carson Japanese restaurant.
The Sun is very red at sunset this evening, as there is still a lot of ash and smoke in the skies over Los Angeles
Matthew Ota
I saw a photo of California with smoke coming out of it, and I thought it was a crappy piece of clipart. Then I was told it was an actual satellite picture, and that was actual smoke, not a crappy attempt at art. That really hit hard.
holy crap
[Image: California.TMOA2003299_lrg.jpg]
[color="#FF8C00"]..,:;"{/'-*~human rights~*-'\}";:,..[/color]

[color="#000080"]I am a citizen of the world[/color]

[color="#008080"]We can not plead against inhuman tyrannies if we don't know what it is to be human. - Robin Fox, anthropologist

[/color]

[color="#00FF00"][url="http://www.racefortibet.org"]Race For Tibet[/url][/color]

YOU ARE SAYING IMPUDENCE TO ME! THAT IS IMPUDENCE!
Yeah, that's the one I saw.
Thanks for starting this thread Jo-chan. Good to know all you SoCal halvsies have had good luck so far (except the breathing part, eh?) and no one was burned out of their home. Also glad to hear those of you who have family and friends in those areas haven't had any bad news to report, other than all that smoke and ash.

That's a helluva satellite pic, hoshi. Looks like that stuff's swirling around enough to where we might be getting some fallout up here (about 300-400 miles north) in the next few days, if the winds blow the right way.

I hear they've arrested someone (more than one? I don't know for sure) in connection with at least one of the fires. Also that they've discovered four more fatalities in one of the burn areas.

At any rate, I hope CalFire and all the rest of the crews down there get some rain/fog/humidity to help out along with some calmer winds to help quell further destruction, and take care folks....

Here are a couple links to Nat'l Weather Svc forecasts for LA and San Diego counties...

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick....eld2=-118.24278

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick....eld2=-117.15639
[color="#0000FF"]Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak....or in some cases, post.[/color]
It's very foggy this AM. My hope is that will settle some of the fires and the ashes too. It's been very difficult to breathe the past few days. It feels like you're near a fireplace or something.. 24/7 when you're outside.
my aunt and uncle live over in LA..i hope they're ok..i'm gonna ask is my mum or grand mum called them
[color="#FF8C00"]..,:;"{/'-*~human rights~*-'\}";:,..[/color]

[color="#000080"]I am a citizen of the world[/color]

[color="#008080"]We can not plead against inhuman tyrannies if we don't know what it is to be human. - Robin Fox, anthropologist

[/color]

[color="#00FF00"][url="http://www.racefortibet.org"]Race For Tibet[/url][/color]

YOU ARE SAYING IMPUDENCE TO ME! THAT IS IMPUDENCE!
yeah i knew you were in Malibu at some point, wasn't sure if you were still there or moved back to Torrance.

As far as that picture, was it in 2003?
i know there were bad fires a few years ago, looked just like these ones. greyed all of LA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Fire
Wow, amazing pictures. I'm glad they managed to get the fires under control now.
Good boys goes to Heaven.

Bad boys goes to Lapland.
We have a little house in San Diego, in the area bordering Rancho Bernardo/Escondido - and were so close to the whole neighborhood burning down. 2 houses on our street were destroyed, but other than that, the flames somehow leapt over the community, crossed the I-15, and went on to do lots more damage on the other side (West Rancho Bernardo). Entire streets just 200m both east and west of our place were really badly burned.

Wasn't a pleasant week last week, feeling so helpless out here...

But our tenants and friends in the neighborhood have reported they're okay, and have been able to return home. Two friends in Ramona still don't have water, but are also back home.
[color="#9ACD32"]Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

[/color]
Oh wow... glad to hear it, Chiquita! A little hope amidst the destruction [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]